Thoughts on Blizzard's upcoming Overwatch?

AcidParadox

I can't believe I haven't seen this game until now, looks like blizzard wants some market share on the competitive fps genre. By the artstyle and some gameplay mechanics, I think they want to attract dota and LoL players. 

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYC44YPb_5k

Personally, I will probably love this game or hate it. For example, I don't like that there's a class that has a special ability that's literally a wallhack or there's another character that with a press of a button you become invincible and kill your target. 

Hey kid, do you suck at fps? Don't worry, we incorporated league of legends moves on this game, so press this button and kill everybody, wait for cooldown and repeat.

• Like 2

I dig it.

So f***ing sick of callofbrownbattlefieldsimulator#2193.

No good arena shooters out there. Any that are decent are old as shit or still have balancing issues. Modern military sims are stale. f*** yo realism. Bring back fun weapons and skill play.

The 'wallhack' ability doesn't even look bad. I'm willing to bet it has a short timer and a long cooldown. And I'm sure that the character also lacks in other areas to offset it. It'll probably be balanced for team combos anyhow.

I hate games like LOL or DOTA simply for the type of people that you see playing them. However, I'd be willing to give it a shot in FPS form if it's done right. Can't be any worse than TF2.

• Like 2

The 'wallhack' ability doesn't even look bad. I'm willing to bet it has a short timer and a long cooldown. And I'm sure that the character also lacks in other areas to offset it. It'll probably be balanced for team combos anyhow.

That's what I am hoping for. Because I would hate to get my ass kicked by a kid just because his class was designed to be the counter of mine. Skill should always come above classes.

Like in Tf2, a skilled scout can kill a noob heavy.

I dig it.

So f***ing sick of callofbrownbattlefieldsimulator#2193.

No good arena shooters out there. Any that are decent are old as shit or still have balancing issues. Modern military sims are stale. f*** yo realism. Bring back fun weapons and skill play.

I hate games like LOL or DOTA simply for the type of people that you see playing them. However, I'd be willing to give it a shot in FPS form if it's done right. Can't be any worse than TF2.

I take offense to the fact that you hate games like DOTA or LOL. I actually don't care for LOL, but am engaged in DOTA. All in all- I do like the look of this game especially digging the FPS portion.

That's what I am hoping for. Because I would hate to get my ass kicked by a kid just because his class was designed to be the counter of mine. Skill should always come above classes.

Like in Tf2, a skilled scout can kill a noob heavy.

TF2 sucks. Just saying. ;P

I still think that in this game (at least from the video that was posted) there will still be class hierarchy then skill hierarchy. From the standpoint of the video the abilities of some of the characters are stronger then those of the others. For example the characters with the guns can really stronghold the objectives, especially with the set up of the maps. The healer doesn't seem to be powerful at all nor has a weapon that does much damage. Widowmaker is a sniper, with an auto sniper. That promises a lot of class over skill. 

However this is the first I've heard of the game or seen it, so I don't want to drag it down on the mere presumptions from one video. I think I'm going to look into it.

I still think that in this game (at least from the video that was posted) there will still be class hierarchy then skill hierarchy. From the standpoint of the video the abilities of some of the characters are stronger then those of the others. For example the characters with the guns can really stronghold the objectives, especially with the set up of the maps. The healer doesn't seem to be powerful at all nor has a weapon that does much damage. Widowmaker is a sniper, with an auto sniper. That promises a lot of class over skill. 

Sure, I don't mind the "this class > that class" model. My point is: It's not the same that "it will be difficult to beat a stronger class that yours" than "it is IMPOSSIBLE to win against that class".

That's what I don't want to see. 

• Like 1

Can't say until seen the cooldowns of the skills / reset mechanic.

The trailer reminds me of games like Brink, or Hellgate:London, where there was much hype and a damn bad execution on release, a measly management of balancing and a lackluster ability to listen to community concerns.

Time will tell if this will find the way into my library or not :-)

Sure, I don't mind the "this class > that class" model. My point is: It's not the same that "it will be difficult to beat a stronger class that yours" than "it is IMPOSSIBLE to win against that class".

That's what I don't want to see.

Ahh then yes that was my misunderstanding. It should be interesting to see with more releases how this works out.

So far all games of blizzard have a very good quality when it comes to gameplay, i'm hoping they continue that in the FPS genre.

So far all games of blizzard have a very good quality when it comes to gameplay, i'm hoping they continue that in the FPS genre.

I agree, I'm not big on the graphic style but I could say that about WOW and I thoroughly enjoyed that for years. If Blizzard dedicates a ton of resources to it (I'm sure they will), it should have a fairly balanced game play. They constantly update WoW by changing class abilities to balance the game. This could be a winner. 

Wallhack ability could be even downside, especially when there are a lot of bots running around. It would make perception of battlefield very confusing as it is in Titanfall. Also in fast paced game a wh ability only on skoped sniper doesn´t work very well, unless on chokepoints as it was shown in trailer.

Matchmaking and keeping out cheaters are the turning tides.

Don´t like the future realistic characters in historical scenery and no backround story was given in that trailer neither.