Platonic

People have a lot to read these days. If it's e-mails they have to read, forums they need to check, books they need to read,... Doesn't matter, it all takes a lot of time.

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2009/07/30/speed-reading-and-accelerated-learning/

This tutorial shows you how you can increase your reading speed. I haven't tried it myself but it seems worth trying it out. Will let you know here if it worked, I invite you to do the same.

If you -ironically - don't like reading, here's a video version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZqXBhGR_W8

• Like 4

Once I took a class in fast reading. Paid it about 500$ dollars lol and it's weird. It's like, you do read faster but thats not thorough reading. There's one type of reading called "dolphin" type in which you really just read about 10 words per page and later you connect them all and make some kind of mental map about the book. It did the trick, and it's good with belles lettres, I would read acc 60 pages in 7 minutes.

But you caaaan't study with it :D

Why rush, if u can take it slow and easy, if u aint got time for it, then dont read at all, i rather read something properly than half of stuffs missed out and then knocking my head later on because nothing makes any sense out of those posts.

Why rush, if u can take it slow and easy, if u aint got time for it, then dont read at all, i rather read something properly than half of stuffs missed out and then knocking my head later on because nothing makes any sense out of those posts.

This topic stems from this status; http://fearless-assassins.com/statuses/user/9195-von-rantala/?status_id=104078

• Like 2

Yeah, but some people just don't have enough time and have to read a lot. Not for fun.

And this power reading was actually kind of an exercise for brain and concentration, it did me good.

...for a short while.

The crucial thing with it is that you have to continue reading like that and exercising for it to stick with you. I didn't.

Not really hard tho, read whats important, leave out the rest, that's how i always did :P

Yeah, but some people just don't have enough time and have to read a lot. Not for fun.

And this power reading was actually kind of an exercise for brain and concentration, it did me good.

...for a short while.

The crucial thing with it is that you have to continue reading like that and exercising for it to stick with you. I didn't.

Good thing apart of inet, i don't read much :D

Edited by Aniky

Good if retention is not your goal.

It's not really meant to be reading Kant or Hegel with it, but yeah, some stuff you have to read, don't really want and don't really have the time for it :D

• Like 1

There is a kid in my class who is a genius and skips every 6 or 7 words and can fill in the blanks/understand the content. Quite fascinating actually.

• Like 1

I dont know how its work when you have to read in different language than your own :P but will start learning someday, watched video versio, i dont have time or skill to read that long english language article so was good idea to post video!

• Like 1

I dont know how its work when you have to read in different language than your own :P but will start learning someday, watched video versio, i dont have time or skill to read that long english language article so was good idea to post video!

As good as your grammar/knowledge of the foreign language is, if its not the best, then doing fast reading will make it even more confused than if u were reading slow and normal way.

• Like 1

• Clan Friend

It depends on how much you're used to reading in that language. When I read in English I read as fast as I do in Italian (never measured, but I wouldn't be able to speak at that speed), when I read Japanese texts I go like at 70 words per minute, enough said... slower than a snail (but it's a totally different writing system, with no spaces, I have to stop to look up words, etc.)

Of course if you read a novel it makes no sense to read it faster than an audiobook, but if you wanna skim an article to quickly get some infos, it makes sense. People who read a lot might already use some of those techniques subconsciously, in that case they won't be able to improve that much, imho

• Like 2

I dont know how its work when you have to read in different language than your own  :P but will start learning someday, watched video versio, i dont have time or skill to read that long english language article so was good idea to post video!

As good as your grammar/knowledge of the foreign language is, if its not the best, then doing fast reading will make it even more confused than if u were reading slow and normal way.

It's all a matter of preference. If you want to understand everything completely, read it slowly. But if you want to scout a text, for example if you're not sure if it's going to be important, fast reading can be a great option. In this case you don't need to understand every word, only what's being said approximately.

This is exactly the skill you need if you want to check every single topic on forum. Not everything is important, so it makes no sense trying to figure out every word of it.

Sunlight: "I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia." (Woody Allen)
Exactly this, only: sometimes you don't want to know anything more than that :)

+the other things sunlight said, because he's a smart guy.

• Like 2

• Clan Friend

Another thing, to read quickly, read with your eyes and brain not with your mouth.

Apparently, in the past reading silently wasn't common (lol) and people read only aloud. Or so they say. Most people, even if they don't actually read aloud still activate those muscles, and that slows you down.

• Like 1