We already knew we were much smarter anyway.

Jahrasta

• Leader

Quote:  "There’s already an abundance of evidence that shows that expert AVG players (gamers who are regional or national champions at AVG competitions) have superior cognitive ability to amateurs. "

Are they expert  champions because they were born that way and were attracted to gaming, or did intense gaming increase their cognitive functions and the "gray matter" mentioned in the article?   :)

• Like 2

I would say that's result of numerous hours of practise time put into particular game where u push ur brains, common sense and logic to it's limit to gain that bit of advantage and skills over the rest, considering u are practising on daily basis and your brains have to keep up with the phase of the game on every point, it's obviously that u will show progress of better thinking and overall appear to find better solution in real llfe cases as well. Comparing to casual ppl who don't really do much apart of work > food > watch tv > sleep kind of cycle, they don't really give brains opportunity to work out as it should, so the brains can't really progress into learning or achiving anything that isn't out of the daily basis stuffs.

• Like 3

• Clan Friend

As many people commented there, the point is: did they get smarter because they played videogames, or they weren't noobs because they were smarter in the first place? afaik there is a slight correlation between high iq and fast reaction time, obviously if your brain works better and it's faster you will play better, but the key point is, playing more will make us smarter?

It is obviously some kind of training, so it will develop some brain areas for sure, but I don't know how useful can it be in other areas

• Like 1

it's the classic egg or chicken question.

I assume it's a bit of both, and that one enhances the other, too. Life, normally, isn't just as plain simple as we'd like it to :)

• Like 1

I was hoping points like this would be made, but surely we are exercising our grey matter to a greater extent than those that do not. Anyway, keep on keeping on.

• Leader

I wonder if gaming experience helps when driving a car or 'cycle.  We might be more aware of danger or movement in our peripheral vision.

One study concluded that gamers texting while driving do no better than non-gamers.

I wonder if gaming experience helps when driving a car or 'cycle.  We might be more aware of danger or movement in our peripheral vision.

One study concluded that gamers texting while driving do no better than non-gamers.

peripheral vision also helps you spot other things than dangers :D

• Like 1

• Leader

Hence why we are an an Army as well as a community.

And yet you say, "Brain Damage." on your wall!   :)

(I learned my logic from TV commentators)