Laptop keys are failing

Flible

Hiho. Copied this from another forum I asked this on ^^

My laptop (ASUS k55vd) is showing some problems with its keys. Oddly enough it comes and it goes. At times, I have to press hard for a key to work, while 5 seconds later it works like any other key. Which key is affected seems random. It also seems like when I use a key an additional few times (by pressing real hard) it works normally again, if only for a while.
I've never spilled anything in my laptop, and I have always paid attention to my laptop's ability to vent warmth.

One example is when I try to log in to my laptop, the 4-key doesn't work (on both numpad and the other 4, oddly enough). When I press real hard I hear a sound almost as if static electricity was being channeled. Once logged in, I can use the 4 key without troubles on my chrome address bar or in a word document.

I have had this problem with my laptop before. Resetting to pre-installation settings didn't help. The helpdesk answered me to update my Bios and it'll solve anything, which it didn't, after which I sent my laptop in for repairs. The repaired unit was described as: "keyboard", which I guess is a rather broad term.
It worked for a year since the repairs, but now I have the same problem. Having to send it back in means formatting it, and I'd like to prevent that.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance

Have you considered:

1. Using a usb keyboard.

2. Replacing the keyboard.

3. Pressing the key from different angles.

Edited by jaie
  • Like 1

1 is a temporary fix. If my laptop is this broken it's bound to deteriorate unless I fix it.

2 is an impossibility. It took the national ASUS center 2 months to import the right keyboard for my laptop the last time I sent it in for repairs.

3. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, but it's still a temporary fix. The problem remains.

I don't have the white dots on my keyboard, but yes, it does look like my keyboard. The laptop used in the video differs significantly from my own

• Leader

I don't have the white dots on my keyboard, but yes, it does look like my keyboard. The laptop used in the video differs significantly from my own

If you watch the video, it shows you how to find LaptopInventory's video-guides for many different models on their site

The keyboard in the video is very easy to replace.  You don't even have to take the machine apart!  Just take care with disconnecting the mini-ribbon cable!  :)  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...