Need help - Gtx 970

BluE*

hi guys..I updated my gpu to Gtx 970...

Opened the comp..installed everything (latest drivers)

And everything was working fine...I wanted to try testing in games..

Opened far cry 3..computer crashed..like fully shut down..

Need help :'( pleaaaseee

My computer spec:

(Alienware x51 r2)

Intel i7 4770k

8gb ram

Gtx 745(upgraded to Gtx 970)

1tb hdd

Opened far cry 3..computer crashed..like fully shut down..

My computer spec:

(Alienware x51 r2)

Intel i7 4770k

8gb ram

Gtx 745(upgraded to Gtx 970)

1tb hdd

What wattage does your power supply put out? Sounds like it's not enough. Did your power button go amber or start blinking?

• Like 2

Idk abt the power supply properly..but the power button didn't blink or go Amber..it just went off...anyways I can play ET properly :P

170Watts I guess..

Idk abt the power supply properly..but the power button didn't blink or go Amber..it just went off...anyways I can play ET properly :P

170Watts I guess..

There's your problem. Even with a 300W power supply, your computer would probably still shut off due to a lack of power.

Did some basic calculations, you'd need at least 380w. Go with a 500W+ PSU.

• Like 3

There's your problem. Even with a 300W power supply, your computer would probably still shut off due to a lack of power.

Did some basic calculations, you'd need at least 380w. Go with a 500W+ PSU.

So need to upgrade my PSU also? Some suggestions please

So need to upgrade my PSU also? Some suggestions please

Antec, Corsair, and Thermaltake are good brands. If you can afford a "modular" one, go with one of those- as the cable management and reduced clutter will help airflow inside of your case, and it'll look better.

If you're not planning on doing any more upgrades except for a hard disk, RAM, overclocking or something like that, go with 500-750W. If you're planning on adding a second GPU in a SLI/CrossFire array, I'd go for around 850W.

There's two things going for having some "clearance" at the top end, instead of maxing out a PSU:

1. The components will last much longer
  2. There's room for upgrades, and it works out being cheaper in the end buying 1, instead of 2 PSUs. ;)
  • Like 3

The main problem is I don't have room for upgrades..its a small form factor pc.

Only less upgrades can be made..

I'm thinking of going with corsair vs550 with 550watts and no..am not going to update gfx cards or put em in a sli connection..

Like I said there's no room for sli :P

I wonder how long PSU your PC case fits? Remember to unplug your PC for wall when opening the case!

VS is lowest of the lowest, better take Fortron or Chieftec instead, cheap but solid. Corsair even cuts edges on RM series.

Best choise would be Seasonic ofc. And affording 400$ GPU and getting cheapest PSU is not the way to build PC...

• Like 3

Another possibility is rigging a larger PSU from outside the case, running the cables in through the back section normally blocked by the PSU. Not attractive, but a solution none-the-less.

• Like 1

Since you have quite good specs I would really go with changing the PSU because you will have more room for any kind of upgrade even tho you said there is no room for SLI there is still a lot of things that will consume more power. I would consider 600w because it will definately last you longer while upgrading your PC but of course for the current setup 550w should be enough.

These are my suggestions: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10600kr- http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600m http://www.amazon.com/SeaSonic-550-Watt-CrossFire-Certified-SSR-550RM/dp/B00918MEZG?tag=bestpsus-20

EVGA 600B is 80+ bronze certified which is not the best but it will do just fine. It is not modular so if you have acrylic side panel it won't look so nice and cables just make a mess inside your case as Xernicus already said.

Corsair CX600m is really popular one its also 80+ bronze certified and the good thing is that it's semi modular so only motherboard and CPU cables are fixed to the PSU and they are important so no need to even have them modular imo.

SeaSonic G-Series 550w is 80+ gold certified so it is a bit better and it is also semi modular PSU.

Just if you're thinking of getting something else be sure that it supports Haswell, there is not much PSU's that doesn't support it but you never know.

• Like 2

It is gold certified, and Corsair makes decent products. Never heard anything bad about them, but they were a tad more expensive then others. Supports Haswell, and is semi modular, so should be a good choice.

• Like 2

Guys...theres also another problem...i cant change the psu..because the psu in Alienware x51 R2 is external..in the form of an AC adapter..

There is a powerboard inside it..which supports till 330w..and only EVGA's reference cards are compaitable it seems(though i dont understand what a reference card is) for example : https://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-1970-KR 

What can i do?? need help please.

There is two types of graphic cards: Reference card and custom card.

Reference card is made by blueprints for that exact card like gtx960 reference card is made with standard gtx960 blueprints or howevet you wanna call it.

Custom cards are redesigned by each manufacturer, basicly they make cooling on them better so they are better for overclocking and they also redesing the PCB so it can be really really hard to find a water cooling block for them. Since they are quite better than the reference cards they are more expensive but you do get more performance out of them.

I looked up some pics of your pc and to be honest I've never seen that kind of PSU, it's just wierd and if it support only up to 330w then I don't know what could be the solution.

• Like 1