Need help - Gtx 970

BluE*

There is two types of graphic cards: Reference card and custom card.

Reference card is made by blueprints for that exact card like gtx960 reference card is made with standard gtx960 blueprints or howevet you wanna call it.

Custom cards are redesigned by each manufacturer, basicly they make cooling on them better so they are better for overclocking and they also redesing the PCB so it can be really really hard to find a water cooling block for them. Since they are quite better than the reference cards they are more expensive but you do get more performance out of them.

I looked up some pics of your pc and to be honest I've never seen that kind of PSU, it's just wierd and if it support only up to 330w then I don't know what could be the solution.

Anyways Thank you for your help and info :) 

il just search and find a solution...There is always a solution..

• Like 1

Guys...theres also another problem...i cant change the psu..because the psu in Alienware x51 R2 is external..in the form of an AC adapter..

There is a powerboard inside it..which supports till 330w..and only EVGA's reference cards are compaitable it seems(though i dont understand what a reference card is) for example : https://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-1970-KR 

What can i do?? need help please.

Well you have two options, one is to return the GTX970.

I ran some more calculations, you would be able to run the computer at full power with a 330W power supply... you'd have (very) limited upgrade abilities though.

A few questions:

1. How many sticks of DDR make up your 8GB? 1x8GB or 2x4GB?

2. How many fans are inside the case? For example, atm I've got 3 in mine, including the CPU cooler, chassis exhaust, and side chassis intake.

3. How many hard drives are inside the computer? I'm presuming just 1x1TB.

• Like 1

Well you have two options, one is to return the GTX970.

I ran some more calculations, you would be able to run the computer at full power with a 330W power supply... you'd have (very) limited upgrade abilities though.

A few questions:

1. How many sticks of DDR make up your 8GB? 1x8GB or 2x4GB?

2. How many fans are inside the case? For example, atm I've got 3 in mine, including the CPU cooler, chassis exhaust, and side chassis intake.

3. How many hard drives are inside the computer? I'm presuming just 1x1TB.

Returning the gpu is a no go i guess..

1. 2x4gb

2. 1 cpu cooler and another to small fan to let out heat i guess. ( 2 fans in gpu :P)

3. 1x1TB just like u presumed. 

So your 4 options I think are:

1. Look at upgrading the internal power board to support a larger external supply.

2. Look at a 330 watts external power supply,

3. Look at video cards which require less power.

4. Look at a larger case which can support a larger internal power supply.

Or what xernicus said

Edited by jaie
  • Like 1

Alright, so you're up to 310W of constant draw. No need to worry about the GPU fans, they're included in the TDP of the GPU.

• If you upgrade to 16GB with 4 sticks of 4GB, then you'd be at 320W. (So if you upgrade your ram, I'd upgrade to a 2x8GB config)
  • You could plug in 5-6 USB devices in your current config without overloading the 330W PSU. Plugging in a 7th would result in your computer turning off.
  • In your current config, you'd be able to put in one 1x PCI-e card, along with up to four USB devices.
  • I would not tinker with overclocking, your power usage is too close to the edge, I could imagine the automatic Load Line Control kicking in and taking too much power at any given moment.
  • EDIT: You could not add another hard drive, you'd have to stick with 1 HD, and upgrade based on capacity needs.

Let me know if you want me to simulate some more situations. :P

I do have some experience with running a PSU on it's edge... I remember maxing my RAM out at 4GB killed it. xD It was interesting to say the least. I was glad to upgrade away from that machine (which also took a proprietary PSU design).

Edited by Xernicus
  • Like 2

Alright, so you're up to 310W of constant draw. No need to worry about the GPU fans, they're included in the TDP of the GPU.

• If you upgrade to 16GB with 4 sticks of 4GB, then you'd be at 320W. (So if you upgrade your ram, I'd upgrade to a 2x8GB config)
  • You could plug in 5-6 USB devices in your current config without overloading the 330W PSU. Plugging in a 7th would result in your computer turning off.
  • In your current config, you'd be able to put in one 1x PCI-e card, along with up to four USB devices.
  • I would not tinker with overclocking, your power usage is too close to the edge, I could imagine the automatic Load Line Control kicking in and taking too much power at any given moment.
  • EDIT: You could not add another hard drive, you'd have to stick with 1 HD, and upgrade based on capacity needs.

Let me know if you want me to simulate some more situations. :P

I do have some experience with running a PSU on it's edge... I remember maxing my RAM out at 4GB killed it. xD It was interesting to say the least. I was glad to upgrade away from that machine (which also took a proprietary PSU design).

what. i didnt get ur point. i cant even run a single game..

first i need to think of making my gpu properly work..i cant understand what u saying :P

So your 4 options I think are:

1. Look at upgrading the internal power board to support a larger external supply.

2. Look at a 330 watts external power supply,

3. Look at video cards which require less power.

4. Look at a larger case which can support a larger internal power supply.

Or what xernicus said ↓↓

1 and 2 i can consider.. 3 and 4 nop

what. i didnt get ur point. i cant even run a single game..

first i need to think of making my gpu properly work..i cant understand what u saying :P

1 and 2 i can consider.. 3 and 4 nop

Take out your GTX970, and put the 745 back in for now- before you fry your motherboard or your brand new GPU. Put the 970 back in only after you've fixed your power problem.

The basic reason why you can run *some* games, and not others, is how much load they take (FC3 is *very* graphics intensive), and whether the graphics are rendering on your GPU (which is the case with FC3), or CPU (like ET does).

When your computer is at idle (ie: doing nothing), or basic work like web browsing, the power consumption is under 170W. Run FC3, and all of the sudden the power usage is at 270W or whatever, and that's more than your computer is supplied- and thus it turns off due to what's called a "brownout" condition.

• Like 1

Take out your GTX970, and put the 745 back in for now- before you fry your motherboard or your brand new GPU. Put the 970 back in only after you've fixed your power problem.

The basic reason why you can run *some* games, and not others, is how much load they take (FC3 is *very* graphics intensive), and whether the graphics are rendering on your GPU (which is the case with FC3), or CPU (like ET does).

When your computer is at idle (ie: doing nothing), or basic work like web browsing, the power consumption is under 170W. Run FC3, and all of the sudden the power usage is at 270W or whatever, and that's more than your computer is supplied- and thus it turns off due to what's called a "brownout" condition.

Now. This makes sense. :):P

Thank you for the tips but what should i do?? how can i fix the power problem?

i want it fixed as soon as possible..

Now. This makes sense. :):P

Thank you for the tips but what should i do?? how can i fix the power problem?

i want it fixed as soon as possible..

If you want the simplest and quickest way, buy the external 330W power supply.

In the future, if you're wanting to keep the Alienware case and hardware and want to do some upgrading, you can go about learning how to rig up a custom PSU solution to the DC input board that's inside of the case.

• Like 1

If you want the simplest and quickest way, buy the external 330W power supply.

In the future, if you're wanting to keep the Alienware case and hardware and want to do some upgrading, you can go about learning how to rig up a custom PSU solution to the DC input board that's inside of the case.

I know am kind of getting annoying..but the PSU in the alienware is in the form of AC adapter and i can only keep the psu outside?? 

if u want to know how the alienwares inside components and parts are  see this : 

this might help you understand the form factor and the way the components are placed..which can ultimately help me :P