Wolf Et, Android/IOS Port

Ben Rugnar Shannon

Wolf Et Port. Good Or Bad?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should I Port ET to Android and IOS? (Multi Vote Enabled)

• Yes!
    • No, It would Ruin the Game...
    • N/A
    • CHESSE AND TOMATO CRACKERS!

Using SDL, I am currently working on Porting WOLF ET (wolfenstein ET) to the android and IOS devices.

IOS - The problem I have though, is that although Wolf ET is a free game, its not leagal to share the .PAK files, Meaning that this is very hard for non "JailBroken" IOS Devices, Also as far as i am aware you canno't use SDL for IOS, as its Linux based (and Android is based on Linux) So i will have to find a way around this... Could possibaly be emulation.

Android - Once again the problem with the .PAK files stands, but now I have SDL Sorted, it does work on my android Device. So my current problem is that it is laggy as it was not designed for mobile devices (Yes It Currently works on my Android Device) Also it works with all FA Servers. But Once again, I must state that it is no where from Finished

What I need - I need aload of People from Android Operating Systems (Cyanogen Mod, Samsung's Touch Wiz, ASOP and Any other android Based system) to test this for me, This will allow for me to accuratly tell what Devices are Working and What devices need Patching and working on.

ANDROID DEVICES DO NOT NEED TO BE ROOTED OR OVERCLOCKED!!!, However if they are. it means i have a better mix of tests. However I would like a mix of Rooted and Non Rooted Android Devices.

In the Near future I will be passing out copys of the Android ported ET for testing to anyone who applies for them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For People who want to be considered for the Beta testing of the WOLF ET android port. please send me an INBOX on the Site, Also post here on the on the topic with your Phone and spesifications for the phone (If your new to modding android and spec Sheets, then the phone model is fine)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Lastly my order of programming is

1st) Android Stability Issues

2nd) Device Patching

3rd) Roll Out Beta Copys

4th) Look into IOS Porting

5th) Examin Data and Hopefully Figure out whats causing Lag issues

6th) Fix Lag Issues From the Gathered Data

7) Start work on IOS Port!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to anyone who Applies (Remember to Inbox me and post Below) And I hope to beable to Serve the ET Community with this port of one of the best Games of all Time!a

• Like 2

What do you use as your base? ET: Legacy or 2.60d Source Code released by id Software? Also, is your code available at Github or Bitbucket?

using the base 2.60 SC but im experimenting with Legacy, and im apprehensive about putting it up on github just yet, i want to keep it community centralised :)

using the base 2.60 SC but im experimenting with Legacy, and im apprehensive about putting it up on github just yet, i want to keep it community centralised :)

ET:L already has unfinished (not maintained) mobile Pandora OS support (Open GL ES renderer) and SDL2 backend, so I think it would be less effort to tweak it?. I guess you already know, but writing just in case :)

https://github.com/etlegacy/etlegacy/tree/otherplatforms

• Like 1

ET:L already has unfinished (not maintained) mobile Pandora OS support (Open GL ES renderer) and SDL2 backend, so I think it would be less effort to tweak it?. I guess you already know, but writing just in case :)

https://github.com/etlegacy/etlegacy/tree/otherplatforms

I do know, but that is really messed up, and i prefer to make it myself so i know it works, and having a look at it. i would take more effort to tweak it rather than making a new one.

May be interested to test along the road. Test on my tablet and phone. Whats the controls?

Touch screen with controler support for JS1 remotes and other types

this would be really cool to see, as so many people have ios or android devices that are more powerful than the laptop or pc they may have to play et. i just got a free iphone 5c, all i had to do was replace the screen, which to my amazement i managed to do without breaking it further XD

if i could play et on it, even if it didn't work quite right, i'd be really pleased and amazed. thanks for doing this work :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

And everybody! I am back! and full development is within swing!

I am working on it as speak and should be ready for beta by christmas!

I'm sorry that i couldn't get this done sooner, but college took over and stuff like that :)

Basically we are running into the problem of textures, as the game runs on the old OPENGL however android does not use this.

SO IN ITS CURRENT STATE! it is ready to go, but it requires a lot of mods to the phone with installing OpenGL

So my solution is to remake the textures for android and make sure they work properly, so this means redoing the textures with conversions and editing the code of the game.

So hopefully by christmas we will have this ready for you!

On the CFG front i'm currently going to be working with Th3ory to get the most optimal cfg's for older phones and higher quality cfg's for more powerful phones.

We might have to have custom keywords to get it to work properly, so hopefully he can help me with making an online converter for the CFG's

Networking is an issue because once again, it uses an older system. Im currently working on fixing this

Currently for every Hour of play, it looks to be about 40mb of 4G+ data.

After testing with stable data types we recommend you atleast have a 3G connection with 4G+ recommended

The Game will auto adjust cl_timenudge every 10 seconds to help with any fluctuations within the connection.

IMPORTANT 

Can you please post here if you want a copy of the beta! I need to compile a spreadsheet! if you've already posted, this is fine. but anyone else who wants a copy! please state so.

So that's what's going on! sorry for disappearing again :)

See some of you Lads & Ladies (And all the inbetween) on the battleField 

If you want to contact me, please PM me or send a note attached to the mortar round within the quadrant of D7 On Oasis...

Pictures will be uploaded soon!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I think that if take ET on android OS need install PS3 controler on Smartphone...

Depends which phone you have(xperia funcions). And you could have external mouse & keyboard :>

• 1 month later...

I've been lurking on here for awhile and only made this account because I was intrigued on the process of the port. I have a few questions as to the port itself if you wouldn't mind answering them Ben.

Is this still an active WIP?

How far in development is the port as of my post?

Will you be including support for Omni bot in case people like myself will most likely be playing this offline?

Will this port also include the ability to add custom maps into the game?

Thanks for your time and if you are still looking for people to test this I'd be more then happy to help since I have free time due to my semester ending.