unstable FPS : new video card and driver

sankar tiger

today i bought new graphics card sapphire hd 7770 ghz version...

and installed all new drivers and

(amd catalyst 13.12  version)

started et:

my fps was oscillating from 1 to 40 ...i really was very annoyed and coud'nt play..../tried every low setting and no help

.....at last after googling and searching for solution in our forums...... i tried seta r_primitives 2

thank god my fps was back to normal 100 :)

i just wonder what causes this problem in new drivers....

i m juz curious to know........................

thanks for reading and replying :D

:hi

After some google searches, I found that alot of people who struggle with FPS drop is becuase their r_primitive setting is wrong, if they have AMD graphic card.

I found this:

r_primitives is a rendering method or something like that

found this on a QuakeLive forum...

ZITAT
r_primitive 0 is the default

r_primitives [-1|0|1|2]
-1 = skips drawing
0 = uses glDrawelements if compiled vertex arrays are present, or strips of glArrayElement if not.
1 = force strips
2 = force drawElements

That problem affects only AMD Radeon graphic cards.
  • Like 1

Update your graphics drivers to 14.12 for one. Anything under 13.14 (which was a beta back in September 2014) created serious issues for me, regardless of /r_primitives setting.

If you're still having issues after updating your drivers, then type in /seta r_primitives 2 and your problem should be solved.

Edited by Xernicus
  • Like 1

Update your graphics drivers to 14.12 for one. Anything under 13.14 (which was a beta back in September 2014) created serious issues for me, regardless of /r_primitives setting.

If you're still having issues after updating your drivers, then type in /seta r_primitives 2 and your problem should be solved.

I've been having problems too. It drove me to reformat and start over. I have an AMD HD 6850 card. I let Windows check for drivers and download them. When I check the driver in device manager, it says it's from 2011 and the version is 8.850.00 (or something like that, not at computer right now). Anyway, I removed that driver and went to AMD website and downloaded the latest. It seems to install properly and my card shows in device manager. I check the driver again and it still says it's from 2011 with the same 8.850.00 version, but the driver I downloaded says it's 14.12 or something like that. Shouldn't I see the 14.12 in device manager? Edited by Scab

Indeed you should be. :hmm Could you point me to the link of your download? Also please provide your OS version and whether it's 32 or 64 bit.

Here's reference of my graphics card, with fully updated drivers. I run ET with damn high quality graphics at stable 76fps:
post-9897-0-52091400-1424422331_thumb.png

EDIT (Anni ninja'd me)... make sure to check and post the information provided by Catalyst, as the package might give us clues as to what's up:
post-9897-0-71975700-1424422634_thumb.png

I've been having problems too. It drove me to reformat and start over. I have an AMD HD 6850 card. I let Windows check for drivers and download them. When I check the driver in device manager, it says it's from 2011 and the version is 8.850.00 (or something like that, not at computer right now). Anyway, I removed that driver and went to AMD website and downloaded the latest. It seems to install properly and my card shows in device manager. I check the driver again and it still says it's from 2011 with the same 8.850.00 version, but the driver I downloaded says it's 14.12 or something like that. Shouldn't I see the 14.12 in device manager?

Don't mix the base driver and the updates. In device manager the driver version displayed is mostly the base. Check using the AMD panel to see if this latter is up-to-date and its version.

EDIT (Anni ninja'd me)...

:P

Edited by Ann!b@l

Ok I'll check later when I get home. I don't have the full package of Catalyst Control Center. I read somewhere that it wasn't necessary. I'll probably go ahead and install it though.

Just removed old driver, and went back to AMD site to get the latest.  This is the link and I chose the first one listed:  http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%207%20-%2032

It installed but my device manager still shows it outdated.  I tried posting a picture but it says I'm not allowed to use that image extension.

i tried the /r_primitives 2, not doing the trick for me.

Scab, on 20 Feb 2015 - 3:22 PM, said:

Just removed old driver, and went back to AMD site to get the latest.  This is the link and I chose the first one listed:  http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%207%20-%2032

It installed but my device manager still shows it outdated.  I tried posting a picture but it says I'm not allowed to use that image extension.

upload on photobucket then copy img link here.

Dat´s probably stupid Windows "Device Installation settings" for you. Control Panel\System and Security\System-> Advanced system settings->Hardware-> "Device Installation settings", tick it to big NO. Then it might let you apply correct drivers at last. At least worked for me on Win8.1.

Also worth to check on "Device Manager" if your chipset drivers have installed correctly, it could show that it finished with installation but in reality there are 10y old MS drivers instead of AMD\Intel.

Btw have you met the system requirements: like Win7 SP1 and Net Framework 4.5, on that AMD link there are more.

Finally got the driver updated and showing correctly.  I removed/deleted everything again, and redownloaded the package from AMD's site.  It installed as usual.  I found the installation folder and clicked the setup icon and it went ahead and installed the latest driver and Catalyst Control Center.  Any recommended settings to change in there for Enemy Territory?