DON'T DOWNLOAD GIMP 2.8 !!!!

Ol Smoke

I decided to do this and got a potful of malware.  From their own website download area !!!!!

I did the custom install and unchecked all the boxes for yahoo crap and after it downloaded and started to install,

all hell broke out.  I got five programs trying to install onto my system.

Luckily I had SuperAntiSpyware installed on here.  It deleted them all.*****

*****Thank you LeftWingVixen for that mention in your post.  Great program.  Glad I bought it.

gimp.org

I may have probably should have used the other one:

gimp.us.com

If you want to you can erase this thread.  I may have jumped the gun a little.

Edited by Ol' Smoke

So, I just went to gimp.org (the official site), downloaded it and started it without any problems. There were no boxes to check for yahoo or anything else...

I just went back there and downloaded it again and a totally different install page came up.  This time with no custom install box on it.

Maybe when you have it installed, it is different.  But that box was there the first time.

Yep, it is weird. As far as I know the downloads on gimp.org should be totally fine to use without having to fear about any malware.

Look at was is happening now:  these are screenshots I just made

29zrasw.jpg

s685c7.jpg

Yep, you got some ad/malware installed. You might want to get that fixed. Malwarebytes or similar might help. (Haven't dealt with any malware in years so I am not sure what is a good one currently. )