Be careful getting a free credit report.

Ol Smoke

There are a lot of commercials on TV about being able to get a free credit report these days.  Here are some reasons not to do that.

1.  Credit reports through 3rd party businesses are not safe.  You will give them every piece of information about you that you can give them.

This includes your SS#, address and so on.  Now your secret stuff is in the hands of some company you don't know squat about.  Their

security measures might be absolutely nothing.  So they get hacked or sell off your stuff,  you are in for a world of hurt.

2.   Even the highest level of credit rating companies don't tell you this little fact.

Everytime you check your credit rating (over 1 time a year) actually hurts your credit rating.  True.  The more you do it, the more it hurts.

3.  The only time you need to check your credit rating, more than once a year, is when you purchase something on a time payment.  Like a car

or house.  But even then, the financial institute selling you the thing is going to run a credit check.  You can get a copy of that then.

I check my credit rating every January 30th.  That way all the things from the previous year are all done.

So be careful out there.

• Like 2

It's such a bullshit system.

Personally, I don't have a credit card and up until I got my new car a few months ago, I had 0 credit.

I just don't believe in spending money you don't have available. It's a moral of mine.

But I'm going to get screwed in the future because all I have to base credit on IS my car payments, and admittedly it made me nervous getting La Roux (my car's name).

Scammers are everywhere out there..

But you also have to remember Smoke, two points are deducted everytime you check your score after a 30-day period.

• Like 3

I just don't believe in spending money you don't have available. It's a moral of mine.

This. Except for a house or a car, I'll always buy stuff I can pay completely.

Though I have a credit card that I use for my everyday purchases, it's always back at 0$ at the end of the month.

I don't know why but I always use it instead of my debit card.

• Like 3

I can get my credit score through my credit card company.  I seen  some bad stuff with some people's credit report. Like this girl at work, she had her credit account stolen and somebody opened up a loan in her name.. She has tired to get that off because it went into default and then on her credit report.   And has a low score.

Then she went to a 3rd party business to help get her credit repair thing well that didn't work that well.  Now I told her to go right back to Equifax, Experian and TransUnion and keep fighting. Equifax is working with her now. 

This is what I told her.

Pay any overdue bills. Pay down as much debt as possible, Make your payments before the billing cycle ends, pay your bills on time! Lie LOW! Don’t make any big purchases, shop around for credit, take out cash advances or miss any payments while you are trying to raise your scores. That kind of behavior is a red flag for creditors.

Thank-you for the post guys  :)

• Like 1

• Administrators

You can check your credit reports free 3 times a year, legit for free of charge. I use discover IT card which gives me my FICO score. Use AMEX cards.. soft queries and increase your credit limit higher ... and it keeps credit to debt ratio lower. :)

This. Except for a house or a car, I'll always buy stuff I can pay completely.

Though I have a credit card that I use for my everyday purchases, it's always back at 0$ at the end of the month.

I don't know why but I always use it instead of my debit card.

Smart way, I would say. I never ever give anywhere my debit card unless online utility bills where required. Credit card and if it's stolen, one call to AMEX, Discover or Chase and replace it and you loose nothing.

Imagine loosing 5K from debit card? Well no protection there. Once gone it's gone. Plus with credit cards I enjoy cash backs. Where ever loan is available at low rate take it, invest hard cash and from that pay of the loan. 1.5% loans are easily available for cars.

• Like 3

You can check your credit reports free 3 times a year, legit for free of charge. I use discover IT card which gives me my FICO score. Use AMEX cards.. soft queries and increase your credit limit higher ... and it keeps credit to debt ratio lower. :)

Smart way, I would say. I never ever give anywhere my debit card unless online utility bills where required. Credit card and if it's stolen, one call to AMEX, Discover or Chase and replace it and you loose nothing.

Imagine loosing 5K from debit card? Well no protection there. Once gone it's gone. Plus with credit cards I enjoy cash backs. Where ever loan is available at low rate take it, invest hard cash and from that pay of the loan. 1.5% loans are easily available for cars.

Yes, ask for a higher balance and keep low.... lol Thanks dare...