Helsen

Hello,

Since I have my Polish girlfriend, and now wife, I have been going to Poland. My fate-in-law took me to the speedway (zuzel) stadium some 10 years ago and since then I am hooked.

Speedway in Poland is on an ova ltrack with a kind of gravel. Two teams compete. They do that by riding a total of 15 heats. In 1 heat 2 riders of each team race. The winner takes 3 point, second 2 etc. In the end the results of the 15 heats will make clear who won or that it was a draw. Also you have a home and away match. The team taht did best in the sum of those matches gains 1 bonuspoint too.

It is a big sport in a lot of countries. But I am dutch and in Holland it is a marginal sport. Totally the opposite of Poland. There the stadions are filled (often 10/15 thousend people!!) with whole families and with a hardcore fanside which specializes in Smoke, big banners and songs. It is a party, but all are fanatic. There is no violence, which makes it a real cool sport to wacht. You can go there with your baby or your grandmother, it is all save (compared to football that is a totally different way of fanatism). Other countries that have a big speedway scene: Australia, Denmark, GB, Sweden. Also important are Russia, USA and Czech Republic.

In GB in Cardiff/ Wales there are 50.000 people watching in the SWC races there once a year.

My favorite team is Stal Gorzow. My wife is from their town: Gorzow Wielkopolski. They wear yellow and blue colours. This year was a great year, since we became champions for the first time in 31 years!! Our biggest rivals are from another town in the neighbourhood. That team is called Falubaz.

Just go to youtube and look up speedway. The ones in Europe: it is sometimes on Eurosport too. It really is a great sport and deserves a lot more attention. I hope some of you are getting interested or even hooked like I am haha.

Kind regards, Helsen

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yesss, only 3 more weeks and the speedway season will start again in Poland. Even better: I will be there and support my team in their first match :D. This world the grand prix already starts. I think the first is in Australia.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Stal Gorzów!! Yeah the best for me team on zuzel, i go to match Stal Gorzow vs Unia Leszno. + for you Helsen for good choose.

Edited by HZOP
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Only 1 month to go for the new season to start. Last year we missed the play-offs, but we have gotten stronger this year...So I think that we have a good chance to reach the play-offs this year. Speedwaayyyyyy :)

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...