Just installed ET, having problems

Jehovah<

Hey guys,

After quite a long break I'm eager to play some ET again. I had to install it again and am facing two problems:

1. The game is not full screen, see screenshot below. How do I fix this?
2ue5vy8.jpg

2. The game itself is incredibly slow. Just in the menu my cursor moves around really slow. This could be a problem with my laptop, but all my drivers are up to date. This problem occurred when I did a Windows 8 "refresh", I reinstalled windows 8 while keeping all my files. Since then ET no longer worked properly, at the time I wasn't really bothered with it and just decided not to play.

Anyone have an idea what the problem could be? I'm running Windows 8, 64bit, screen resolution is 1366x768.

Thanks.

Radeon HD Graphics.. So type in the console or add this in your config:\r_primitives 2

If you still get the same issue, try this:\r_texturebits 0 (or 32) and then \vid_restart

When this setting is on 16 it makes the game "slowmotion".

edit: little tip by the way.. When you want to quickly change your game into fullscreen or into windowed size, press Alt+Enter.

Edited by Ann!b@l
  • Like 1

Recently I'm messing around with some Radeons (HD 5000/R9) and AMDs opengl support for some older titles is a joke really. The easiest and most reliable workaround is to simply rename the "et.exe" to "quake3.exe". The AMD driver has compatibilitly profiles for specific games and the one for ET is broken. There are too many opengl extension strings loaded and the old Q3-Engine titles can't handle that correctly (basically).

You will most likely get a message like "^3WARNNING: GL extensions string too long (4276), truncated to 4096" or ET gets spammed with gl extensions till it just stops loading them. It will usually still run but with crippled opengl functions and slow performance. The quake3.exe profile workaround did the trick on every catalyst I tried and with some versions timedemos go from 240 to 350 fps.

This is what it looks here when ET.exe is started. No error message but still messed and and ET is slow and choppy.

post-11075-0-27971400-1419372290_thumb.jpg

Same driver version but ET.exe renamed to quake3.exe. Some important gl_extensions are loaded and that's it.

post-11075-0-01350200-1419372299_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

man,i have a radeon card as well,and this problem only appeared after i installed a windows update,i was playing for like half a year with primitives 0 then after i did a windows update like 3 or 4 months ago i got that problem and can only play with primitives 2... its just strange

I didnt know that this gl thing is a problem "3WARNNING: GL extensions string too long (4276), truncated to 4096 "

My gl strings are over "7000" . is that that issue that i have every map a differnt et for yeaaarrrrs??

i have a nvidia 750 gtx can someone help with an fix, google dont give me a answer .(the  answer was use an gl wrapper and thats nothing for me)

• Clan Friend

Recently I'm messing around with some Radeons (HD 5000/R9) and AMDs opengl support for some older titles is a joke really. The easiest and most reliable workaround is to simply rename the "et.exe" to "quake3.exe". The AMD driver has compatibilitly profiles for specific games and the one for ET is broken. There are too many opengl extension strings loaded and the old Q3-Engine titles can't handle that correctly (basically).

[cut]

has anyone tried this fix:

http://www.hirntot.org/distribution/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1981

or it doesn't work anymore?

On Linux I have no atiogl.xml... and I can't use catalyst ai because it lags my mouse :( maybe adding that '0x1000' thing works only with catalyst ai on

I still get the 'WARNNING: GL extensions string too long' message :s I guess that file is totally ignored in the recent versions

When I have some time I will try to see what kind of impact those extensions have on fps, I could compile a test version of et with a buffer for that string greater than 4000 and see what happens...

(or make a fake glGetString via LD_PRELOAD trick that returns only the extensions I need?)

Edited by SunLight

has anyone tried this fix:

http://www.hirntot.org/distribution/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1981

or it doesn't work anymore?

On Linux I have no atiogl.xml... and I can't use catalyst ai because it lags my mouse :( maybe adding that '<maxExtStrLen>0x1000</maxExtStrLen>' thing works only with catalyst ai on

I still get the 'WARNNING: GL extensions string too long' message :s I guess that file is totally ignored in the recent versions

When I have some time I will try to see what kind of impact those extensions have on fps, I could compile a test version of et with a buffer for that string greater than 4000 and see what happens...

(or make a fake glGetString via LD_PRELOAD trick that returns only the extensions I need?)

Ye same here, tried many drivers from 9.1 to 14.12. It was always the same result and I noticed that it doesn't even matter if the atiogl.xml/atioglxx.xml is present or not. Tbh I tried most of that stuff what can be googled and didn't look much further when I read about the quake3.exe trick, at least on Windows it works pretty reliable. I have no idea where that information is stored (obviously not in the atiogl*.xml files, they don't even exist in the newer driver packages). There is so many stuff installed by the Catalyst installer and AMD files spread everywhere, it gets pretty messy.

Some extensions make a huge impact. For the 2 screenshots I posted the fps increase from ~260 to ~350. If something goes wrong with gl_ext_compiled_vertex_array and/or gl_ext_texture_env_add there's a big performance drop. Not to forget the r_primitives detection bug, which also doesn't happen with the renamed ET.exe