FPS drop

Mr.Karizmatic

Hello everyone after shana and xernicus helped me on xfire i still cant get a solution for my fps problem. it is below 15 sometimes 8-9. Its usually near to 75 or between 60-80.. any help ....my ping is normal and lagometer too is ok not much difference...

Hey mate, could you post your system specs? A good freeware program to get all this info is Piriform Speccy. Also the temperatures of your CPU and GPU (if applicable, ie not integrated). You can use Coretemp to get these readings. Sorry I had to leave XFire, just got back home after 5 days of work and I'm still writing out checks to pay bills. -_-

Also here is the info I know so far to help others:

-Happens across all mods, therefore probably not config change(s)

-Not caused by in-game hooks, ie XFire.

-There is no excessive CPU usage, or any apparent memory leaks on his installation

to be honest with you i would save some money up and spend like lets say 100/200 and u can play ET fine i saw ur specs and i can understand why u have 15 fps

to be honest with you i would save some money up and spend like lets say 100/200 and u can play ET fine i saw ur specs and i can understand why u have 15 fps

C'mon.. ET's system requirements is 600MHz, 128mb RAM, DirectX 8, Windows 98... :huh:

What is your HunkMegs, ZoneMegs, etc? Also try /r_finish 1

Here's some tips I saw from another forum:

Options -> System -> Sync Every Frame: No

Options -> System -> GL Extensions: Enabled

That's probably already set however... have you checked for malware yet?

Before I post an obscene amount of information for you play around with... Did you update a driver or change any settings prior to these drops or did they seem to just happen?

Regards,

xenozbad

do u have everything on low? that will help and also sometime depends on the map also

Yes, he has lowest graphics avaliable cfg.

I'll post what we tried with Kari, so you could post what we didn't test.

-low graphics cfg.

-et reinstall/pb update

-bigger memory allocation(com_hunkmegs; com_zonemegs; com_soundmegs)

-threadded optimization off

-vsync on/off in nvidia panel + cvars for it(r_finish; r_swapinterval)

-using different settings for cpu affinity(running et on both cores, and core1 then core2)

-in nvidia panel multi-display/mixed-gpu acceleration (we tried single performance mode)

-nvidia drivers are up to date. 

And for more ideas:

Kari,

-did you defragment et folder?

-did you use pk3 cleaner?

-could you try installing et on different drive? ( It would be good if on high reading speed)

For understanding lagometer try this http://wolfwiki.anime.net/index.php/Lagometer . Imo those parts with no snaps(green part) are caused by sudden fps drops. 

-vsync on/off in nvidia panel + cvars for it(r_finish; r_swapinterval)

I just wanted to clarify that r_swapInterval is the only setting that enables or disables vsync. r_finish forces the game to wait for the OpenGL commands to finish before executing which can prevent extraneous mouse samples from rendering on the same frame. Otherwise you all have covered everything nicely. ^_^

1. In the Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options: Make certain that the Power saver mode is not selected (preferably set to High Performance while playing ET). 
  2. I agree with Xernicus. Check for Malware.
  3. I also agree with Kari that installing ET on a different hard drive could be beneficial for testing whether the current one is failing.
  4. You could also try reverting to a previous GPU driver, but unless you've enabled beta driver updates I see no reason that this would help.

Since you haven't changed anything it's quite probable that the issue is hardware related. However in severe cases network problems can cause FPS drops as well. So please post a 100 packet WinMTR report which can be downloaded here.

Regards,

xenozbad

• Leader

When did this start?  Patch Tuesday was Oct 14th.  

Check your Windows Update History to make sure that you have actually been receiving them, if you have it set for auto-update.  I recently discovered that my sister's Win8.1 laptop had no updates since April.  I repaired her WinUpdater with the 8.1UpdateFixer, but have not heard back if her auto-update is fixed or not.  I had to set the auto-check for 5 am, otherwise there were sooo many files to DL, too long to wait for. :)

I would never set auto-update to install hardware drivers, as I have not enjoyed their offerings at all!   :(

A good freeware program to get all this info is Piriform Speccy. Also the temperatures of your CPU and GPU (if applicable, ie not integrated).

Nice-looking output from that program!

@ Mr. Karizmatic, I would play ET and then run the program, to see what the temperatures are after an ET workout.