My thoughts on Angle Snapping/Drift Control

AcidParadox

Some days ago a friend told me to turn on a feature called angle snapping on my mouse (Logitech G502),  I heard of that term before but never bothered to investigate or even try it.

Basically what this thing does is "assist" your aiming whenever you draw straights lines.

I did a couple of tests and here are my results. The yellow lines represent the margin of my mouse movement and the red line is the pointer trajectory. 

px7ZIOi.png

As you can see I have a perfect precision while using angle snapping. In game, I could easily lock into an unaware player's head and follow him without any trouble at all.

gz6F9hd.png

Once again, there's a clear difference between on and off while making this particular movement, this could be applied in game while strafing left and right, it would make things easier to focus on your movement rather than your pointer's trajectory.

So yeah, I am going to be honest.This thing is cheap, I can't believe this is included on a piece of hardware focused on competitive gaming.I don't know how long has this been present on mice but i wouldn't be surprised if people would call this cheating.

Let me hear your opinions about it.

And all the times you'll need to go up or down just a little bit and it wont let you do it... so you'll get killed and mad and turn off that option :P

• Like 2

I don't know much about this subject of angle snapping, but I'm assuming that it basically eliminates your pitch on your mouse? If this assumption is correct, then you could easily write yourself a script that toggles your m_pitch up and down for almost the same effect. That's definitely not cheating, and you don't need any special hardware.

But you know what they say about assuming....

Edited by Ganja.

And all the times you'll need to go up or down just a little bit and it wont let you do it... so you'll get killed and mad and turn off that option :P

Interesting, i did a test with it and you are right. It's not impossible but it feels like a magnet  forcing you to stay in line.

054dd925a5674225965ea749e14b437e.png

• Like 2

Well as meow said it doesnt help when you are aiming long ranges and you have to adjust x hair just few pixels up down to score headshots.

Most aiming guides out there recommend to turn of angle snapping.

Its needed for software which need drawing (photoshop, CAd softwares) but most software come with their own version of snapping so its just a marketing gimmick now.

• Like 2

Except for what Antimony is saying about drawing software, it seems it would be a hindrance more the anything. But on the other hand it seems it could be useful in close quarters if anything?

• Clan Friend

So yeah, I am going to be honest.This thing is cheap, I can't believe this is included on a piece of hardware focused on competitive gaming.I don't know how long has this been present on mice but i wouldn't be surprised if people would call this cheating.

I don't know how noticeable this thing is while you play, given that you can alerady lower the m_pitch (I would suck with both options most probably) but for ages on websites like Crossfire they always said to disable it, or to get rid of mices where you can't disable it... I have seen a lot of threads with players asking if mouse '...' had this thing or not and if yes, if you could disable it.

I have never read about players who try to enable it. After all, your pointer is supposed to follow your hand movement. If your aim is already at head level (and the map is flat) then it's an advantage. Otherwise I see it more as a (minor) disadvantage.

• Like 1

I have little bit of it because its inbuilt on my mouse(Logitech MX518) and I hate it. Its so annoying when you cant move your mouse as you would like to, especially on pubservers where people are jumping all over places, imagine tracking doublejumping guy, its a nightmare(well not really but sometimes you clearly notice angle snapping when player has reached the top height and starts falling down and you try to follow it with your mouse).

Tl;dr: Angle snapping is bad, I dont like it at all.

I've developed the habit to jump and crouch when I'm in a firefight... it's pretty easy to tell who has this enabled, and those playing by hand... I don't think it gives an advantage just because this involves human reaction... it's great for like CAD though... (despite that not being it's purpose) :P

Regardless of anything, you can get the same effect, if not better(because if m_pitch is zero you will absolutely be stuck at head height no matter what you do, as long as you started it at head height), by making a m_pitch toggle script. Anytime you are on a flat "playing field" that the enemy is also on, and you are good at toggling on and off, and have efficient horizontal aim, its an advantage to your natural aim. But then again, if you are good enough to make it an advantage with a toggle, then you are good enough to not need it. Does that make sense?

Cheers mates.

(Server may not allow m_pitch 0, I've never tried it on ET)

Edited by Ganja.

(Server may not allow m_pitch 0, I've never tried it on ET)

Etpro servers will kick you if you have m_pitch of 0.0015 0.015 and lower.

Edited by AcidParadox
  • Like 1

Etpro servers will kick you if you have m_pitch of 0.0015 and lower.

.0015 or .015 because .0015 might as well be 0 as far as pitch goes. 008 becomes pretty hard to get vertical shots, so I'm sure .001 is pretty ridiculous, almost solely horizontal aim.