bf3 tips: C4

gibson66

So I've spent a considerable amount of time playing bf3 and I though it would be worth laying out some tips I've discovered.

DISCLAIMER: this isn't for pros. This is just some tips to keep newer players from getting their asses handed to them.

c4 is without doubt the most useful tool in the game. Need to blow up a building to get rid of snipers? C4. Need to destroy a t90 rolling in? C4. Need to blow up shit for no good reason? C4.

No other tool comes close in terms of value and diversity of situations in which it can be used. Having said that, using c4 is a skill, especially when it comes to fighting tanks.

First you'll need to understand the basics of c4.

1)C4 has a very limited effective range. Based on my experience, it needs to be at least 4-8 feet away from the target to work. Keep that in mind when you're laying it down.

2) always keep stocked on c4. The advantage of the support class is that they never need to retreat due to lack of ammo, and the last thing you want is to be stocking up on c4 when that MBT starts heading your way.

3) tanks have different armor on different sides, and your best bet is to head charge for the rear. Chances are the tank is staring straight ahead and the rear is the weakest point, meaning you can get in and out far faster than the front.

Now that we've got the basics out of the way, let's talk tactics.

never run at a tank when it's moving. You aren't rambo. You will die. You're best bet is to wait near where the tank is going to stop. For instance, on caspian borders near objective D, the buildings across from the gas station are excellent places to hide, and the smoke from the actual gas station can give you cover.

Another thing worth noting about places to wait is that tanks don't look up often. Even with a vigilant gunner, you can chill on top of a building with little fear that the tank crew will spot you.

You only need two c4 charges on a MBT's ass to take care of it. 3 is a waste and put's you at increased risk of taking a 120mm HE round to the face.

Once you've got charges down, run. Run for the f***ing hills. but only for about 10 feet. The great thing about c4 is that it's explosive range is really limited so you don't need to scramble across the map before clicking the detonator. A lot of new players don't realize this, but you can be really close to the tank when it blows up. I've seen a lot of new players try and get fifty feet away, at which point the tank has spotted, aimed, and fired.

Tanks have two ways of countering c4 when taking an objective: 3rd person view and infrared. I've had enough experience being on both sides of the c4 to know that these can make the best trap worthless. 3rd person allows the tank driver to have a far wider field of vision, and even to see a bit behind them. While most tankers don't use this (generally only colonels level (+)20), it's a very effective means of keeping their asses alive. In my own experience, it gives you enough time to spot the support class guy and jump ship before going out with a boom. NOTE: you are royally f***ed if you've spotted the support guy laying down c4. Any reaction is too late because let's face it, a 40-70 ton main battle tank isn't nimble enough to react.  All third person does is give you enough head's up to get out and start running.

The second countermeasure tanks have is the more conventional infrared sights. These can stop c4'ers in two ways: blast them while they're hiding or spot a trap on a road. There's not much else to say about what it does, so let's consider how to counteract it.

On most maps, there's crap in the ground and you can walk straight through the crap. Use that to your advantage. If you want to set a trap, use rocks or random jeep tires to cover the C4. That way, even a veteran tank driver with infrared can't see it coming.

Those are the basic tactics. Now let's look at ways to troll.

1) preemptive use of c4: especially in squad deathmatch, vehicle stealing is abundant. And if you're a poor sport like me, you can use this to your advantage. Lay down that c4 on a rear wheel  and once you're in a behind enemy lines, start shooting. Make some noise, get their attention. Then bolt from the vehicle, wait for the enemy to take it, and blow that sucker up. Easy kill, totally humiliating. The trick with this is to place the c4 on the bottom of the vehicle where the enemy can't see it or shoot it. That way, even if some poor fool uses an rpg on you, you won't die at your own hands. And on that note, don't forget that cars explode. Explosions set of c4. 

2) The next c4 trick is only feasible on maps where there are tight corners. You've all been there. Some nub has emptied 2 magazines into you and you're at 10 percent health. Your screen is grey, everything's blurry, and you need to GTFO like now. so what do you do? chances are you run and try and regain yourself and wait for the opponent to come around the corner.

WRONG. C4 that shit. set a brick up on a wall and get down. Unless you've got a shotgun, chances are he has the upper advantage. But you can't outgun c4.

These are my tips on how to use c4 effectively in bf3 (and I guess in bf4, but that's a different beast).

As with any skill, you can't just read something and automatically become good at it. Mastering C4 takes time.

So get out there, and good hunting.

Also, I don't proof read, so please excuse any egregious mistakes in grammar.

• Like 1