what is most important in a map?

Macchute

Hi :) , I'm a mapper and therefore do I use to make maps :P, however do I want to know what kind of stuff that is most important with the map, and how important is this special thing?

Do you want fancy graphics or good sniper places, what is most important for you and why do you think this is most important?

These are not an easy question to answer but it requires an answer in order to create better, more addictive and interesting maps in the future. ;)

Thanks for your answer. ^_^

• Clan Friend

imho important features:

1. Playability. Good balance of 1on1, 2vs1, long (but not too much - unless it's a sniper map) short and mid range fights, more than 1 route to the objective, but not too many.

It should be hard for one team to spam too much or totally block attackers, you shouldn't move around 1 hour to find an enemy, etc. etc.

2. Speed (high fps on most pcs)

for example a map like minas lacks both, oasis is bad because its slow and possibly not only that, goldrush is ok

• Like 1

Good question. Here are my two cents:

• I think maps should have good graphics and plenty of artifacts, but not at the sacrifice of FPS/speed (I turn off most of them for speed anyway)
  • Contours for character and hiding
  • Objects to capture and return - occasional dual object maps where both teams have to beat each other for their own obj
  • Geographic and era relevance to make so it feels more real
  • Spaces for close quarter fighting, but without choke points where one side has clear advantages

That's probably enough vagueness for now :)

I would suggest to edit a map already existed and make it even better :) If you could edit Supply Depot map and make some other paths to this map, like to make it bigger. For example, when map starts, sometimes allies can't reach the flag, it's tought to get to that flag...

I would love to see Railgun map in different version, everyone dislikes it maybe because of winter attitude map?

The size of a map in contrast with the speed of the players are very important factors on a map.  If your on a server where players can use adrenalin, objectives can be reached and completed much faster on smaller maps.    ^_^

Edited by Mad1
  • Like 1

There are a lot of good suggestions here. I would just like to add that the only thing that annoys me on a map is when there is absolutely one way out of a vulnerable spawn. And also some of my favorite additions to maps are the secret pathways you can use to flank. Just throwing that out there.

• Like 1

• Clan Friend

In case you need inspiration, you can always check which maps are most popular. If a map is popular both on etpro servers and fun servers then it must have the qualities you look for.

I remember many years ago I made 2 mods for Unreal Tournament 2004, one of them got very nice votes, while the other got only bad votes. And a player told me something like 'you modders don't know what players really like' it was true lol :)

• Like 1