Spanish Spanish - Post your questions here

• 4 months later...

hey guy's, could you help me out please ?

We currently have a spanish profesional MMA fighter over (our sensei knows him) and he's been with us for an entire week, helping us with some new techniques and such.
Downside is that he only speaks spanish, nothing else (i'm belgian so no clue what anything means :P)

Could you please translate this for me:

Thank you, it was fun and very learnfull (or how you say it best :P

Thx in advanced :D

• 10 months later...

My understanding is that "para" is "for" - tenedor para comer, pistola para matar

then "por" is more like "by" or "around" - por la puerta principal

Entro por la ventana para coger mi novia

• Like 3

What is the difference between para and por?? because in my lenguage they have the same meaning

Is a hard question to explain but i will try:

"para" is a preposition, it is use more likely as a goal. I would like to give a couple of examples:

- Tengo un regalo para ti / I have a gift for you

- Necesito dinero para comprar un videojuego / I need morey to buy a videogame.

In both sentences, the reason of use "para" is like reach an objective, a goal.

Now,  the word "por" is also a preposition and it has the meaning of "pass by" or a "place". 2 Examples:

- ¿No hay una gasolinera por aqui cerca? / Isnt there a gas station around here?

-  Ayer pase por tu casa / Yesterday i passed by your home

Is not quite easy to explain but i hope, at least, my explanation helped to understand the usage of both words.

• Like 3

What you mean with coger?

It can means different things depending the context and the country.

Use your context skills :P

Mi novia no es un autobus

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

what is the different among porquè,porque,por que and para que?? 

*Porqué(with tilde) :(in english is why)

It is a masculine noun that is equivalent to cause, reason, and is written with tilde for being acute word finished in vowel. Since it is a noun, it is usually preceded by an article or other determinant:
Samples:I do not understand your attitude (No comprendo el porqué de tu actitud)
Everything has its reason.(Todo tiene su porqué)cause,reason.

*Por qué: (why)
It is the sequence formed by the preposition "by" and the interrogative or exclamative "what" (tonic word that is written with diacritical tilde to distinguish it from the relative and the conjunction "what"). Introduce direct and indirect interrogative and exclamatory sentences:
Samples: Why did not you come to the party yesterday?(¿Por qué no viniste ayer a la fiesta?
I do not understand why you look like this.(No comprendo por qué te pones así.)

*Porque (Because)
It is an atonal conjunction, which is why it is written without tilde. It can be used with two values:
As a causal conjunction, to introduce subordinate clauses expressing cause:
Samples: I did not go to the party because I did not feel like [= since I did not feel like it].(No fui a la fiesta porque no tenía ganas [= ya que no tenía ganas].
-Also used as a heading of the answers to the questions introduced by the sequence why:
Sample:Why you did not come? "Because I did not feel like it. (¿Por qué no viniste? —Porque no tenía ganas.)

PARA QUÉ? (FOR WHAT?) It is used as a means of knowing the consequence (s) or reason (s) for which something happens, occurs or is done.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hola guys :D

One girl yesterday night sent me a photo with personal inscription, but i'm so ignorant and need your help :P

The sentence says ''Te echo de menos tontoo''