English English - Post your questions here.

They are often interchangeable but "how" is being used more for suggestions about which you doubt ("open possibilities"). "What about" is used when you are more certain about a suggestion or when you want to object to a suggestion with a counter-suggestion.

Example: 

-Where will we organize gamedays?

*How about nq3? It needs more population and we can use many wars there.

-Yeah, but it doesn't have many slots.

*Ok, how about jay2 then? It has more slots and jaymod people will like to see it being held there.

-Hmm... But what about the wars? It has only panzerwar and sniperwar, isn't that a bit thin? And as we're at it, what about DJ? If we don't kidnap him he'll ask us to go in pink again...

The example of course has no real basis whatsoever, is a pure Plat-fantasy creation.

• Like 3

• Leader

Shoot myself to love you If I loved myself I’d be shooting you  :mellow: 

Songwriters take liberties with the English words that they use, for reasons of rhythm, rhyme, shock value, etc.   :)

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/marilynmanson/fundamentallyloathsome.html

ADDED:  I have to admin that I felt "WTF" when I read Pronoob's words and wondered if he was seriously depressed or something! :)  Google was my friend again and I feel better now.

Edited by RedBaird
add WTF line
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I'd have a question about vocabulary, but it's a bit complicated, so let's use an example to make it understandable.

When you say that something is empty it means that you talk about the vacuity of this thing. "Vacuity" here is the name associated to the adjective "empty"

I'd like to know the name associated the the adjective "vague" if it exists (if I say that something is vague it means that I talk about the ??? of this thing?")

Thanks in advance :)

I'd have a question about vocabulary, but it's a bit complicated, so let's use an example to make it understandable.

When you say that something is empty it means that you talk about the vacuity of this thing. "Vacuity" here is the name associated to the adjective "empty"

I'd like to know the name associated the the adjective "vague" if it exists (if I say that something is vague it means that I talk about the ??? of this thing?")

Thanks in advance :)

Not really sure but i think its vagueness. 

• Like 2

If I want to say that I think (you) give a certain impression [ex. you give the impression that you haven't slept enough], I use the term "(you) come over as if [you haven't slept enough]". I was wondering if it was a valid way of speaking, since it's literally translated from Dutch. Is there another, more elegant way to say this?

In proper English it would probably be:

You come off (not over) as if [you haven't slept enough]. That would probably be a more proper way to say it.

However, most people in a general setting don't speak so eloquently. Most English is generally slang, and most modern day English is pretty damn lazy. In a general public encounter most people would say:

You don't look like you've slept enough.

You don't look like you're sleeping well.

You look tired. Have you been sleeping well?

Look being the substitute for 'you give the impression'.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I have a request, here seems the only section that applies... I want to apply for a job. It is a remote position for a company located in USA. Since I have never done any business with anyone in the States, would be of to much trouble to look over my application letter if it fits into American business culture, and eventually, are there any grammar/style mistakes in it? If anyone is willing to do it, plz send me your e-mail address per PM.

EDIT: I got help on this, thank you.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

I'm writing an article about 21st century learning in Spanish, and I'm already preparing the English abstract. As you might have noticed, my English grammar is far to be perfect... so I'll appreciate every possible help and suggestion. Thanks in advance for your attention.

Abstract

We present a synthesis of frameworks that defines essential skills, competencies and knowledges to thrive in the first part of the 21st century, answering the label «21st century learning». Additionally, to this multiplicity of frameworks, we propose that it’s vital to understand them in the light of the techno-economic paradigm of the technological revolution in progress.

In the first part of the article, we offer a discussion of the foundations and forecasts of the future of work that inspire these frameworks. Later on, we analyze all this frameworks offering a synthesis.

In the second and final part of this article, we reflect about the challenges to adapt the Chilean educational system and their teaching education and training programs, to the achievement of 21st century learning.

Key words: competencies, skills, teaching and learning practices, 21st century

• Like 1

Hi everyone.

I'm writing an article about 21st century learning in Spanish, and I'm already preparing the English abstract. As you might have noticed, my English grammar is far to be perfect... so I'll appreciate every possible help and suggestion. Thanks in advance for your attention.

Abstract

We present a synthesis of frameworks that defines essential skills, competencies and knowledges to thrive in the first part of the 21st century, answering the label «21st century learning». Additionally, to this multiplicity of frameworks, we propose that it’s vital to understand them in the light of the techno-economic paradigm of the technological revolution in progress.

In the first part of the article, we offer a discussion of the foundations and forecasts of the future of work that inspire these frameworks. Later on, we analyze all this frameworks offering a synthesis.

In the second and final part of this article, we reflect about the challenges to adapt the Chilean educational system and their teaching education and training programs, to the achievement of 21st century learning.

Key words: competencies, skills, teaching and learning practices, 21st century

I like your use of the scientific language. I am not a native speaker (and quite frankly neglected my english after secondary school), but since this thread has shown little activity as of late I'd like to try to help!

In traditional english, there is no plural form of "knowledge". Currently, I believe that it is widely accepted. I would personally choose to avoid the plural form in scientific articles.

I notice your use of "it's". Contractions are generally informal. It may be better to change this with "it is" or rephrase the line.

Your line "We offer a discussion of the foundations and forecasts of the future of work that inspire..." can be read in several ways. Since forecasts are per definition of the future, "of the future" can be left out. This will also make the line more readable.

You spell "analyze" with a z. This is incorrect in British English, but correct in American English. Either is fine, as long as you show consistency throughout the article (or abstract, if you don't translate the main article).

"All this frameworks" The noun (frameworks) is plural; "this" becomes "these".

"We reflect about ..." The verb is "to reflect on". You can "reflect on A and B" or "reflect on the subject of A and B". The latter may be more suitable to paraphrase your sentence with.

Lastly, "21st century". There are dozens of sources on whether or not you should fully type out the word instead of just the number. In APA (American Psychology Association) citation manual, I believe it is stated that any number below or equal to 20 should be described as a word and not a number; But whether this is the case for you, I do not know :)

I hope it is of at least some use to you.

Regards

Flible

• Like 1

I hope it is of at least some use to you.

Thank you very much for your help Flible :) I'm very happy with your feedback comments. 

I need to start studying proper English grammar, because almost all of my errors are related to using Spanish grammar in English sentences... like a broken English translation.

Have a nice day :]