English English - Post your questions here.

Other than that, is there a difference between 'I aint going nowhere' and 'I aint going anywhere'

Hey! I'm allowed to make typos xD

I'm pretty sure they'd be considered the same, except in very specific circumstances. Like if someone had given you a specific location to go, you're more likely to say "I aint going nowhere." but I guess it's more to do with the person what feels natural to say.

To summarise; you can use either as they're both general words.

Ain't is not proper English and found its rise in the Southern states. In the first sentence you would use primarily if someone wanted you to leave where you were and you didn't want to go. Usually this is seen as defying the authority. As for the second it would be if someone asked you whee you were going. 

It's proper English if you're from the south :P......

American English is actually more "English" than British English, British English has evolved and dropped things that we have not. Our dialect is closer to that spoken in Britain during the 1700's, commonly known as "the Kings English", especially if you're a native of the east coast states that were British Crown Colonies..

Ain't is not proper English and found its rise in the Southern states. 

Ain't going to happen.

when you say that with a southern draw, sounds like an American.

Translator on the internet is proper english and f***s people up.

If you want to here a true traditional Tidewater Virginia accent, jump on Teamspeak sometime, that's the accent I have, it's the same one George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Patrick Henry, Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson would have had....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I know that just native speakers are following this thread, but someone knows something about Academic IELTS?

I need to get 7.5  :wacko:  :P

Ps= is actually great that the most consulted grammar book in English (MURPHY), encourages self-study  :D . A cool thing about English learning...

• Like 2

Just dropping this pic in here. It appears to be a nonsense sentence at first.   :)

attachicon.gifJessicaFB=HadHadHadHad-10406582.jpg

Just a question coming from my dutch language feel: would you use no comma's at all? I would have put a comma between had had and had had, because that's how you would say it.

Probably has to do with dutch language rules. We have to put comma's between every double word. (Dat hij ziek is, is een probleem, for example)

The thing is that the example above is trying to be complicated, so they removed the commas. You would normally separate them using commas, or avoid putting yourself that position in the first place :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Is it ok to say "Which film did you see yesterday" or is it "What film did you see yesterday"

The first one sounds better to me but I often see the second one.