English English - Post your questions here.

Lastly, "21st century". There are dozens of sources on whether or not you should fully type out the word instead of just the number. In APA (American Psychology Association) citation manual, I believe it is stated that any number below or equal to 20 should be described as a word and not a number; But whether this is the case for you, I do not know :)

I check all the papers I have about the topic, and they all show the number, not the word.

Thanks to Flible :D , I have now this:

Abstract

We present a synthesis of frameworks that defines essential skills, competencies and knowledge to thrive in the first part of the 21st century, answering the label «21st century learning». Additionally, to this multiplicity of frameworks, we propose that it is vital to understand them in the light of the techno-economic paradigm of the technological revolution in progress.

In the first part of the article, we offer a discussion of the foundations and forecasts of work that inspire these frameworks. Later on, we analyze all these frameworks offering a synthesis.

In the second and final part of this article, we reflect on the challenges to adapt the Chilean educational system and their teaching education and training programs, to the achievement of 21st century learning.

Key words: competencies, skills, teaching and learning practices, 21st century learning

As a fellow - learning - researcher, I'd like to suggest some things that I find a little odd in your abstract. 

Thanks to Flible :D , I have now this:

Abstract

We present a synthesis of frameworks that defines essential skills, competencies and knowledge to thrive in the first part of the 21st century, answering the label «21st century learning». Additionally, to this multiplicity of frameworks, we propose that it is vital to understand them in the light of the techno-economic paradigm of the technological revolution in progress.

In the first part of the article, we offer a discussion of the foundations and forecasts of work that inspire these frameworks. Later on, we analyze all these frameworks offering a synthesis.

In the second and final part of this article, we reflect on the challenges to adapt the Chilean educational system and their teaching education and training programs, to the achievement of 21st century learning.

Key words: competencies, skills, teaching and learning practices, 21st century learning

What is meant with "answering the label <<21st century learning>>"?
In the previous sentence of your abstract, I can't find a question or hypothesis to answer related to <<21st century learning>>. I feel that "21st century learing" does not imply a question, too.

If I interpret "Additionally, to this multiplicity of frameworks, we propose...." correctly, I understand that you mean that, next to your synthesis of frameworks, you want to propose that it is vital to understand these frameworks. If this is correct i'd suggest to rephrase this to something like: 
"In addition to this multiplicity of frameworks, we propose that it is vital to understand these frameworks in light etc. etc."

Maybe a little more information about the relevance of why we need to understand these frameworks, or why these frameworks are even there to begin with, would be nice for the reader. 

I guess "foundations" is an oddly used plural form of the noun "foundation". I'd suggest using "founding factors" here. 

Hope you can do something with this feedback. 

• Like 1

So thanks to Flible and IceDragon :P, I have now this:

Abstract

We present a synthesis of frameworks that defines essential skills, competencies and knowledge to thrive in the first part of the 21st century, answering the label «21st century learning». In addition to this multiplicity of frameworks, we propose that it is vital to understand them in the light of the techno-economic paradigm of the technological revolution in progress. We argue that 21st century learning suppose a radical transformation of teaching profession and schools.

• Like 1

So thanks to Flible and IceDragon :P, I have now this:

Abstract

We present a synthesis of frameworks that defines essential skills, competencies and knowledge to thrive in the first part of the 21st century, answering the label «21st century learning». In addition to this multiplicity of frameworks, we propose that it is vital to understand them in the light of the techno-economic paradigm of the technological revolution in progress. We argue that 21st century learning suppose a radical transformation of teaching profession and schools.

I guess the word "suppose" causes a little confusion here. The verb suppose indicates that you make an assumption. However, you are going to discuss why it is necessary to have a radical transformation to achieve 21st century learning. Seen from the light of your first 2 sentences, I reckon you mean "propose" here. This word was however used in your previous sentence. Therefore, I'd say use "suggest" or "imply" here.

• Like 1

I guess the word "suppose" causes a little confusion here. The verb suppose indicates that you make an assumption. However, you are going to discuss why it is necessary to have a radical transformation to achieve 21st century learning. Seen from the light of your first 2 sentences, I reckon you mean "propose" here. This word was however used in your previous sentence. Therefore, I'd say use "suggest" or "imply" here.

Yes, you're very right. I used *suppose* with the Spanish connotation...! Thanks my fellow --learning-- research :D

Abstract

We present a synthesis of frameworks that defines essential skills, competencies and knowledge to thrive in the first part of the 21st century, answering the label «21st century learning». In addition to this multiplicity of frameworks, we propose that it is vital to understand them in the light of the techno-economic paradigm of the technological revolution in progress. We argue that 21st century learning imply a radical transformation of teaching profession and schools.

Key words: competencies, skills, teaching and learning practices, 21st century learning 

• Like 1

Yes, you're very right. I used *suppose* with the Spanish connotation...! Thanks my fellow --learning-- research :D

Abstract

We present a synthesis of frameworks that defines essential skills, competencies and knowledge to thrive in the first part of the 21st century, answering the label «21st century learning». In addition to this multiplicity of frameworks, we propose that it is vital to understand them in the light of the techno-economic paradigm of the technological revolution in progress. We argue that 21st century learning imply a radical transformation of teaching profession and schools.

Key words: competencies, skills, teaching and learning practices, 21st century learning 

I see that you are troubled with the use of 21st century, you know that I am not good in English (you know where I come from.. heheheh) so don't be too keen to take it but what about if you just say: XXI century just like a sage. those are my 2 cents.

PS: could you send me your article in spanish? I would love to read it. I won't publish it under my name, I promise. If you agree, I'll send you my email through PM. I wish you the best [thumbs up]

I see that you are troubled with the use of 21st century

I'm not troubled at all... just type 21st century learning in sciencedirect.com or other journal search engine, and you will have the most used *referent* of the topic.

• 1 month later...

I have a question, what is the difference between however and anyway, because in my lenguage we have just a word to say it

To the best of my knowledge and without googling, however points towards a contradiction or a nuance:

"She said it's a given fact, however, I know this to be untrue."

"Anyway" isn't an english word commonly found in literature as it's a very informal way to lower importance of a subject or a given. There are cases where they can be used interchangeably, but I would personally recommend against the use of "anyway" unless you aim to achieve the image of a careless sloth.

Now here's what google tells me:

"However and Nevertheless are used mainly to express contrast or conflict. You use them to contrast an idea that has been proposed in the previous sentence(s). Most of the times they appear at the beginning of a sentence, but can be used in the middle of a sentence too. The difference is that the usage of nevertheless is considered more formal, whereas however is used in informal situations.

Furthermore, the use of nevertheless denotes a negative to positive contrast and "however" is used to move from a positive idea to a negative one

Anyway is a word used to ignore the previous ideas and to divert back to an original topic, in contrast to "by the way" that introduces a new topic to the conversation".

To help you interpret:

• Nevertheless is formal, and -ve to +ve contrast.
  • However is informal,     and +ve to -ve contrast.
  • Anyway is used to bring back the original topic and to ignore the previous ideas.
  • By the way, is used to introduce a new topic.
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

I am working on a EN->HR translation of a Project Management software. The translation project is nearly complete, but I find it difficult to translate a few sentences, maybe more because they are in poor English, than of my pretty good English language skills.

The sentences in English are:

Manage notification subscriptions for other user discusssion for himself
Manage notification subscriptions for other user issue for himself
Manage notification subscriptions for other user issue for other users
Manage notification subscriptions for other user item for himself
Manage notification subscriptions for other user item for other users
Manage notification subscriptions for other user task for himself
Manage notification subscriptions for other user task for other users
Manage notification subscriptions for other user wiki for himself
Manage notification subscriptions for other user wiki for other users
Assign issue to himself

As you can see, they are pretty similar in wording and construction, but IMHO in very poor English. The intention of "other user" is to indicate all users but one self, while himself is obvious (I hope, lol). Now, since this is a disaster, I want to find better wording for this cases. Only thing occurred to my mind was:

Manage notification subscriptions of other user issue for himself

Manage notification subscriptions of other user issue for other users

Assign issue to your self

Do you think this will be possible? Any better idea(s)?

• 3 months later...

I am working on a EN->HR translation of a Project Management software. The translation project is nearly complete, but I find it difficult to translate a few sentences, maybe more because they are in poor English, than of my pretty good English language skills.

The sentences in English are:

Manage notification subscriptions for other user discusssion for himself

Manage notification subscriptions for other user issue for himself

Manage notification subscriptions for other user issue for other users

Manage notification subscriptions for other user item for himself

Manage notification subscriptions for other user item for other users

Manage notification subscriptions for other user task for himself

Manage notification subscriptions for other user task for other users

Manage notification subscriptions for other user wiki for himself

Manage notification subscriptions for other user wiki for other users

Assign issue to himself

As you can see, they are pretty similar in wording and construction, but IMHO in very poor English. The intention of "other user" is to indicate all users but one self, while himself is obvious (I hope, lol). Now, since this is a disaster, I want to find better wording for this cases. Only thing occurred to my mind was:

Manage notification subscriptions of other user issue for himself

Manage notification subscriptions of other user issue for other users

Assign issue to your self

Do you think this will be possible? Any better idea(s)?

I'm not a hundred percent on what you're trying to achieve. One could cut the sentences into pieces as "Manage notification subscriptons ... for other user" on one end and "wiki for self", same for every other sentence. I'm not sure it's supposed to be one line?

If you're trying to exclude the one individual that reads the line, it should in any case end with "save for himself" (though this is sexist)

If that is the situation, it would read: "Manage notification subscriptions of users save for himself" or, and this looks a little better: "Manage notification subscriptions of users other than himself"

• Like 1

....."save for himself" (though this is sexist)

It isn't sexist at all. You are using masculine terms of language in this case which includes both sexes. 'Himself' in this case means everyone, similar to 'mankind'.

The French language also uses feminine and masculine terms.

• Like 1

It isn't sexist at all. You are using masculine terms of language in this case which includes both sexes. 'Himself' in this case means everyone, similar to 'mankind'.

The French language also uses feminine and masculine terms.

Ah? Well, I'm not a 100% certain. I would think that in English one would want to use general terms such as "oneself" rather than "himself". Himself could be used when it is described earlier in a text that there is no discrimination between the two (for political correctness). After all, it's a hassle to having to say "himself or herself" and "him or her" all the time :P

Nobody cares about political correctness anyway. I just mentioned it for completeness.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, i have a doubt about english language, Like when you put ''out'' after the verb, like ''strong out, stay out, check out(many time on FA chat :)), i really don't understand the mean and the pourpose that the word takes.

Hope to been clear

Greet.