English English - Post your questions here.

• Platinum VIP

Hi, i have a doubt about english language, Like when you put ''out'' after the verb, like ''strong out, stay out, check out(many time on FA chat :)), i really don't understand the mean and the pourpose that the word takes.

Hope to been clear

Greet.

Because, like many English words it has different meanings, depending on how it's used. First, I never heard of "Strong" out. But Check out; means leave. I'm checking out of here. Or look at - Check out these cool earrings. Same with stay out. I'm staying out all night, or i knocked you out, so stay (knocked) out.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i have a doubt about english language, Like when you put ''out'' after the verb, like ''strong out, stay out, check out(many time on FA chat :)), i really don't understand the mean and the pourpose that the word takes.

Hope to been clear

Greet.

Hello,

There is no specific pattern in adding "out" to a verb. Let us discuss, in order, the examples you have provided.

"Strong out" doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard of. It may be a slang, but it could be that the two words were part of a sentence (i.e. "He became strong out of the blue", meaning he became strong without any apparent cause for his becoming strong). It is possible that misreading the sentence can appear as having "out" belong to the verb.

"Stay out" is to stay out of a space; to be elsewhere, to not be present. One can use this in different manners, for example in a commanding sense, "Stay out! We're busy!" something you would shout when your sister came in unannounced when your girlfriend was in  :ph34r:

"Check out", or as this is one verb let's use the infinitive, "To check out". One can check out an object or process, as in watch it, observe it. You'll take note of a process. In a less formal way, "to check out" may also be used to leave a place; "I'm checking out, good night." would be equal to as much as "I'm leaving, good night".

I hope this has helped!

Rik

• Like 3

• Leader

"Strung out" may be what you are thinking of.  You can be "strung out on drugs", meaning to be very "messed up" physically or emotionally. There is "I feel strung out", meaning feeling tired or upset.

A lot of the "out phrases" seem to be from slang.  

"Stay out" and "get out" sound like proper English, but "check out" probably started as slang, perhaps from the "check out books" at the library or the "checkout line" at the store.  Those two examples imply a kind of leaving, which I guess is where "I'm checking out of here" comes from, including "check out of life".  The last does not necessarily imply suicide.  

If you have been drinking at a bar and say "I'm checking out of here", you may not want a police officer to "check you out for a DUI" if you drive home drunk.

Another form of the slang is "check out that girl" or "check out that car", which just means look at and/or appreciate.  :)  "Check out my new $10,000 computer, dude!"  :D

There are also "gross out" (to see gross objects or actions), "make out" (kissing-session), "sing out" (joyous singing), "give a shout out to" (hello to someone not present, usually said on to an audience, on TV or in public), "fake out" (trick an opposing player with a feint), "bum out" (make someone feel bad), "roust out" (eject someone from some place), "spaz out" (confused), "move out" (move away from a location), "dope out" (examine something or a situation), "eat out" (eat away from home or a sex-slang term), "take out" (dating a person or carrying food out of a fast-food joint or a restaurant), "veg out" (be confused or only eat vegetables), "wash out" (clean an object or fail at something, often a special school for from a team or a type of flood or terrain that floods often),"zone out" (confused, inattentive)...sheesh, I did not expect to think to many "out phrases".  Most of the preceding are slang but not all.

The spoiler has an alphabetized list of the above phrases...I forgot "burn out", (emotionally drained, or set fire to something to force the inhabitants out, or spin your tires until they smoke)...

"bum out" (make someone feel bad),
"dope out" (examine something or a situation),
"eat out" (eat away from home or a sex-slang term),
"fake out" (trick an opposing player with a feint),
"gross out" (to see gross objects or actions),
"make out" (kissing-session),
"move out" (move away from a location),
"roust out" (eject someone from some place),
"give a shout out to" (hello to someone not present, usually said on to an audience, on TV or in public),
"sing out" (joyous singing), 
"spaz out" (confused),
"take out" (dating a person or destroying something or carrying food away from the seller),
"veg out" (be confused or only eat vegetables),
"wash out" (clean an object or fail at something, often a special school for from a team or a type of flood or terrain that floods often),
"zone out" (confused, inattentive)

I missed a lot of Smul's posts here. :(

• Like 3

• Leader

I woke up today and immediately thought of other out-phrases used in the USA.

rub out, chuck out, snake out, shake out, snub out, +++

I wonder if this "love of out" is unique to Norte Americanos or do all the English-speaking cultures use it so profusely?  Peace out!

• Like 1

• Leader

"Check out" also used when leaving accommodation such as an hotel. Check-in and check-out.

I will have to check in here more often.  That one post made me think about my native language!  I was amused at my own WTF-reaction.  :D

ADDED:  Good Gawd!  I am now thinking of "out phrases" every day now! :(

1 Nov 2017: found out, crapped out, thought out, want out, wear out, smudge out, sneak out, squeak out, strike out, pull out, flame out, punch out, thought out, hold out, hang out, speak out, roll out, figure out, bust out, break out, eke out, plan out, punch out, far out, speak out, hold out, hide out, camp out, munch out, peer out, talk out, tear out, ...

Stop thinking about it, RedBaird!  Remember the immortal words of :

There is no specific pattern in adding "out" to a verb.

Edited by RedBaird
out of my mind
  • Like 2

I will have to check in here more often.  That one post made me think about my native language!  I was amused at my own WTF-reaction.  :D

ADDED:  Good Gawd!  I am now thinking of "out phrases" every day now! :(

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Leader

@jack because the ocean slowed the flow of languages changes back and forth.  The Canadians and Americans were much closer together and influenced each other's forms of English.  That was before Radio, TV and the Internet, which can spread usages around faster.  

Here is an interesting video about some features that English lacks.

Features English is missing - but most other languages have  :

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Leader

I had been aware of mixture of languages that has produced Modern English, but not to this amount of detail.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am good in engluish so if u want an advice just ask and me will help you.

past tenser is my best matter on that matter

if you dont know verbals i can show you ;)

Edit: JK. Was a short break joke to laugh a little bit. Anyway I dont need to simulate a bad syntax. My English is not so good, so  I will ask here in case I need advices. Thanx!

Edited by Old Owl
  • Confused 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Old Owl said:

I am good in engluish so if u want an advice just ask and me will help you.

past tenser is my best matter on that matter

if you dont know verbals i can show you ;)

Is this a joke? *I am confused*

• Haha 3

• 2 years later...
  • Leader
11 hours ago, rtcwtzs said:

RedBairdWhat does strung out mean? Besides being the name of a punk band :)

It can have several meanings:  you 'string out a line' by throwing it or walking it a distance.

The most common meaning these days is weakness or deterioration caused by the use of illegal drugs.  If you are exhausted for other reasons, you can say that you are 'strung out'.   What a fish feels like when you fillet them, etc.

You can 'string out' a conversation, making it too long and boring your audience.

ADDED:  "Strung out on Heroin" is a common phrase.

Edited by RedBaird
ADDED
  • Thanks 1