English English - Post your questions here.

Is it ok to say "Which film did you see yesterday" or is it "What film did you see yesterday"

The first one sounds better to me but I often see the second one.

What is correct. The first one sounds better for you because of your mother tounge as you use the equivalent of 'which' when you speak it, am I right? :P

• Like 1

What is a way of asking a question with an infinite amount of answers possible. Use which when you need to choose between a limited number of options.

So you say "Which movie do you like most, Gladiator or Troy?", but you say "What film have you enjoyed most in your life?"Native speakers correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 3

I think in verbal conversation you could really use either.  I doubt anyone would correct you one way or the other.  There is always the possibility that some pretentious a-hole might correct you - in which case you would simply laugh at them and walk off.   

• Like 3

I do wonder, out of curiosity, why do so many Brits confuse the words "there" and "their", i have seen it so many times from native speaking ppl that they don't even see the difference between it.

• Like 1

I do wonder, out of curiosity, why do so many Brits confuse the words "there" and "their", i have seen it so many times from native speaking ppl that they don't even see the difference between it.

Unfortunately, it's not just Brits that make that common mistake so often. There's a large portion of native English speakers that struggle, and it's normally down to not giving a shit. They don't want to learn how to use the language properly because they can make themselves understood anyway. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately, it's not just Brits that make that common mistake so often. There's a large portion of native English speakers that struggle, and it's normally down to not giving a shit. They don't want to learn how to use the language properly because they can make themselves understood anyway. 

Yeh normally considering that and gives me good way of teasing them  :D

I use to be fine, then once I read about different words ppl mix up with  , so after reading others wrong I confused myself and now I do mistake of "then -  than"

• Like 1

I use to be fine, then once I read about different words ppl mix up with  , so after reading others wrong I confused myself and now I do mistake of "then -  than"

That's why I like to read some books in the language they were originally written in. They don't make many spelling or grammar mistakes, so they teach you a lot about good language. Time is another matter of course :)

I am better than yoyo, but then yoyo bans me :D

Read this for a bit of understanding if my case wasn't clear enough.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Than_vs_Then

• Like 2

happens..

ps send u this last night 2 maps connecting

2015-05-09-015407-sp_delivery_te.jpg

• Clan Friend

This reminds me, I once 'googled' something with the word threw (past of to throw) and google assumed I actually meant 'through' :D

I think (some!) natives misspell words because they learned the language by listening. I learned it by reading, so chances are I will mispronounce words (or make grammar mistakes) rather than misspelling them. (or both :P)

Edited by SunLight
  • Like 3

This reminds me, I once 'googled' something with the word threw (past of to throw) and google assumed I actually meant 'through' :D

I think (some!) natives misspell words because they learned the language by listening. I learned it by reading, so chances are I will mispronounce words (or make grammar mistakes) rather than misspelling them. (or both :P)

I would normally just miss type some words that are not used commonly by me, but that's easy to fix by a simple google check, tho i do understand the meaning and usage of most words and similiar stuffs such as "there-their" and "than-then".

Yeh google does throw out once in a while some funny stuffs, which are completely missed from the words u were actually looking for ha.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the phrase: "He dropped his fag" means his cigar felt down. Or a a penis?

Fag, in that context, is British slang for cigarette :)

• Like 2