Polish Polish - Post your questions here

Easy: Gregor Gdzen-kich-kichevich from kshton-shtile-wolshtice povyatoven ko-vode :))))

SLAV POWER!

wrong section ;)

Polish   English

If you have any questions, or don't understand something feel free to post it here ;)

I'll try to answer as soon as I can. (I'm several times a day on forum so It shouldn't take long ;) )

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

guys I've decided to learn Polish, I am already speak Croatian and  Russian languages, so I hope it wont be so hard after all..

Wwhat tv serial you reccomended for my purpose?

Edited by Patrick

11 minutes ago, Patrick said:

guys I've decided to learn Polish, I am already speak Croatian and  Russian languages, what tv serial you reccomended for my purpose?

Well duolingo would be a good start for you.

It's tough overall but once you get into it you can really go with the flow.

Some basics

Nouns can have three genders (some linguists count five)

Each noun and adjective can appear in one of seven cases

Verbs conjugate for gender, person, mood and time (depending on how you count, this makes over 25 forms of every verb)

Verbs come in two aspects (English doesn't have grammatical aspect)

No articles "the", "a", "an".
Due to so many different forms you can construct sentences in order that would totally sound gibberish in English.

If you get the grasp of it I'd recommend listening to some Polish podcasts.

As for tv series you can watch anything actually - Polish lector with english or whichever subtitles you want.

As in every language vocabulary is essential ^^

If you're not scared yet then good luck!

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

I am not afraid Shana, I work in hotels, and a lot of Polish guests are comming to spend Xmass or New Year in Croatia.  Last year it was group of guests, they was 4 days (all New Year), and after second day with them I started to understand them perfectally :)) all old protoslavic words are the same with Croatian/Russian. So the basics are there.. But I bearly can say some of shh sounds like: pshe, tzshe, vshe, and ect. It is very hard :( we dont have that sounds (or very little).

Maybe I should start to watch news from Poland, I hope it is not so hard and complicated for begginers like me....

Also playing witcher 3 on Polish is a good idea!

Edited by Patrick

13 minutes ago, Patrick said:

I am not afraid Shana, I work in hotels, and a lot of Polish guests are comming to spend Xmass or New Year in Croatia.  Last year it was group of guests, they was 4 days (all New Year), and after second day with them I started to understand them perfectally :)) all old protoslavic words are the same with Croatian/Russian. So the basics are there.. But I bearly can say some of shh sounds like: pshe, tzshe, vshe, and ect. It is very hard :( we dont have that sounds (or very little).

Maybe I should start to watch news from Poland, I hope it is not so hard and complicated for begginers like me....

Also playing witcher 3 on Polish is a good idea!

Witcher series for sure :D
It's casual language so you should be fine with news :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Patrick said:

guys I've decided to learn Polish, I am already speak Croatian and  Russian languages, so I hope it wont be so hard after all..

Wwhat tv serial you reccomended for my purpose?

It will be hard, I'm sorry... As you should know, polish is completely different and very original language. There is no other slavic language like this. It has taken so much from all other languages from around the country. As always, knowing 2 or more slavic languages will help you a lot (a shame you don't know czech/slovak, as they are most similar to polish imo, at least according to grammar). In the end, you'll notice those hard sounds are actually easy part as opposed to grammar. Learning essential words, specific for polish language should be a good start. You can also start from homonyms aka false friends (words that sound the same in 2 languages but have different meanings). It's funny way to learn some vocabulary and it will save you from embarassing situations in future. Good luck!

For the tv series, those are some of my favorites and I always thought they would be perfect for someone who wants to learn about polish realities and spoken language. It might be too hard for a start though, so perhaps you should stick to news for now. If you like music, there's also lot's of to choose from.

- 13 posterunek

- miodowe lata

- ranczo

• Love 1

Kaj thank you, I forget to add: my gf have Slovak heritage : I speak Croatian - she answer in Slovak and we understand eachover! 

False friends is funny: my favorite so far is 

Sklep - lol we put dead people there - and you puts food! :)))) rolf 

13 posterunek means 13 "washing mashines"?? I mean: to wash clothes... :)))) :? 

miodowa lata  ofc honey something (plate?)

ranczo - a ranch?

Polish are awesome!! 

Ps I already started to watched news: and discover Poland produce and import a lot of apples(!) and about EU migrant crysis... 

Edited by Patrick

9 hours ago, Patrick said:

13 posterunek means 13 "washing mashines"?? I mean: to wash clothes... :)))) :? 

miodowa lata  ofc honey something (plate?)

ranczo - a ranch?

13 posterunek is more like 13 police station. Pralka is washing machine haha.

Miodowe lata - you don't really translate that but you can say it's honey years.

Yeah you got it 😛

miodowe lata is polish version of the honeymooners

Good luck I'm glad you're into it, remember to check everything if you're not sure, there're tons of words that appear in all slavic languages but in polish, as you see, they will have a complete different meaning or won't exist at all.

You can always pm me on discord, I'm on almost every day:)

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Guys, in Polish it is common to use 3th  person appeals, like then I came to shop and ask worker lady there: 

- Pani zna koliko to kosta?  (Pani wie ile to kosztuje?)

its like say in English: Lady know how much it cost? but noone use english in 3th person appeals.

I heard it multiply times in Lodz and its actually little strange to have one on one conversations in the third person. 

Edited by Nancy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The sentence you posted, Patrick (Pani wie ile to kosztuje) is certainly valid. This is a language phenomenon, which is actually applicable to every language. What I mean, is that every language has it's own nicks and special treats.

A sentence that would be according to English rules (Wie ile to kosztuje, pani?) sounds nonsensical. A native Polish speaker will understand that you're not using Polish as a native language, and they will understand you. But like you said, it doesn't make much sense gramatically.

Just another reason why life is too short to learn Polish. Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1