Maximum possible resolution, and effect on aiming?

Phil-O

Hi community,

I speak to you from my humble laptop with which I've been playing ET for the last thousand years or so. It has a 16:9 screen with a 1366x768 resolution. I realise this topic is not really helpful for me since I won't be able to have a better resolution than this in ET, but still I wonder how much the game allows for?

Reason being, it apparently supports aiming the better the screen resolution gets. Sounds obvious, but unfortunately I never had a chance to try. Maybe in a distant future I will by a more performant tower only for gaming, but at the moment ... student budget and so on, you know what i mean...

So, what do you know about the game's max settings, do you use them, and how do you feel about the effect on aiming and general gameplay?

Looking forward to you sharing your impressions. Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

Really the only settings you can change in the game are your brightness, you can modify your width etc in the esc menu on most F|A servers, controls, you can change your fps etc and make it less laggy with a few / commands. If your screen is not big enough for you, I recommend plugging your laptop in to a TV perhaps if a new pc is out of the budget :D  

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

I usually go to a silent mod first, there is an option to change it, then i visit the servers i usually play, even though silent might kill the headshot sounds sometimes

• Like 1

• Clan Friend

It depends on what you mean by 'effect on aiming'

The game works with numbers not pictures, you have the angle of your point of view, and the scene is rendered in 3d with your resolution and settings, but when you shoot the server takes the position and angle into account.

So your aim is not affected by resolution, fov or anything else.

Of course we are humans, not machines, and in order to aim we need to see the enemy. That means that a higher resolution could help, but not so much... in medium-close range you could even play with 640x480 and play well. And if you add the randomness in bullets even if you could aim at every single pixel it would be wasted.

Monitor size is another matter, but I remember I tried a very old 15'' crt years ago, and my aim was actually better because of the shorter delay, even if it was a small screen. But I got a headache...

I wouldn't play on a 2'' screen though :P

Anyway if I were you I wouldn't worry, years ago players played with resolutions like 800x600 and the good ones would still own everyone even now with those settings

• Like 1

r_customwidth 
r_customheight

those are the easiest ways to change resolution if its not in the mod menu, or even just going to the cfg file direcly.
but i play 1920x1080. i'd imagine that since this game is quite literally based on numbers, it could potentially go as high as you want it too. especially since the 'highest supported" resolution by default isnt even a widescreen resolution.

and as far as the effect on gaming, i dunno....i feel like the crisper the image, the better you will see what you are pointing at. a lesser resolution would obviously use less pixels...and with that, the smallest dot for a cross hair is less finite than the higher res one. i prefer everything maxed out as high as it can be set.

• Like 1

Excellent guys, thanks for sharing your impressions. Indeed I know and use customheight and width in my config, put it on 1366*768 (15.6"). Haven't tried to increase it, not sure if it would work.

I'm also aware on the game being based on position and angles, but I thought playing on a big screen with high resolution might make it easier in mid- to long distance fights. The background of that assumption being, that for the last months I was trying to catch a guy whom we think might be a cheater (and we know he has 2 previous PB bas at least). One thing he does incredibly well is aim on long distance - even through fog, such as on baserace. Anyways, once someone said that this could also be caused by resolution settings. So that made me wonder if bigger screens/higher resolution made aiming easier.

I thought about the TV thing and have tried it, but it feels very weird. Anyways I'm not trying to become a pro, just play for fun, so my laptop will do :)

So once again thanks, and if anyone else wants to share their thoughts I'm glad to read them!

Phil

I usually go to a silent mod first, there is an option to change it, then i visit the servers i usually play, even though silent might kill the headshot sounds sometimes

Interesting procedure. Am I right to assume there are no headshot sounds at all on NQ(3) ?

• Clan Friend

Anyways, once someone said that this could also be caused by resolution settings. So that made me wonder if bigger screens/higher resolution made aiming easier.

imho no.

but then again, once someone said every possible thing :P including the fact that you aim well with highres :)

monitor size matters more than resolution in my opinion, but above a certain size it's probably worse if you are too close to it. 1024 is more than enough to play well (if you are skilled).

p.s.

maybe remove that link, you or some admin who can edit, thx

Edited by SunLight
  • Like 1

imho no.

but then again, once someone said every possible thing :P including the fact that you aim well with highres :)

monitor size matters more than resolution in my opinion, but above a certain size it's probably worse if you are too close to it. 1024 is more than enough to play well (if you are skilled).

p.s.

maybe remove that link, you or some admin who can edit, thx

Link removed

I`ve noticed the resolution for certain monitor affects gameplay, with one resolution everything is "squeezed up" with other one "stretched out" more and it was indeed more difficult to find right spot to aim at with "squeezed up enemies".  Also coming from 17" and moving to 22" its somewhat easier to spot things on bigger monitor. Maybe some combination of resolution and fov could work better for certain monitors. Never knows before trying it out;)

• Like 2

The game will scale the textures according to the resolution. I don't believe that there is a hard coded limit. Higher resolutions will make textures more crisp while lower ones tend to blur. Larger monitors will provide better vision in almost all cases. Just remember that a stable FPS, low response time (1-2ms), and high refresh rate (120-144hz) are also important factors. TV's are not designed for gaming. HDMI cables restrict refresh rates to 60hz and TV's aren't designed for more than that in the first place.

Regards,

xenozbad

• Like 1