100+ Arrested As Fast-Food Workers Escalate 'The Fight For $15'

Jopa

I'm not to sure where the problem of living with your family comes from, When my children are grown, My plan is to build a doughty haus 
( PA Dutch for Elder House) on a corner of the land and give my place to the kids. That way I can stay close to them and help to raise my grandchildren( hopefully :) ) I know I'm probably the weird one out there that wants to live in the 1800's, with internet, of course :), But I like the simple pace of life and the closeness of family. I am not a high wage earner by any stretch, but we have learned to make do with what we have and that means little to no excess, growing our own food and eating simple natural foods from nature, living within your means is very important, I make a lot less than $15 per hour, and due to a set of circumstances my wife can no longer work and has to stay home and take care of my youngest child, yet we are buying a house and paying our bills, all without government assistance. 

• Like 5

Minimum wage should be raised..it's not just about lower paying jobs...seeing people wanting to hire an admin assistant with computer skills,a maint man with ability to do plumbing,tile carpentry etc,a house painter on and on $10.00 an hour is what they want pay these people...in my area..raised minimum wage and they could not ask someone to do these jobs that take skills for such low pay

Minimum wage was initially introduced because it was the 'minimum wage' in which people could be able to live. Where it be rent, bills, etc - it was made so no one would be in poverty.

That's my only comment for this.

I do agree that where I live the minimum wage should be increased. No one wants to see other people hurting and not able to make ends meet. But $15 is outrageous!!

That would tank the many, many mom and pop shops in my city. I don't think many of the chains would be able to pay this amount and stay in business either. All this would do is result either a business having to close, OR them hiring less people to work - us having less jobs available to even apply for. I don't understand the reasoning behind this.

I do agree that where I live the minimum wage should be increased. No one wants to see other people hurting and not able to make ends meet. But $15 is outrageous!!

That would tank the many, many mom and pop shops in my city. I don't think many of the chains would be able to pay this amount and stay in business either. All this would do is result either a business having to close, OR them hiring less people to work - us having less jobs available to even apply for. I don't understand the reasoning behind this.

Looking at chain fast food (like Mcdonalds), the employee's wages are just a part of their cost and probably not even their high cost. Also, the productivity of the employee should also increase when they get paid more. More money generally gets people to work harder.

Do you want to pay ten dollars for a Big Mac?

California increased minimum wage in July by a dollar. Subsequently, a lot of goods and services went up by a dollar, effectively cancelling out "progress".

• Like 2

A person who works an honest 40 hour week deserves to be able to afford housing and food, even for a family. If that person wants luxuries like cable, smartphones, and a nice car, they can go get an education.

If these people make more money, then we can all pay less in taxes (less food stamps, less Section 8 housing, less medicaid).

Why should taxpayers continue to subsidize Wal-Mart and McDonalds?

Not to mention, those 15 dollar an hour wage people, statistically, provide a tremendous boost to the economy with their spending.

Also, read up on the extreme union busting actions from McDonalds and their ilk.

• Like 2

A person who works an honest 40 hour week deserves to be able to afford housing and food, even for a family. If that person wants luxuries like cable, smartphones, and a nice car, they can go get an education.

If these people make more money, then we can all pay less in taxes (less food stamps, less Section 8 housing, less medicaid).

Why should taxpayers continue to subsidize Wal-Mart and McDonalds?

Not to mention, those 15 dollar an hour wage people, statistically, provide a tremendous boost to the economy with their spending.

Also, read up on the extreme union busting actions from McDonalds and their ilk.

Good point..we do pay on the back end...so to speak ;)  for assistance for low wage workers.$15.00 an hour being too high depends on where you live..in the northest it is not..here in central florida $10 or $12 hr is more realistic

Do you want to pay ten dollars for a Big Mac?

California increased minimum wage in July by a dollar. Subsequently, a lot of goods and services went up by a dollar, effectively cancelling out "progress".

Source?