W:ET Full Linux installation "how to" - Enemy Territory

w0nder

I get asked a lot how I got ET running in Linux without the use of the epic failure WINE. So I am going to try my best to help who wants it out.

Here we go:

I have tested this method on 3 Linux distros, Ubuntu 9.4, Ubuntu 9.10 and BackTrack 4, and all were successful.

The first thing you are going to want to do is make sure you have the necessary files if you want a GUI interface upon install. More than likely if you are using Ubuntu 9.4 or later you will not have to do this, and if you do infact do it, you will simply just get an error. So for all of you that are running later versions, goto your terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install libgtk1.2
(if you get an error, more than likey you have it so just ignore it, lets move on)

Now, I have found that the et-linux-2.55.x86.run just fails, so make sure that you get et-linux-2.60.x86.run.

>>> Enemy Territory 2.6 Linux http://zerowing.idsoftware.com:6969/torrents/1f9d3519bb1a05a740918ca36820e83e3ddbcd3c.torrent (fastest download.. approx 4 minutes)

Okay, once you have that saved. Let us goto the terminal again and change directory to "home/username/downloads"

Once here you are going to want to run the file.

sudo sh ./et-linux-2.60.x86.run
You will get a install GUI in your terminal. Follow directions. DO NOT START ET WHEN IT FINISHES.. Close it out.. We are not done yet.

Now, we need to update to 2.6b for best results.

>>> 2.6b Patch http://returntocastlewolfenstein.filefront.com/file/Wolfenstein_Enemy_Territory_260b_Patch_linux;62010

Now it will save to home/user/downloads. So go there from your "PLACES" menu at the top of your workstation. Click on the folder until it shows 2 files (et.x86 and etded.x86) copy paste those files to your workstation (desktop), we will need those in a minute.

Now, go back to your terminal.. Navigate to your home directory.. then type

cd /usr/local/games/enemy-territory
sudo chown -R roflcopter:roflcopter '/usr/local/games/enemy-territory'
where roflcopter is, is YOUR user and group name.

Now you have set permissions to your ET folder so we can mess with it, plus get downloads for maps and pk files.

Ok, back to those 2 files you left on your desktop (et.x86 and etded.x86) ... Now use your "PLACES" menu to navigate back to home/usr/local/games/enemy-territory.. Now, you will see those same 2 files you have on your desktop in your ET folder. What you need to do is just copy the ones from desktop over the ones in the ET folder and overwrite. Tada.. You are on .6b now..

Not so fast though.. We need to update PB so we dont get PB Auth Failure kicks..

>>>> PBsetup Page http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php Select either Linux 32, or Linux 64 and download. Once it gets done downloading, go to your terminal and navigate back to your downloads folder, and type.

sudo sh ./pbsetup
Pbsetup will now open a install GUI.. Follow directions. Click "add game" pick "enemy territory" from the drop down menu, and then hit "add game", now click on it to highlight it, and then click "check for updates".. Pb will now update your ET.

Almost done...

Now, back to the terminal again please... Now we need to get ET to have sound.. Type:

sudo apt-get install esound
and then...

sudo -i
echo "et.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
echo "et.x86 0 0 disable" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss
exit
<< This one you will have to do before you start ET everytime, unless you want to make a script to start ET and this..

NOW, you are up and running.. You can put your .cfg files and ETkey inside your ET directory now since we gave it permissions.

Now go enjoy ET in a much smoother environment!!

et
to run

Enjoy

Edited by Fearless Staff

I recently installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop (using linux for the first time), this will surely come in VERY handy.

I am on Pidgin Messenger pretty much all day, so feel free to ask for help. I cannot promise I will be right there, but I am a stay at home mother + student, so I am around quite a bit.

Good luck

I am on Pidgin Messenger pretty much all day, so feel free to ask for help. I cannot promise I will be right there, but I am a stay at home mother + student, so I am around quite a bit.

Good luck

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I still need to finish setting up the drivers and programs + I've got a friend that got quite familiar with Linux so I'll be fine for a while :)

EDIT: didn't make a new post for the sake of not double posting.

I went through the guide today followed every step till finish, managed to get the game working, with few problems.

Not sure if it was meant to be that way but torrent link downloads the et-linux-2.60-update.x86.run file instead of et-linux-2.60.x86.run.

Also I couldn't run PB setup through terminal, so I had to go to download folder and right click->open, that seemed to work.

The main problem is that I manage to run the game, with sound, permissions already set, patched to 2.60b, but game doesn't seem to be able to actually read files or write them (including etkey). I couldn't even dump the console.

Dunno if it means anything but I've attached what console displayed.

console.txt

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize for double post, made further advancement today.

Most of problems were caused by the fact that I'm a noob at Linux.

The main problem is that I manage to run the game, with sound, permissions already set, patched to 2.60b, but game doesn't seem to be able to actually read files or write them (including etkey). I couldn't even dump the console.

For that I figured it out, I tried to start ET just by typing et in terminal and it should have been sudo et.

That solves for .cfgs to work right, also reading and writing files.

Despite that my GUID couldn't be read. It turned out that I copied the etkey in the wrong etmain folder (yes, there are more of them). The right folder is /home/yourusername/.etwolf/etmain and NOT /usr/local/games/enemy-territory/etmain (the one I copied my etkey into, which resulted into being assigned a new GUID).

But now comes the part that freaked me out literally, either which was resulted by my sheer stupidity or incorrect settings/drivers(which are best I could find) on my laptop.

I tried connecting to Jay1 and succeeded, but graphics were horribly wrong, flashing wildly in colors:

20100317215401goldrush.jpg

20100317215410goldrush.jpg

I tried connecting a total of 3 times, violation was game integrity (number #2004 I think), these were the 2 reasons:

shot0001f.jpg

kick2.jpg

I might have found possible solution for this on: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=608466 , haven't tried it yet, but I don't think that solves my case.

Well I thought my laptop wouldn't be able to run ET well, still had to try.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks W0nder, these lines fix my problems with the sound.

Now, back to the terminal again please... Now we need to get ET to have sound.. Type:

sudo apt-get install esound

and then...

sudo -i

echo "et.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

echo "et.x86 0 0 disable" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss

exit

<< This one you will have to do before you start ET everytime, unless you want to make a script to start ET and this..

I managed to install ET a few months ago but the sound didn't work for me until now.

Still cant get my sound to work, even if i do that. It works with other stuff but not et. But everything else does, thanks girl!

Type this in a console and paste the output lines.

lshw -class multimedia