iw3mp.exe has stopped working

w0nder

Question

I reinstalled a fresh copy of windows 7 home 64, I updated all my drivers, I installed xfire and xfire plus music plug in and then COD4. I went to patch to 1.5 but it told me I already had it. I then got pbsetup, updated COD4. I then went to xfire and selected FA Hardcore COD4. The screen goes black instantly like it is going to load, then back to desktop with a small box "iw3mp.exe has stopped working"

I thought maybe it was my HD audio Realtek BS so I deleted those drivers completely to see if that infact was the issue.. This time when loading it almost looked as if it was going to load.. Went to black screen but this time I saw a mouse cursor and it was in a different resolution, then back to desktop, same error. I got nothing. I would really like to play this game again but have not been able to get it working.

Specs:

Windows 7 home 64

i7 950 cpu

2 GTX 285 GPU's (updated to current as of this post)

12GB 1333 RAM

Realtek HD audio driver (version 6.0.1.5888 marked date @7/6/2009 and no updates available)

6 answers to this question

There are some issues running CoD 4 multiplayer on some onboard sound cards. Users with RealTek onboard sound cards and Windows® Vista should try removing their sound card drivers and allow Windows Vista to install it's default sound drivers. Please make note of the make and model of your sound card prior to removing it in order to aid in reinstallation at a later date.

To remove your sound card drivers do the following:

* Open the control panel link from the start menu

* Check the programs and features tool to see if your sound card drivers are listed here

* If they are not open the system tool in the control panel

* Click on the device manager task on the left

* Locate your sound card in the list, it should be in the sound, video, and game controllers section

* Right-click on the video card name and select Uninstall.

Users with Sigmatel® onboard sound cards need to install all Windows® Vista updates, and the latest Sigmatel drivers from www.dell.com. Please navigate from the dell homepage to support, your make and model computer, and look for a sound card update.

If you are running the game from a secondary partition, download the latest BIOS updates from your motherboard manufacturer in addition to following the above instructions.

Pretty much all ive found on this error

That sucks! I looked into it and found nothing so far.

Edit: I read about what hobbit posted, and i also found this.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=50145

HOLY OMG..

It worked.. but, umm, it seems I have version 1.6 so I cant play on FA... Lameness.. Now I will look into a rolling back of patches, but seeing as my game disks are 1.6 I am thinking that will not work. I heard there is a patch selector so I will search that out..

Anyway, TY so much, I cannot believe that worked!!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: I am crazy, I guess FA servers are version 1.6.. I was just on one of the servers.. Got raped and left, but YAY it works again.

HOLY OMG..

It worked.. but, umm, it seems I have version 1.6 so I cant play on FA... Lameness.. Now I will look into a rolling back of patches, but seeing as my game disks are 1.6 I am thinking that will not work. I heard there is a patch selector so I will search that out..

Anyway, TY so much, I cannot believe that worked!!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: I am crazy, I guess FA servers are version 1.6.. I was just on one of the servers.. Got raped and left, but YAY it works again.

Np! :yahoo;)

btw the FA servers are on 1.6 path only...so ideally tht shldnt be a prob...and yeh sorry fr replying so late