Running ET on Ubuntu?

Jobba

I was thinking about putting Ubuntu over Windows 8. I just don't know if my ET files would be affected. I was thinking about saving them on Dropbox, or a external usb flash drive, and then transferring it back onto the newly installed Linux. I don't know If i would have to install ET 2.60b for linux though in order for it to run. Anybody have any suggestions on how to approach this so I don't lose my ET files, but still have it run on Ubuntu 14.04?

NEVERMIND GUYS I GOT IT

Edited by F3@R

Easiest way to play ET on linux is installing etlegacy.

It will automatically download the needed pak files.

If you want to preserve your old configs, then you should save your .cfg into a pendrive and then transfer it to the .etwolf folder in your HOME directory on ubuntu, same with your etkey

• Like 1

Easiest way to play ET on linux is installing etlegacy.

It will automatically download the needed pak files.

If you want to preserve your old configs, then you should save your .cfg into a pendrive and then transfer it to the .etwolf folder in your HOME directory on ubuntu, same with your etkey

Does it work for 14.04?

• Clan Friend

Does it work for 14.04?

Linux is Linux it doesn't matter... at most the difference when you install ET could be 32bits vs 64bits.

I don't use ETLegacy and btw it doesn't work with ETpro, and not only for playing, keep in mind that ETTV is etpro as well.

For example this Sunday there is the final of ET nationscup Ned vs Fin, what if I wanted to see it? I would need etpro, and with etlegacy I wouldn't be able to see that match...

What's more, I don't know what he meant with 'automatically download the needed pak files'... after you install standard ET 2.60 you already have the basic pak files, the only thing you will miss are custom maps, mods, pk3s from specific servers, etc.

You can download them from the servers when you connect, or you can mass copy those files from your Windows ET install into ~/.etwolf (/etmain, etc.etc.)

Actually when I used to dual-boot (because of etpro+slac), I was tempted to use the same folder for both Win and Linux via symlink or similar ways (mount with bind, etc.) but I decided to stay with 2 separate installs because of slight differences in my config (mouse keys like mouse3 have a different bind in Linux).

When I moved from Fedora 32bit to Arch Linux 64bit I didn't even reinstall ET, I just used the same folder (my ~/.etwolf is a link to another partition so I didn't need to copy it)

1. I believe Linux version is already 2.60b. Wasn't it fan made a few years ago?

2. For files you could backup your configs, custom pk3s and guid/silent data.

And yeah Ubuntu is imo the easiest linux distribution to run Games.

You don't have to get lost in driver settings and stuff.

etlegacy is still in active development. And the pak files are downloaded while installing etlegacy. Indeed, you wont be able to join etpro servers.

And yeah it will work on ubuntu!

While running it on opensuse, the 64 bit etlegacy doesent work for me, havent been able to figure out why, but the 32 runs just fine :)