Electric car batteries....the truth

Ol Smoke

Here is something no one talks about.

We have been preached at for years about the oil pollutants of our cars and such.  How it kills the ozone and makes a mess and is toxic to our health.

But no one talks about the corrosive acids and metals used in the production of car batteries that are used to power these new electric cars.

The old lead acid batteries that started our gas powered engines could be totally re-claimed and re-used.  But not the power batteries they use now

In fact, the manufacturer of power batteries requires a slab of concrete almost a square mile, be poured before the plant can be built to build those

batteries.  The corrosive nature of these new batteries are as bad as any chemical or radiation chemical that has ever been made.  So, in order to protect

our environment, that big slab had to be poured to contain an spills.  That is just the beginning.

Power batteries cannot be reclaimed or reused once the metals stop producing electricity. In fact, the two metals used in their production must be sealed

and buried because of their contaminating properties.  At this time there are more than 500,000 of these batteries in the US alone.  They last about 5 years.

So as people buy more and more of these cars, and city buses convert to battery, where are these batteries going to be stored after they die off?

Here is another thing you have to worry about.  Car wrecks.  When these batteries are damaged and broken open, a Hazmat team must be called in to clean up

the spill.  Just getting the contents of these batteries on you can cause a lot of problems.  That is why in the manufacture areas of these batteries, everyone wears

hazmat suits.  Didn't know that did you?

One of the big scares in Japan, after the Tsunami, was that the entire facility was under water for a period of time.  When they finally got into the plant, they found that

most of the chemicals and metals used, were gone into the tidal waters.  These rare Earth minerals will find a place on the bottom of the ocean and kill anything

around it for 100's of years.  There is no way to retrieve it.

So the next time you come upon someone who is cursing the oil industry and the gas car industry, ask him about the electric batteries in his car.

Sideline

If you do own a hybrid car....get rid of it before it's 4th birthday.  The cost of replacing that battery pack is about 1500-2000 dollars.  No one is buying these cars as

a used car because of that fact.  Another fact.  A hybrid model of any car costs about $3500 to $5000 more than the standard model.  In five years of driving you will never

make that up in mpg.  The only cars that come close are the hybrids that have full electric drivability.  The new Ford Fusion has that ability, but it still costs $5000 more

than  the standard Eco model.  If all your driving is around town, then it will pay for itself in time.  But remember this also,  state governments are going to apply an

excise tax to electric cars to offset the loss of gas taxes.  Plus the charging station at your house, eats electricity like free oats.

Just saying.

• Like 6

For a school project we designed a diesel engine which had a much higher efficiency, theoretically speaking. During that project I researched a bunch of hybrid cars and trucks, to compare their efficiency. If I remember correctly, at the time it would take about 10 years for a hybrid to be worth while and that includes government subsidies.

Besides all the environmental problems batteries create, they also get their power from non-reusable sources. Its not like the power in your house is 100% from wind or solar energy.

• Like 2

I think its more about effieciency not about being totally clean energy. If I remember from highschool physics correctly producing electricity in plants and transporting it is more efficient than burning up gasoline in car engine, the difference should be roughly about 20% and if you put it in raw energy saved on all the enrgy consumed on planet it starts to make a difference. At least I think its the main concept, can be wrong here.

Also my bro pointed out that all the hype on energy efficient technology is actually wasting natural resources, mainly water. For example if one buys new PC, fridge, new isolation on house etc only because its more energy efficient usually we don´t think about how much water and energy is put into producing it. And comparing the energy put on producing and saved on using that newest technology often don´t give a gain in balance on using "energy" on planet earth.

In respect of car batteries they are being developed more like cell phone batteries and they are being given to "recicle" centers? No?

Many reasons that the "air pollution" has come to be a big topic.. is because that son of a b***h retarded a*s Al Gore.. Global warming is bull**it and everything that comes out of his mouth, the presidents mouth (i refuse to say his name), or any of the medias mouth is complete bull**it. The things that they say are better for the environment are actually 10x worse, but they dont show how bad they are, just like shootings and all other s**t.. Sorry if i offended anyone but its the truth.  

Well now thats out of the way... i agree to what Smoke said.. Electric cars are horrible and so are hybrids.. there was nothing wrong with the gasoline that we have been using for a hundred years.... LONG LIVE GAS! 

• Like 1

Many reasons that the "air pollution" has come to be a big topic.. is because that son of a b***h retarded a*s Al Gore.. Global warming is bull**it and everything that comes out of his mouth, the presidents mouth (i refuse to say his name), or any of the medias mouth is complete bull**it. The things that they say are better for the environment are actually 10x worse, but they dont show how bad they are, just like shootings and all other s**t.. Sorry if i offended anyone but its the truth.  

Well now thats out of the way... i agree to what Smoke said.. Electric cars are horrible and so are hybrids.. there was nothing wrong with the gasoline that we have been using for a hundred years.... LONG LIVE GAS! 

jiFfM.jpg

Stay in school.

As for the topic. Source please? I would really like to read up on people needing a f***ing hazmat suit to clean up a battery spill. I would like to see all of the research done into this.

because with some googling all I could find was some random "journalist"'s claims, and a small debate on a random forum. From 2010/11.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Tesla-Electric-Car-Crashes,-Ruptured-Batteries-and-the-Hazmat-Team-is-on-the-Way&id=3198984

http://forums.motortrend.com/70/8272439/mainstream-midsize-mezzanine/hybrids-unsafe-in-accidents/index.html

Only some fire departments do this, and honestly, I'm betting it's part of the call. For that off chance there's anything toxic... not for an electric car battery.

The only thing I could find that remotely backs this up is an article that talks about the EPA's report into the environmental effects of LI batteries.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/06/02/epa-looks-into-negative-environmental-health-effects-of-li-ion/

And a small excerpt from wikipedia on the subject.

Firefighters and rescue personnel receive special training to deal with the higher voltages and chemicals encountered in electric and hybrid electric vehicle accidents. While BEV accidents may present unusual problems, such as fires and fumes resulting from rapid battery discharge, there is apparently no available information regarding whether they are inherently more or less dangerous than gasoline or diesel internal combustion vehicles which carry flammable fuels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_battery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_car

Another good article that goes even deeper into the subject, although from 2010.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/es903729a

Just saying, if you're going to make claims, some proof would be nice.

• Like 1

jiFfM.jpg

Stay in school.

So i assume this was directed at me.. So you are saying you believe every f***ing thing that the media shits out, if the media didn't start SHIT about how gasoline is "bad" and "harmful to the environment" this discussion wouldn't be happening.... Also the fact that the energy that runs the cars takes just as much gas, oil, coal and other natural gases/resources to generate the power to charge the battery... So in media, gasoline sucks because it is directly using the resources, but electric cars are all cheery and good for the environment but behind the mask of the media it uses the exact same SHIT..... And i didn't say that hazmat suits were needed, i know Smoke did, but i did not agree with everything....

Edited by ValmirTheGamer

My view is that there was not enough testing and manufacture of the best power cells for autos before production.On the gas powered side breakthroughs are coming in more efficient and clean burning engines.I also believe people are wrong picking 8 or 6cyl over 4cyl engines when the smaller motor has sufficient power.I'm cool with performance seeking buyers..just saying everyday folks don't really need big engines.I tow a boat with a small 4cyl SUV no problem.As far as home appliances, electronic controls are a big step backwards.They have move hazardous metals in them are more costly to replace and are not as reliable.People often dispose of a fairly new appliance because an expensive board failed when all other parts of the unit are fine and would give many more years of service.. so the unit must be disposed of.these are just some of my views

Well had some time to dig up some nrs. Remembered correctly, Steam turbines eff. on electricity production should be 80-90% and transportation eff is about the same(wires). Car engines eff. is up to 60%. So its about efficiency not about total clean en.

No time but if anybody has more acc info deel free to add\correct.

I completely agree, and don't get me started about how the lack of sound takes away every bit of soul a car should have......

I vote we move to Hydrogen Combustion! (Aston is starting to go further into this tech as shown in the following youtube vid)

If it survived 24 hours of the Nürburgring, it'll survive your daily commute. 

Edited by ronaldounit0

And i did not mean to offend you, SiD or anyone else i am just simply having a shit day and wish that it would just stop

I ain't offended. I typically offend everyone else. hah.

The only thing directed at you was the facepalm/stay in school. May be harsh, but both of your posts have been replicas of the same old CT (conspiracy theorist) nutter shit that gets easily spread around. I have a cousin that I had to block because he spouted the same shit 24/7 on his facebook. It's youthful naivety.

I don't listen to POPULAR media. 

Shit programs like faux news, Shit papers like dailyfail and toronto sun, these are biased bullshit publications that don't care about facts. I would rather dig around into the science behind this shit, and I take from all sources to draw a well informed conclusion. You should do the same.

The rest of my rant was directed at smoke because, yet again, something is off. ;)

Actually, all I wanted to do was pass on some unknown and unsaid things about these batteries for people who are going to maybe buy on of these cars.

For SId:  everything I said is true and most of it I got off of sites that dealt with the Tsunami In Japan.  Some of it I got directly from Ford and from Johnson.

Johnson is a big maker of those batteries.  The other stuff I put together from reading about NiCad and Lithium Ion.  The hazmat thing came from a story

on the internet about a car wreck that split open the battery casings and the Lithium residue was all over the car and the ground.  The hazmat people were

brought in to make sure that the powder didn't get into any water systems.  So from that I researched Lithium and Cadmium about their properties and their

threat to the environment.  You can find and read all that. There are several pictures of the people inside a plant in Japan where they make those batteries.

Those pictures show them in protective suits.  They also have to be decontaminated before leaving the building.

The rest of it was just for people to understand that maybe the extra money for a hybrid is not worth the loss on the other end.

So no need for you guys to get into a big dustup over this.

• Like 1