my newest addition (cough)

PiNoY

I realized I could not grab atleast an I5 and upgrade my board, it's too old enough for these new components but am dying to have at least an addition.

Now, I finally understood, I practically needed this one. Time to add a new member to my rig. Ordered one today, that's all I could budget at the moment, 2 more days, sweet and excited a bit. :)

Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

7869301a17a4c8c37b409b3d7db7ba71.med.jpg

PS

I opted for 250GB rather than 120GB as I do virtualization when needed for OS testing, dual-boot & at times GIMP and Dreamweaver when it's hobby time. And some normals. Hope this fits mah need. 

• Like 4

Sweet, SDD rules, have update my game PC from 120 GB SSD to 265 GB SSD in January and my forum laptop from 250 GB HDD to 256 GB SSD last month :),  the old 120 GB SSD is now my Steam game SSD :D

Edited by DJ aka GDR DJ
  • Like 1

SSD is a good addition, only Kingston V300 has cheated on specs, replaced with cheaper parts on mainstream. Doubt if its the same with higher end SSD´s.

Am planning to get 260GB SSD also because Titanfall doesn´t fit into 60GB one.. have one ADATA I think this one will be also.

I sure hope so. SSD on this continent is double or triple the price and I was able to keep some extra bucks the past months . Getting it outside the country could decrease its worth. I just hope its speed would last for maybe 2 years at least due to cheaper parts

According to web specs, it is about 500Mb both read/write speed. Had watched a few forum reviews and felt good about my expectations so far.  Seen a few youtube demos and I think I'm gonna love a bit of its speed the least. 

And I look at the ceiling and thought of DJ lines having all SSD disks platform, wow that must be cloud 9. 

Excited. 

• Like 1

Alright, had a bit of time. And so 240GB SSD came. :) to received it at 8PM with almost $22 as delivery fee. I immediately installed Win7 32 bit for a quick test to see. Kingston SSD comes with all what the picture above was showing. It even comes with a small case where you can safekeep the SSD inside and connect it via USB as external USB drive , though the box didn't come with USB cable.

According to specs, disk can do 500+ for sequential read/write. Well that was my expectations 

Doing the test:

First, my Hitachi disk. I dunno much of its spec but its the slowest disk that my desktop has. I used Parkdale app for basic tests

My Hitachi disk performed about 119Mbyte for both seq. read/write test. It's really slow 200GB disk.

post-6735-0-15142400-1404938778_thumb.png

Then testing also my few days old WD 2TB disk, @7200rpm . I can see my WD outperforming my Hitachi

disk speed test result having about 158Mbyte.

post-6735-0-23173800-1404938894_thumb.png

Now SSD. According to specs, this Kingston SSD is supposed to be do 500Mbyte approx for read/write seq test. But I got about 220Mbyte from the test. Yea, it was below my expectation sadly to say but higher than the 2 disks that I have.

post-6735-0-93803900-1404939073_thumb.png

using Win7 32bit on WD disk, I had boot time of  29 secs. But with SSD, (same OS), I had like between 10 to 11 secs.

Disk to disk file transfer from WD to SSD having 25GB worth of files, and I had like 99Mbyte/sec disk to disk transfer rate.

post-6735-0-30526000-1404939261_thumb.png

I noticed that the longer it takes to transfer files between disks, the slower the transfer rate becomes, approx down to 60 to 70MB/sec. 

In the end, after doing some tests how this outperformed my 2 other disks, I then decided to install Linux over it as the OS. I dual boot  and amazingly had a boot time of about about 7 to 8 secs. Atleast, it was on Pentium Dual-core only :D Not bad .

I wish I can share more unboxing pix and 2 videos having my personal record of 7.5 secs linux boot time, the fastest boot time I had so far over my entire life :| Sadly Win7 is not detecting my phone rendering those files not being shared. 

Knowing and reading that this SSD would be able to do 500+Mbyte goes under my expectation but meeting that Linux boot time somehow convinced me that I did a good buy. Happy face, oh well, just another night I guess.

I know, I should upgrade my CPU. :)

Edited by PiNoY

500 MB\s is what most of SSD can do and even if SSD can perform better comes up the SATA3 600MB\s limitation. So if you don´t get that fancy Samsung XP4560810841(don´t remember and don´t want to, too jelaous) and the newest and best Asus z97 mobo with Sata express\m2 SSD connectivity, you can´t do better. And disk to disk write is 70MB\s because harddrive HDD read speeds can´t go higher and they drop as HDD buffer(16\32\64MB) is fulled quickly.

Pretty much any of todays SSD puts a smile on your face when going from HDD to SSD, boot times are good, games loading times gets better.

So enjoy your disk and don´t look at the numbers so much.

(sec boot time is a win in itself, heck some guys Firefox opens so quickly;)

• Like 1