A Route 66 site I saw many times as a kid...

Ol Smoke

When we traveled Route 66 in the late fifties and throughout the '60's we always stopped for gas and stuff at a Stuckey's.

I remember this particular one in Texas the most.  There was one in Arizona and New Mexico at the time, but this one was

the first we would hit coming back from Arkansas.

This picture is from Google Earth of that one we stopped at in Texas.  It is near Amarillo.  This is all that is left of it. 

In the old days, it would be packed with cars and tourists.  The famous Highway Bingo game was sold here.  Which we all played to pass the time.

We stopped here for the last time in 1963.  Route 40 was finished by the time we traveled again.  It was just a boring straight freeway from Kingman, Arizona

to Dallas, Texas.  Never again would I see "Cattle Crossing Valley" or "Tailfin Mesa" . Places I had made up names to go with the area we were in.

I could almost see the cowboys and Indians riding the plains when we went through there.  And waving at everybody we met.  And having that canvas bag

of water tied to the bumper up front, in case we needed water for the radiator.  I wish I could go back there and stay forever in that era.

1zxwrkl.jpg

This picture is of Route 66 as it appears today.  It wasn't much better back then.

15zfpdw.jpg

• Like 1

How would you like to take a nostalgic road trip with me?  I am planning a trip to see some of the old places again.

I have a million stories.

You give me a date, and we are so on man :D