MAF sensor for wify's car

soulJAHmon

It's a 2002 Ford Focus SE, 4-dr. VIN# 1FAFP34P03W152897

I need to find a affordable, but quality, replacement mass airflow sensor, that I can put in there. It was diagnosed at our local shop, so I'm certain that it is the problem child. I think it's an easy swap, but I don't wanna buy the wrong one, or spend more than necessary. Hopefully <$100.

Any suggestions?

not gonna get less than a hundred bucks unless you pull one from a junk yard. but to be absolutely sure its the MAF sensor, start the car with the MAFs removed. if the car runs relatively fine without shutting off then its the MAF. Crankshaft position sensors give similar codes and problems :/ 

lol. there are 5 different types of Focus SE's which either have the 110 HP engine or the 130 HP. but im gonna assume 110 since its more popular. but 92 bucks at autozone :D http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/2002-Ford-Focus/Mass-Air-Flow-Sensor/_/N-jhcouZ9gsmv

of course that link goes to my local autozone prices. but im sure they are similar.

The MAF should be inline with the air intake rubber tubing, between the air filter housing, and the throttle body. You should be able to replace it with 1 standard slotted/flathead screw driver, and 1-3 swear words at most.

There will be 1 harness plugged into the MAF also, so be aware of that, and be careful when undoing the clip so you don't break it off.

Verify your engine size as other have stated before purchasing a replacement. The 2.0 is extremely common, but the 2.3 was also widely used as well.

This will help you identify your engine: http://www.focushacks.com/mod/Identifying_your_engine

Any more questions, ask away!

EDIT: I just noticed you included the VIN< you can decode it here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin-decoder/

I also decoded it, and your engine is this: 4 Cylinders P 2.0L MFI SOHC SPI (found in 39% of 2002 Ford Focus)

EDIT again: Oh wtf.. looking at your part, that will plug into the intake tube somewhere before the throttle body.

Edited by Antichrist

From what convertor's advise was, I'm afraid to put in one that's not factory, he says the others have issues, and I don't wanna throw good $ after bad, sucks it is twice as much though........

Do i have to buy that direct from a Ford dealer? Or can I pick it up at any parts store?

A Ford, factory replacement part, is made in Taiwan, China, etc.. just like any aftermarket part.

Most will have warranties, and if your $90 replacement fails, you get it replaced for free.

If your $230+ Part fails, sure it gets replaced free also, but you're still out an additional $140. I'm sure having a wife, maybe kids, you can use that $140 for something else. A nice dinner, bills, beer, a new game, but in your place, I would be buying the $90 part.

I've replaced hundreds, if not thousands of parts over the years on numerous vehicles, and the expensive parts fail as often as the cheapos.

• Like 1

Some carb cleaner on it for cleaning. Then do steps above.

If it needs replaced, pretty easy to do and should have no problems if it is not factory brand.

Better solution....... Get rid of it and buy a GM vehicle.

• 1 month later...

Soooooo,

MAF sensor - $150,

Coil - $90,

Plug wires - $30

Final-fukkin-lee fixing my wife's car..................PRICELESS!!!!

• Like 1