Humanist group sues to remove cross-shaped WWI memorial in Maryland

Chameleon

Not trying to start a religious debate, but seriously this is so stupid imo. If putting up a cross violates your amendment rights, the fighting to take it down, violates mine.  This is a WW1 memorial, it is less about a religious monument, and more about remembering the soldiers that fought and gave their lives to defend our awesome country. It's just like groups saying, we should say Happy Holidays instead of Christmas. Leave history alone, lets worry about the future..

A humanist advocacy group has filed a federal lawsuit to remove a cross-shaped World War I memorial in Prince George's County, alleging the display violates the First Amendment.

The American Humanist Association says it does not object to the fact that the Bladensburg Cross memorializes soldiers, but rather the placement of the Christian symbol on property owned by a government agency, The Daily Record reported.

• Like 5

Not trying to start a religious debate, but seriously this is so stupid imo. If putting up a cross violates your amendment rights, the fighting to take it down, violates mine.  This is a WW1 memorial, it is less about a religious monument, and more about remembering the soldiers that fought and gave their lives to defend our awesome country. It's just like groups saying, we should say Happy Holidays instead of Christmas. Leave history alone, lets worry about the future..

Agreed

• Like 1

People really do whine too much. They need to find better hobbies.

So this cross as a memorial to soldiers that served is their biggest priority?

No mention of "In God We Trust" on our money, but not everyone in this country believes the same thing. And most people don't even care about the latter, either. Live and Let Live.

Why can't they put this much effort into helping the homeless, maybe curing diseases, or finding a way to end war?

No, let's complain about a memorial!

Such wasted effort lol.

Edited by Antichrist
  • Like 5

Such a shame. They have absolutely no idea what it stands for! In the fallen ones' time, it was tradition for this ceremony to occur. It was the right way to honor those who payed the ultimate sacrifice while serving our country. 

I realize that today many more people are against religion, but shouldn't we remember the ones who died for us the way THEY wanted? Why should any of us have a say? Also, what problems could anyone possibly have with a cross remembering those who died? If one died and didn't want a cross, fine, don't request a cross to be put on one's grave. But don't ever disrespect those amazing people by taking away something that signifies what they did for us, what is rightfully theirs. 

• Like 5

Ok...On the one hand I understand where they are coming from. Not everyone who fought in that war was Christian and it could be viewed as insensitive to act like they were. Imagine how you would feel if the place paying tribute to your ancestor had an Islamic star and crescent over it. Admit it, you would be a bit uncomfortable if that wasn't the religion of the person you are paying tribute to had. I'm not advocating suing anyone, but I think it's important to consider the other perspective before dismissing it as overly politically correct.

On the other hand, Ukraine is going to shit, Syria is a huge mess, most of the middle east hates us, the only middle-eastern state that likes the US is a mess, china is gunning for our position as the number one super-power, North korea keeps talking about nuking the west-coast to dust, our economy is barely out of a recession, half of congress won't get anything done because the president is a democrat, we've got drugs pouring in from mexico, gays are still fighting to get treated like normal citizens, our education system needs massive reforms that it'll never get, Africa is a gigantic mess of guns, drugs, warlords, and aids...I could continue, but you get the idea. A WW1 memorial is really, REALLY low in the list of priorities right now.

Ok...On the one hand I understand where they are coming from. Not everyone who fought in that war was Christian and it could be viewed as insensitive to act like they were. Imagine how you would feel if the place paying tribute to your ancestor had an Islamic star and crescent over it. Admit it, you would be a bit uncomfortable if that wasn't the religion of the person you are paying tribute to had. I'm not advocating suing anyone, but I think it's important to consider the other perspective before dismissing it as overly politically correct.

I think the meaning is remembering the fallen ones more than an icon of Christianity. It is a memorial, a part of history, and because someone doesn't like what they read into it they want to change it.. It's about the men who fought, and now someone wants to destroy that memory.. Just my opinion hehe

Here is the difference between the new liberal people in this country and the old state in Europe.

Here we have people who love to tear down the memorials to our fallen soldiers.  But in a little town in Belgium they care for the

memorial that they made in 1947.  It is to remember the brave American soldiers who liberated their town from the Nazis.  The Nazis

were going to kill everyone in that town before the American Army got there.  But the Army came to quickly, so the Nazis didn't get to do that.

The reason the Army got there so quickly...a little unknown tank group called the 782nd.  They were sent by Patton to close off that area and

prevent the Nazis from escaping and killing everyone in their wake.  So in gratitude the city made a monument out of one of the old Sherman

tanks that was left behind.  Ever since that day, that city has taken upon itself to school it's children in the meaning of the monument.  And to

take part in cleaning the monument all the time so that it sparkles with the shine of what those Army guys did for their town.  Why do I know this

story?  My dad was driving one of those tanks that liberated that town that day.  His participation in that battle and the others he was in will never

be forgotten by me or my relatives and my friends.  FA is my gaming family and now you know the truth.  We need to fight for what our fathers did and

died for in World War II.  They truly were the greatest generation of this country.

To my dad   Lead tank driver 782nd Tank Battalion "Treat 'em rough"  Fort Sill, Ok

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I too am getting real tired of these asshats, If no one had a problem with the monuments when they were erected then shut the hell up already, the world is not going to bend over backwards and kiss your delicate little asses, that are so butt hurt over what, A slab of marble that in no way, shape or form effects your ability to live. If you don't want to see it, don't look at it, problem solved. If you have conclusive proof that the men memorialized by the monument would have wanted a different statue to remember them by then raise the money, start a commission to investigate the monuments correctness and petition the local government to erect a supportive monument or removal of the first and replace it. As for a violation of the first amendment, they need to learn how to read. No where in the US constitution is the term 

" separation of church and state", That came from a letter Thomas Jefferson wrote to a Baptist church years after the constitution was ratified. If there was a separation wall, it would in fact interfere with the first amendment more by restricting the free practice of religion.

What is said in the constitution is " the government shall  make no law respecting the establishment of religion or the free exercise  thereof  . The establishment clause forbids the state form establishing a standard religion that all must follow. The first amendment does not require exclusion of religion or religious persons from public affairs of state.

Time and time again these cases have been brought before the courts and rejected, Why is that? Because people can't be bothered to read and understand the constitution before speaking. I get a lot of guff form my wife about being obsessive about the constitution and law in general, But I tell her " If you don't know it better then the other guy, They will use it to take advantage of you"

In the end we all need to learn to get along and not quibble over the things that don't need changed and work on fixing our country and ridding the corruption that has crept its way into all levels of the government while we were sleeping. The system works, the constitution is very strong as is, It s the unconstitutional laws that need repealed and we need citizen legislators that will serve their term and return to there normal lives, Not be career politicians  

as long as you believe as the liberals believe it's all good but if you dont then they want to try and force you to.Liberals are the true enemy of a free country in my opinion >most liberals dont believe in christ so anything with a cross or with the word god should be ousted.

People just need to shut the f*** up and get out if you don't f***ing like it. Many of us have fought to protect these borders so you can have rights. You u don't like move the f*** away. Go to a 3rd world country and see how the rest of the world live stupid dumb shits. Liberals = morons in my opinion.

Sorry this is a very strong topic for me.

gotcha Tunder...Deep cleansing breath brother, :cheers .They will get theirs in the end. Courts cost money, lots of money when it comes to superior court cases which I would force them to if I were involved in the case and it will still most likely get dismissed. These groups need to be categorized correctly, they are hate groups, plan and simple. However since their preferred targets are typically WASP groups and/or traditions, The media seems to turn a blind eye to it. If we started a group called Citizens against Asshatery and went after these kind of groups and trolled the ever loving shit out of them. We would be made out to be the bad guys.

As I have always said" If you can beat 'um, join' um. If you can't join'um F#@%'um. and If you can't f#@%'um...slash their tires and run like hell"  :thumbsup

• Like 3

Guys. Protip.

Shut the f*** up about your political views if you need to insult select groups.

Edited by SiD the Vicious
  • Like 4