Display Resolutions in ET

Phil-O
Go to solution Solved by Vanaraud,

Hi all,

I've been playing ET on the NQ3 server for almost a year now, sometimes more and sometimes less, and I got used to my shitty 800x600 resolution. Now I've come to think that in order to make progress, i.e. at aiming, I will probably have to change some settings.

I play on a laptop with 15.6" (16:9) display, 1366 x 768 resolution, and every time I try to change the ET settings to anything more than 800x600 the game crashes (see attachement).

Has anyone experienced the same thing or does anyone know a fix for this?

Laptop: hp pavillon dv6, intel core i7 processor, 4095MB radeon HD 6770M video card (alterning with onboard intel HD graphics family 1696MB).

Many thanks in advance

Phil

post-13849-0-07193800-1392388122_thumb.png

Windows 7? Maybe you don't have proper or latest OpenGL drivers ?

Can you go to START,  choose "Run" and enter "dxdiag". Go to  "Display" tab and post back a screenshot?

Meanwhile , have you tried with your config

seta r_customheight "768"
seta r_customwidth "1024"
seta r_fullscreen "0"
seta r_oldMode ""
seta r_mode "6" unsafe

and restart ET?

• Like 1

Well, according to my own experience I can tell you, that I had this problem when I tried to set a resolution which is more than my screen's actual resolution was.

Try to set a custom resolution in console. (Watch Pinoy's post.)

If it still resets to default one after you restart ET, put it into your autoexec or etconfig.

• Like 1

Hi PiNoY,

Thanks for the swift reply. I have to be honest, I don't know my way round any of the custum configurations etc., I don't even know how to colour my in-game Alias or enable the kicking-thing everyone else seems to be able to do. And in fact it took me a while to find the etconfig.cfg file - but I'm willing to learn!

Here's the segment you were referring to. It strikes me that 1024 x 1600 is actually deviating from what I have in-game (800x600), how can that be...

seta r_customaspect "1"

seta r_customheight "1024"

seta r_customwidth "1600"

seta r_fullscreen "1"

seta r_oldMode ""

seta r_ignorehwgamma "0"

seta r_overBrightBits "0"

seta r_detailtextures "0"

And as for the DirectX, see attached.

Many thanks again!

post-13849-0-01882300-1392397704_thumb.png

Thanks Svart,

Strangely the resolutions I tried were all below what my laptop is supposed to manage. The game then crashes, when I restart it's back to 800x600. And by the way, when running in 800x600 ET in full screen there is a black margin left and right.

One more question: what you call console, is it the same as autoexec or etconfig? Are they all the same?

Assuming that your ATI drivers are of latest, go inside your etmain folder, you will find 2 files namely etconfig.cfg and autoexec.cfg. Open and edit them both, ensure that you have these lines on those 2 files

seta r_customheight "768"
seta r_customwidth "1024"
seta r_fullscreen "0"

Go to your etmain folder, go to sub-folder "profiles", and you might see another etconfig.cfg. Edit the file to reflect the above changes too. Start ET and see?  

If that works, as you wish, you can then toggle

seta r_fullscreen "1"

so you can start ET in full screen automatically. 

But am not sure on ATI graphics/drivers though..can you also share your config lines that includes

seta r_ext_ATI_pntriangles "0" unsafe
seta r_ati_truform_tess "0" unsafe
seta r_ati_truform_normalmode "GL_PN_TRIANGLES_NORMAL_MODE_LINEAR" unsafe
seta r_ati_truform_pointmode "GL_PN_TRIANGLES_POINT_MODE_LINEAR" unsafe
seta r_ati_fsaa_samples "0" unsafe

Note: Whatever you change from console (the ~ key) , won't be saved unless you do 

/writeconfig filename.cfg

If you are changing values inside ET via console, you can take effect those other video-related config values by issuing 

/vid_restart

to see the changes. 
  • Like 1

In the attached screenshot you can see opened console. As D..X has already written it opens with "`" (or "~", whatever you prefer) key.

image.png

Every settings-related command can be completed by typing it in console. Also it allows you to communicate without calling a main chat window.

Autoexec.cfg and etconfig.cfg are files, which contain information about your game settings, so console uses it every time you start ET (at least I understand it this way). If you haven't changed anything in these files or in game options, you will run ET with default settings.

Hope my description is understandable enough.

• Like 2

macosxdp2.png

The console key is located before the number 1 from above image. If you press that once, a console window drops down from your screen. If you press it again, it closes the console screen. From that console screen, you can change most of your ET config values like mouse sensitivity, brightness, pitch, screen resolution and more..

• Like 1

• Solution

Run ET with administrator rights? RMB click on ET.exe, choose properties, then compatibility and tick the "run ET as admin" box.

Also check from monitor properties exactly which modes it supports. As you run on 1366 x 768 try in console(opens with  "tilde" button):

\r_mode -1

\r_customheight 768

\r_customwidth 1366

\vid_restart

And  be sure you don´t have any dots or spaces before slash in console.

• Like 1

Hello people,

Thanks for the many replies. I'll have to try a few things and read that to console tutorial and I'm sure that will solve my problems. I'm gonna be real busy next week but will get to it as soon as and give you feedback :)

Cheers
Phil

• Like 1

Run ET with administrator rights? RMB click on ET.exe, choose properties, then compatibility and tick the "run ET as admin" box.

Also check from monitor properties exactly which modes it supports. As you run on 1366 x 768 try in console(opens with  "tilde" button):

\r_mode -1

\r_customheight 768

\r_customwidth 1366

\vid_restart

And  be sure you don´t have any dots or spaces before slash in console.

Hi Vanaraud and everyone else,  :fixed

In deed it was THAT simple! Since I ran ET as admin I could change my resolution, no problem. Only annoying thing was that ET didn't seem to support 16:9, so best I could do was 768*1024, with black margins left and right (see attached).

Then I re-read your reply and realised your fix was going from the console, not the etconfig. And indeed, in the console I was able to set the custom resolution which was NOT possible via etconfig.cfg    :idea:

So - many many thanks everyone, not only can I finally play with a little less tense eyes, but I will hopefully also convert that into increased accuracy and kills ;) so you might regret helping me some time.  ;)

Cheers

Philipp

post-13849-0-79202100-1393196190_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil-O
  • Like 1