ET on non-Windows OS

Go to solution Solved by SunLight,

Before I made my FA app and my first time playing ET, I was using Mint and my vid card was Intel onboard only, that worked fine. Then I switched back to Ubuntu again as I always format my PC when getting back from vacation.

Hope it works for you too!

I don´t get it why people praise Mint? Its basically Ubuntu with different desktops. The version of MINT with the modified desktop of GNOME works as Ubuntu but some things won´t work as well. Also support forums are all linked to Ubuntu forums. Only differnence between the 2 is that Mint takes less room but on todays systems 200mb here or there... Basically I found out Mint is same as Ubuntu. So if one was very good with Linux I guess Archlinux  would be first choise and for newbies Ubuntu has much more support. Some say Fedora looks prettier but for me its more important how it works not how it looks. But its relatively easy to install them and maybe the logic of one suits more to you, so happy DL and pushing NEXT ;)

Just my 2 cents.

Also as I remember ET needed sound drivers to be fiddled with in Ubuntu.

And you could just do USB live stick with Ubuntu with ET installed on it and keep using Win for other programs.

I don´t get it why people praise Mint? Its basically Ubuntu with different desktops. The version of MINT with the modified desktop of GNOME works as Ubuntu but some things won´t work as well. Also support forums are all linked to Ubuntu forums. Only differnence between the 2 is that Mint takes less room but on todays systems 200mb here or there... Basically I found out Mint is same as Ubuntu. So if one was very good with Linux I guess Archlinux  would be first choise and for newbies Ubuntu has much more support. Some say Fedora looks prettier but for me its more important how it works not how it looks. But its relatively easy to install them and maybe the logic of one suits more to you, so happy DL and pushing NEXT ;)

Just my 2 cents.

Also as I remember ET needed sound drivers to be fiddled with in Ubuntu.

And you could just do USB live stick with Ubuntu with ET installed on it and keep using Win for other programs.

I installed Linux Mint.  Then used the Legacy package to install ET.  It runs great now, but I cant get my etkey to work.  I put my old ET key in ETmain, with Root access ofc.

However when i go the Fun1, i dont have GUID or xp/levels. (Freedom verified this).

any way to fix this?

• Clan Friend
  • Solution

I installed Linux Mint.  Then used the Legacy package to install ET.  It runs great now, but I cant get my etkey to work.  I put my old ET key in ETmain, with Root access ofc.

However when i go the Fun1, i dont have GUID or xp/levels. (Freedom verified this).

any way to fix this?

etlegacy you say? I think et legacy uses another folder than normal et.

normal et puts things in ~/.etwolf  (~ = /home/yourusername, and things starting with . are 'hidden')

etlegacy had another folder but I forgot the name, if you go to your home folder and you do ls -a or you show hiiden files with your file manager you should find it

p.s.

don't run et as root, it's not necessary

etlegacy you say? I think et legacy uses another folder than normal et.

normal et puts things in ~/.etwolf  (~ = /home/yourusername, and things starting with . are 'hidden')

etlegacy had another folder but I forgot the name, if you go to your home folder and you do ls -a or you show hiiden files with your file manager you should find it

p.s.

don't run et as root, it's not necessary

I copied the etkey into the other folder i found, in the home directory.  Even so, it still doesnt work.

btw i am not running ET as root

Hope you did not copy the etkey file as root user? If so, just go to folder where your etkey is and issue

chown  your-username:youruser-name  etkey

THen run ET again. To run ET, press Alt + F2 and from popup window, search for ET or type et

• Like 1

Hope you did not copy the etkey file as root user? If so, just go to folder where your etkey is and issue

chown  your-username:youruser-name  etkey

THen run ET again. To run ET, press Alt + F2 and from popup window, search for ET or type et

Thx, got it working! Thx for the help ppl :-)