My Mod is Better Than Your Mod.

Scortch

I did a bit of digging, (not a lot, a bit), and I didn't really see any threads that discussed the pros and cons of the different ET Mods. I have been thinking about moving around on the ET servers, and it occurs to me that for the most part I really haven't played any Mod other than Jaymod. I am interested in reading other player's opinions about the different mods.

Do people have favorites? If so, Why?

What are some of the main differences?

What are some of the subtler differences?

Are some better on older machines?

Is the 2.06b 2.6b patch the best for all the mods?

Give it up folks...I want opinions...there ain't no wrong answers.

Edit: Guess.

Edited by Scortch

• Leader

Best version was the ever elusive 2.56 patch ;)

Do you mean this:  "Enemy Territory Linux Patch 2.56 · et-linux-2.56-update.x86".  It is extremely elusive for Win-Sys users, yes!

• Like 1

I'm getting the feeling the whole patch thing is really unimportant. TBH, all of the questions are just sort of primers. I though maybe ET:legacy might be a better patch to use. (But then, I'm still not even sure if Legacy is a patch)

There are Jaymod servers here

and silEnT servers

and NoQuarter servers

and unless I'm mistaken there either are or will soon be Pro Mod servers

If there is one mod that is better than the rest, why isn't it on all the servers?

Interesting subject. For me, playing Silent is like playing vanilla ET. A bit like when ET first came out and we hadnt tweaked any settings. Compared to Jaymod wher ive turned off all the graphics etc to get FPS. Probably just a preception thing on my part.

• Like 1

there is no 'better mod' yet, the only thing that seperates the mods is preference, i for instance like NQ for the ranking system and rewards, jaymod is just a lasersmg fragfest which is what i used to enjoy, but not as much anymore.

• Like 1

Do you mean this:  "Enemy Territory Linux Patch 2.56 · et-linux-2.56-update.x86".  It is extremely elusive for Win-Sys users, yes!

How do you mean? was that version only for linux? I'm sure i played 2.56 for more than a year on windows xp, when i was a 12-year old kid back then. My friends told me i needed to patch the 2.55 version to a higher one (they meant the 2.60), but i didn't came any further than 2.56.

I had no idea how all that crap worked 8-9 years ago :unsure:

• Like 1

The patch is very important, Scortch. Numerous bug fixes, as well as mod compatibility is the reason why F|A recommends 2.6b.

Here's what I've generally perceived about the different mods.

• Jaymod: for fun, but very buggy. Still great for some easy going fragging though.
  • SilenT: Basically ET Pro. Now it can be configured in numerous ways, but I see very few "silent fun servers". It includes built in Anti-cheat, and F|A members (our founder, daredevil if I'm not mistaken) are on the management team.
  • NoQuarter: Another fun mod, though with less customization than JayMod, and also less features for us admins to use, and can be a pain in the butt for getting good player information that we can use.

They're all fun for playing on though, depending on your mood.
  • Like 2

Theres also N!tmod which have some fun features when turned on: like mortar and panzer cam etc, there were more fun features turned on a server visited  quite a while ago and don´t remember anymore.

Silent mod have trip mines, which can be placed on anywhere and ppshshsh gun which is fast and accurate as sten but doesn´t overheat.

Main difference for players would be how the game "feels": how you move and hit players.

For admins silent has best variety of cmds to use, then jaymod and nq\n!tmod. There is also vietnam mod which speaks for itself. Also etpub was predecessor for silent if I´m not mistaken.

2.6b patch should fix a lot of bugs and crashes for ET clients.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, Silent was designed first and foremost with admins in mind. Giving them tools to use to help regulate play and deal with problem players more easily. It also included some fixes to issues that were present in ETPub as well as adding it's own goodies over time.

It all boils down to which mod you personally like. Personally I'd recommend playing several as you may find you like one much more than the others.

As for which version of ET to run...just the fact that 2.60b fixed the issue with your resolution resettings or sometimes losing all of your graphic's settings (crosshair, blood splatter etc) makes it worth updating IMO.

• Like 1

• Clan Friend

it's not only about the mod, it's also server settings + players

mod + settings + regular players = final gaming experience

for example etpro has a setting for fastshoot, but I've never seen an etpro server with it enabled.

I'm not oldschool enough to remember it, but I think etpro was the first mod in this game (if ID software gave them the source code, it means it wasn't out for everyone yet, unless I'm totally wrong), and since it's also the one used in competitions, we can use it as a standard, and compare all the other mods with etpro.

It's also quite old (not updated since, I think, 2006) and many etpro features were copied to other mods with time (antilag, antiwarp, fixedphysics, spawntimer, specific configs for every map or axis/allies, even ettv support), so now players consider them as normal and they don't even know those features come from etpro.

Jaymod:

+ admin system, and everything needed for public servers out of the box (etpro needs lua or other stuff for this)

- (a bit) worse hit detection/hitboxes than etpro

- lack of features useful for pubbing not to mention competitive play (changing class easily, map specific configs, gibbing with knife, forcecvar etc. etc.)

- different game physics (some gammajump maps fail)

- they changed the game without reason (extra weapons, etc.)

- nonstandard mod (can't view demos from etpro, etc. etc. etc.)

Etpub:

+ admin commands

+ they didn't change the game too much, demos are viewable from etpro, no extra weapons.

+ copied everything they could from etpro

- hitting felt different when I was used to etpro

- different game physics (again, bad for trickjump), and bugs I have never seen on etpro (e.g. being revived inside walls)

Then, mods more or less based on etpub source code:

Noquarter (never played it so much)

feels like etpub with extra weapons doublejump, (and extra xp levels turning it into a sort of rpg :D), nice graphics, not bad but I don't know it much

Nitmod:

nice, when I first tried it, it felt close to etpro

Silent Mod:

+ based on etpub, but with many improvements/fixes both for players and admins

- extra weapons (meh) but they can be disabled

- revive hitboxes too low, reviving is harder than etpro/jaymod

among the etpub-based ones I think it's the best.

other mods:

I don't know :P

• Like 4

No admin chat feature for Jaymod or ETPro. Unsure about Nitmod or NQ. ETPub and silEnT both offer admin chat.

Jaymod PM system can sometimes be buggy and seems to filter PM messages if you use capital letters in your message. This bug seems to appear when a PM is being sent to multiple users, no such problem on ETPub, silEnT or ETPro.

silEnT mod is presently under active development and support, so if bugs are found, they are fixed in the newest version release.

I don't believe any of the other popular mods have ongoing support.

• Like 2