AK47 assault rifle inventor Kalashnikov dies at 94

Jhonny/Shinobi

The inventor of the Kalashnikov assault rifle, Mikhail Kalashnikov, has died aged 94, Russian officials say.

The automatic rifle he designed became one of the world's most familiar and widely used weapons.

source and full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25497013

Any thoughts ?

IMO: if I were this man, I don't know if I could have lived with knowing that my invention(s) would/have kill so many people.

While it is a tool of death, it's still a contribution to mankind and thus I shall usher forth an RIP. Not a big gun guy, but I still enjoy the Ak47. The design is nice, it's reliable, and it's usually my default gun in most shooters. 

The inventor of the Kalashnikov assault rifle, Mikhail Kalashnikov, has died aged 94, Russian officials say.

The automatic rifle he designed became one of the world's most familiar and widely used weapons.

source and full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25497013

Any thoughts ?

IMO: if I were this man, I don't know if I could have lived with knowing that my invention(s) would/have kill so many people.

Kalashnikov was designing tractors for agriculture, when he was asked to help improve the Soviet Union's army weaponry. And that he did, with a tremendous efficiency. His AK rifle greatly helped the Soviets beat Nazist Germany, thus contributing a lot to the liberation of the whole Europe. Not only should one feel bad for designing such a rifle, but he should feel proud for having it used for such a noble cause. Europe should be grateful to this man. 

Later uses (and designs) of the weapon included liberation armies, guerrilla forces, national forces, and in fact, the AK has been used (and is used) for pretty much everything.

Besides, an invention is just that, an invention, and a weapon is just an object. It is the arm that uses it and the mind that commands the arm, that are responsible for how it is used.   

• Like 1

Kalashnikov was designing tractors for agriculture, when he was asked to help improve the Soviet Union's army weaponry. And that he did, with a tremendous efficiency. His AK rifle greatly helped the Soviets beat Nazist Germany, thus contributing a lot to the liberation of the whole Europe. Not only should one feel bad for designing such a rifle, but he should feel proud for having it used for such a noble cause. Europe should be grateful to this man. 

Later uses (and designs) of the weapon included liberation armies, guerrilla forces, national forces, and in fact, the AK has been used (and is used) for pretty much everything.

Besides, an invention is just that, an invention, and a weapon is just an object. It is the arm that uses it and the mind that commands the arm, that are responsible for how it is used.   

Actually, it was first used by the Soviet military in 1948, 3 years after WW2

• Like 3

also there is the belief (true or not) that the "legend" of a simple machinst working alone, created argueably the best short range rifles for troops with limited training, isn't near the truth, but infact there was a well funded team that designed it.

I stand corrected, sorry for being so wrong. :blush:

Lesson: to always check again what I think I know for certain. Especially regarding facts.

Edited by The Partisan GR
  • Like 1

ak47 <-- that should have given it away :P

anyways, for all i know Mikhail Kalashnikov looked at the german stg42 or stg43, took out some key components, and switched those with some russian weapon variants, and there you go! the ak47 :)

Actually it was taken to use in 1949 by the Soviet Army, all though the model is, as the name says, Avtomat Kalašnikova -47. He said he developed it to defend the borders of Soviet Union, and added that it is the fault of politicians that it is used in some places that is not supposed to be used.

The main reasons, in my opinion, behind the 'greatness' of the gun are two simple facts. Simplicity of the gun and how easy it is to produce. But most importantly it is one of the best guns to use in 'hard' conditions, for instance, it jams very rarely. If we compare it to the American competitor version, the m16, its lock mechanism is known for the exact opposite, compared what ak47 gives.

Actually it was taken to use in 1949 by the Soviet Army, all though the model is, as the name says, Avtomat Kalašnikova -47. He said he developed it to defend the borders of Soviet Union, and added that it is the fault of politicians that it is used in some places that is not supposed to be used.

1947 was when the design was finalized, 1948 was when a few units of the Soviet Army first started using it. 1949 was when it officially became the Soviet Army's weapon of choice

Yes, model means the year the design is finalized. And I was just simply referring to the year it was marked for Soviet Army usage, the one used when officially referring to the starting year of the gun as a service gun. The fact that Soviet Army started test using it, as every army does before accepting a gun, is a different matter and that year was already 1947, those years are never used as the starting year, even though 'the gun is used' in a sense :) They added different kind of metal receivers to the gun in 1948, the following year ak-47 got the final go ahead.