Ken's New Car

Ken

So my new car finally came in today, very excited. 

Traded up from my 2010 Nissan Sentra, to my New 2014 "Fresh-off-the-truck" Nissan Versa Note.

Really enjoy it, more of my style any ways. Its a 5-speed manual, the gear ratio is very much different from the Sentra so little learning curve. Handles good in the snow and has good room. Very good on gas, about 33% better than the Sentra so I can save some money. If I had to pay for my insurance it would be cheeper. 

This is now my third vehicle. First was a 2003 Mazda Protoge, I wrecked it after hitting 3 deer

in-a-row. I killed a total of 5 deer in that car. My trusty Sentra, and now this. 

What do you all think? Like it?

Unfortunately this ate into my spending money, so I might not have a December donation, will throw something just might be small.  

I apologize if pictures a blurry, I have shaky hands. Part of the reason I cant snipe in COD.

NEW VERSA NOTE

gallery_8070_441_373114.jpg

gallery_8070_441_1006445.jpg

gallery_8070_441_17491.jpg

gallery_8070_441_1690890.jpg

gallery_8070_441_237168.jpg

OLD SENTRA

gallery_8070_441_1281048.jpg

gallery_8070_441_961417.jpg

gallery_8070_441_1794794.jpg

gallery_8070_441_98404.jpg

gallery_8070_441_502544.jpg

Edited by Ken
  • Like 5

In the Sentra to go 650km, which is 1 tank, about $65cdn. Varying on price of course.

In the Versa to go ~640km, also 1 tank ~$47cdn. 

Versa has smaller tank, but similar range and, lower cost. 

These numbers are from experience, and looking how much it is costing me at the pumps. The numbers online vary, depending on your countries standards.

Edited by Ken

The Sentra cost me $26 000, the Versa $22 000. Sentra is over 3 years old, with 89 000km on it. I got the Versa with everything in, winter tires and the anti rust/scratch package. I kept same lease rate off $100 (and change). So I am considering this a win. 

I hope you are leasing those cars and not buying.  Trading in a car at 3 years will lose you $5k over the next 3 years.

You are going to have to get better mpg or kpg than what you are getting, to make up for the payment loss on the new car.

If you keep a car 5 years, you will get maximum use from it, and the resell will be only slightly less than trading it at 3 years.

But, hey  I have owned over 88 cars.  So what do I know.

• Like 2

Leasing mate.

For the Sentra, my down payment, that I originally paid, get carried over to each car after. 

I am also on a 0% lease, so no interest and no fees.

• Like 1

I

You are going to have to get better mpg or kpg than what you are getting, to make up for the payment loss on the new car.

With my new job I am doing a lot more driving, like driving around the provence a lot. I have been spending about $1000-1100 a month. Been working the last 5 months have spent over $5000 on gas. 

So If I had worked for a full calendar year I would have spent over $12 000. Yes I would get my gas tax and rebate on my taxes. 

So a 35% (Lets say for convenience) is $4200 in savings. 

For the record, my gas allowance from work is terrible, but you make it up in the pay. 

Edited by Ken

First was a 2003 Mazda Protoge, I wrecked it after hitting 3 deer

in-a-row. I killed a total of 5 deer in that car. 

I thought people would find this an interesting stat.

Do you know what you do with 5 dead dear?

You can give them to the local food bank.

I get to do a good deed out of a not so good event. Now hopefully this doesn't happen again anytime soon.

• Like 1

How does it do in that snow and ice?

Snow and ice are no problem. Good winter tires always make ice a "no-problem" this goes for any vehicle. Also driving properly to the weather. 

I can drive threw a foot deep drift with little worries, higher than that and I probably shouldn't be out driving. 

Being a lighter car, can mean getting traction is "harder." But being a standard, just start in 2nd or 3rd and I am fine.

It a very agile car so handling is very smooth and easy. If/when in a slide pul e-brake, correct, drop e-brake continue driving. If when you where learning to drive you took a defensive driving course you should have learnt this manoeuvre, you do this on a standard, not sure about automatic.  Also being Canadian I have learnt lots of crazy weather driving. 

Last week a warm spell rolled threw it was +7c for two days than a day of +14c, 18hours later -15c and dropping. All fairly dry weather so no snow, but ice, so lots of fender-benders. Now snow is starting to pile and form drifts, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Forget the gas Ken, how long does it take to get to 100kmph?

Haven't test yet, also kind of hard snow/ice and all, a dry spell will hit than will figure it out. 

I'm pretty sure the quarter mile time is faster than the 0-60.... I'm just screwing with you ken, Nissan makes very good cars.

Well thanks there mate. 

I believe that there isn't a one-car-company-fits-all. Different things for different people. 

Another car company that my family is very found of is Subaru, for the 4-wheel drive, dependability, and resale value.

In the past 12 years, or so, my family has bought 7 vehicles from this one Nissan dealership. We have a relationship with them and they treat us well. You can have this relationship with any business. My grandfather drive 1hour 30minutes for a $9 haircut, because he has been getting it from the same barber for the past 40 years. 

Edited by Ken