"Move over" laws in USA

RedBaird

• Leader

My trucker brother-in-law just told us about this not-new law:

AAA describes California's law:

"State law requires drivers to slow down and vacate the lane closest to a stationary emergency response vehicle flashing emergency lights if safe to do so. This includes tow trucks and Caltrans vehicles if displaying flashing amber warning lights."

(The DMV.CA.gov site says that if you can't pull over, "...slow to a reasonable and prudent speed that is safe...")

Other USA States' laws:

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/move-over-law/

I absolutely hate the drivers that don't follow this law... IMHO if someone prevents an emergency vehicle from passing through, and a person dies in transit, that driver should be held on trial for manslaughter. It may sound extreme, but a few seconds are all it takes to cross the fine line of mortality. This isn't grand theft auto, this is reality.

Can even tell you the amount of times a careless driver almost hit me while I'm on the the scene of all kinds of calls from medicals to wrecks and fires. People need to slow down in general but the laws need to be made more strict for not slowing and moving over for emergency crews in Pennsylvania. We have taken to just shutting the whole road down till we are clear, can't trust drivers to drive safely anymore. I don't think it would be unreasonable to make it a 15 mph zone or less at an emergency scene 

I have seen people get pulled over for this. PD where I used to work would have, if available, a 2nd unit specifically to monitor for this. Amazing that it still happens even when we shut down a buffer lane.

Been on the books for decades, btw.

• Administrators

I saw this lady cut an ambulance off and give them a finger. I pull up at the gas station 5 minutes after that and she is there. I gave her a piece of my mind and got the cops there. She was driving on a suspended license and no insurance.

• Like 2

• Leader

This is a law? I always thought it was just common sense :-/

Yes, it is what I have been doing.  Especially after having to pull over and change road-side-of-the-car tires and having big trucks roar by in the near lane.