Custom pc I plan on building

Major2309

CPU: i use the FX-8150 Bulldozer - so let me tell you this one thing: 125W TDP is a lie!

PSU: i have the TX 550, works great!

CASE: OMG :-D dont like it, but it may do it ;-)

GPU: not bad!

MOBO:this is not gonna work very well with the CPU you want to use!

RAM:  too expensive - if you want to pay that price, go for 1800+

HDD: good thing, but also think about using a small SSD for windows! not too small though, SSDs prefer being as empty as possible!

DVD-RW: never heard about bad ones in the last years, so it should do it...

Windows: always my first choice! but be aware, that windows 7 is not able to support the multitasking, the processor is able to do!

Accesories:

Mouse: never heard about A4tech - would stick to logitech or razr

Keyboard: had that one before - wasn't lucky with it! i would prefer a g105

Speakers: okay to me, but there are better ones out there

Monitor: seems okay too, but check out iiyama, better response times! also you should think about using 2 of them ;-)

Headset: thats fine!

_____

my advice: definitely think about a liquid cooling for the cpu! i just installed a Corsair H110 - and all the heat-problems are gone (my old Arctic Freezer ..... Rev.2 was at 40°C in IDLE!! - now i am at about 20!)

If you think about an liquid cooling, think about another case! (or check if the radiator would fit in that one!)

the PSU you plan on buying seems a little powerful for the stuff you use in there...
in my system the 550 works out more than well - and i use a gtx660ti - i dont know it for sure, but it will definitely have more energy consumption than the ATI/AMD cards!!!

cuz first of all the smaller PSU will be cheaper - and u need to think of the energy u will use with it... 200 watts less - thats a lot!

greetings from germany

Rip the Jacker

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback I hadnt even thought about doing liquid cooling honestly x)

The mouse is a logitech G300 I just had this in a google doc and copied it but I forgot to change the link to a G300 Ill make sure to do so.

The keyboard has some great reviews on it, I was mostly looking for a good mechanical keyboard that had back lighting on it. If you can find me something like that then it would be much appreciated lol.

Speakers are just a temp thing since I already had them when I decided to build the pc

Now about the components, I literally just realised after copying and pasting that a good bit of these things should be different. I forgot to go and change all my previous things to updated parts. :/ ill post links to the actual things.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119260

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131873

SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W00ZD1539

These are changes I had already made but I had forgotten to put on the google doc before copying it here.

NOW lemme know what you think lol

I welcome and appreciate all feedback and thanks Jacker for putting liquid cooling in my mind x)

check this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131874R

990FX for the same price!

but just by the way, take a look at this one herE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1413551

its not exactly what u listed, but pretty much! and its less expensive ;-)

add an ssd, almost done!

the only thing thats not as good as listed, is the GPU, but it should do it, as long as you wont go for HD-Gaming on multiple displays!

My friend just built me one a few weeks back . Check stats for mine on my post. I have not full use of it but on Crysis 3 , Battlefield 4 , COD Ghost plays graphics turned all the way up for a full 2 hours of play my temps never get above 35 deg C. This is the first gaming machine I've had and would not trade it for nothing. The new games are fun I guess but I still enjoy ET the best. Good luck.

Hey Major ...

A couple questions before I offer up any advice or suggestions.

- how old are you, (younger kids tend to have less to budget, want GAMING style case's, and in general think MOR is more = i.e. better ...

.... while us older guys tend to know Simple, Timeless, Classic, and Elegant is the WINNING answer, even with computers)

- what's your total BUDGET ?

- what ALL do you NEED the computer to do ? ( Gaming ? / Basic Word pro/Office stuff ? / COMPLEX Video editing and multitasking )

Quad-core and hexa-cores and et all are great, and getting the best and newest CPU is great for the e-Peen but often is overkill for basic GAMING

- Do you want to go ALL OUT and build the biggest baddest thing you can ? or just build something that fits within a budget and gets the job done ?

- Are you in US ? I ask only for sources, I see you used NEWEGG as a source for some of your parts, I love NEWEGG and use them all the time, but I know some people, especially those in different countries can't always GET the stuff we can here through Newegg, and often pay much higher prices to get things shipped to them.

- Are you and AMD or INTEL fan boy ... AMD or nVidia fan boy ?

Alright Ill answer these questions to the best of my ability ;D

1. I am 18 and I know more does definitely not mean better

2. I dont really have a budget, I would like to try and keep everything under 1,500 though because ill be buying these parts over the course of the next 6 months.

3. The computer is going to be for buisness and gaming, I need it to be able to handle things such as cryengine and unity with ease while also performing all my gaming needs. Im wanting to do software based things on it for my career I want so its going to need to be able to handle such.

4. Badass and practical is more like it. Lol

5.Yea im in the US so newegg is no problem.

6. I prefer Intel honestly but AMD is cheaper but I also hear the quality is below intel standards.

• Like 1

Qty. Image Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price Update 11-139-024-02.jpgCorsair Obsidian 750D Black ATX Full Tower Computer Case Model #:750D Item #:N82E16811139024 Return Policy:Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy In Stock

Note (Add)

$159.99   $159.99 Update 13-131-989-04.jpgASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard Model #:MAXIMUS VI HERO Item #:N82E16813131989 Return Policy:Iron Egg Guarantee Replacement-Only Return Policy In Stock
Note (Add)

$219.99 -$15.00 Instant $204.99 Update 14-130-919-09.jpgEVGA w/ ACX Cooling 02G-P4-2773-KR GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card Model #:02G-P4-2773-KR Item #:N82E16814130919 Return Policy:Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy In Stock
Note (Add)

$349.99 -$15.00 Instant $334.99 Update 17-438-007-11.jpgEVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 B 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified 750W Active PFC ATX12V v2.31/EPS 12V v2.91 5 Year Warranty 120-PB-0750-KR ... Model #:120-PB-0750-KR Item #:N82E16817438007 Return Policy:Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy In Stock Mail in Rebate Card
Note (Add)

$109.99 -$20.00 Instant $89.99 Update 19-116-899-02.jpgIntel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K Model #:BX80646I54670K Item #:N82E16819116899 Return Policy:Iron Egg Guarantee Replacement-Only Return Policy In Stock
Note (Add)

$249.99 -$10.00 Instant $239.99 Update 20-231-428-02.jpgG.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL Model #:F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL Item #:N82E16820231428 Return Policy:Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy In Stock
Note (Add)

$76.99   $76.99 Update 22-136-533-02.jpgWestern Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive Model #:WD1002FAEX Item #:N82E16822136533 Return Policy:Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy In Stock
Note (Add)

$89.99   $89.99 Update 23-109-207-03.jpgMicrosoft JWD-00046 Black USB Wired Standard Keyboard 200 Model #:JWD-00046 Item #:N82E16823109207 Return Policy:Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy In Stock
Note (Add)

$14.99 -$4.00 Instant $10.99 Update 26-105-507-03.jpgMicrosoft 4YH-00005 Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB or PS/2 Wired Optical Mouse Model #:4YH-00005 Item #:N82E16826105507 Return Policy:Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy In Stock
Note (Add)

$19.99 -$5.00 Instant $14.99 Update 27-151-266-02.jpgSAMSUNG DVD Burner SATA Model SH-224DB/BEBE - OEM Model #:SH-224DB/BEBE Item #:N82E16827151266 Return Policy:Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy In Stock
Note (Add)

$19.99   $19.99 Update 35-608-018-03.jpgNoctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler Model #:NH-D14 Item #:N82E16835608018 Return Policy:Computer Cables and Accessories Extended Return Policy In Stock
Note (Add)

$99.99 -$22.00 Instant $77.99 Subtotal: $1,320.89

Here is the list of the stuff Im looking at getting for a build for a friend of mine. Why wouldnt you get the i5-4670K? Honestly I haven't looked around for parts in awhile so yours may be better. I'm just asking. Ignore the cheap keyboard and mouse. I'm going to put his current rig into a cute case for his daughter with pink lights or something...

• Like 2

that looks pretty good as well!

theres two tings for you major:

if you dont want to spend more then 1500 bucks, you will be able to build a beast machine!

let us know, if you want to build it urself - or get a full system!

Hi Major,

The PC Tulsa posted is pretty killer. The guy knows his stuff and I'd recommend you check out some of his prior builds. I happen to have an Intel build myself but the current line of AMD CPU's are fine for gaming and most other tasks. They also tend to be a better price point for CPU + Mobo than Intel. If you edit/encode video often then personally I'd suggest you go for Intel. The Samsung 840 Pro SSD is excellent. I've been running one for 6+ months without a hiccup. The magician software it comes with is decent and will automatically setup of over-provisioning for you.

The main thing I might change with Tulsa build would be the CPU cooler. That is probably the best CPU air cooler on the market, but it's also heavy as hell and at that price point there are quite a few closed loop liquid CPU coolers on the market that are competitive with it. Keep in mind a few things though.

1. If you want something like the Noctura D14, you may need low profile RAM because it's freakin massive.
  2. The only closed loop coolers than can really compete will be dual fan.
  3. If the fan on the cooler ever fails with a cooler like that, it's not nearly as bad as if a pump fails on a closed loop cooler.
  4. Depending on the CPU you get, you may/may not need a big ass cooler. They sure are cool to look at though if your case has a side window.

Here are a few case suggestions I'd recommend. I see your tending to lean more towards full sized towers, but I included a few mid sized towers that are on the larger size and have awesome cable management. Most of the cases I've posted are from a price standpoint of being cheaper, but 5-star (egg) rated. The Carbide 500r and the Rosewill Blackhawk are mid tower cases but have stellar reviews. I own the ThorV2 and it's a goddamn monster of a case. If you can find it on a sale, you can get it for under $100. In terms of cooling the Thor is awesome, but it's not as nicely refined as some of the other cases like the Corsairs or Lian Li's.

11-139-010-14.jpgCorsair Carbide Series 500R Arctic White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case Model #:CC-9011013-WW Item #:N82E16811139010 Return Policy:Standard Return Policy In Stock Mail in Rebate Card $139.99 -$10.00 Instant

$129.99

11-147-107-50.jpgRosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with Five Fans, window side panel, top HDD dock Model #:BlackHawk Item #:N82E16811147107 Return Policy:Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy In Stock $99.99 -$10.00 Instant $89.99   11-147-053-23.jpgRosewill THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case, support up to E-ATX / XL-ATX, come with Four Fans - 1 x Front Red LED ... Model #:THOR V2 Item #:N82E16811147053 Return Policy:Standard Return Policy In Stock $149.99 -$20.00 Instant $129.99   11-146-067-03.jpgNZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case Model #:PHAN-001WT Item #:N82E16811146067 Return Policy:Standard Return Policy In Stock $139.99 -$20.00 Instant $119.99   11-112-388-02.jpgLIAN LI PC-A76 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case Model #:PC-A76 Item #:N82E16811112388 Return Policy:Standard Return Policy In Stock

Just some food for though. Look forward to seeing some pictures of your build. Looks like your on track for a pretty sweet comp.

I'm actually going to go with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan for $35 to save some money and bc that other one is so massive and ugly. It's for a tattoo artist and he will want some cool shit to look at. I also plan on going with some white cold cathode tubes to make it pop :D 

This build just didn't have enough money for a SSD for a main drive, but you should at the $1500 mark. I'm going for 100% gaming performance (FPS).

My friend just built a backup PC with no case or anything using the same mobo and heatsink. It is still massive! 

1421606_802811836745_392964840_n.jpg?oh=

Edited by TulsaGeoff

Jacker I think im going to custom build this completely

NoGood I cant really decide wether I want to go for intel or AMD. If you have any really good suggestions for motherboards that go with Intel I might switch. I think the cooler master case that I posted later will for sure be the case im using as I will be able to take it to LAN events and be able to have the all around look it gives.

I had previously thought about the corsair 500R but decided to go with a the cooler master storm stryker instead.

Tulsa that thing looks awesome xDD

Tulsa, it's a great board. I have the version a couple before, the ASUS ROG Maximus IV Gene Z68, it's a GREAT MINI BEAST, and not $$$.

That's the plus side of going with a mATX MoBo, and he could still do crossfire / SLI with GPU's if he wanted.

The Asus ROG (Republic of Gamers) stuff is far and away a notch above the other manufacturers IMO.

The Rig you put together is balls, I'd maybe have some minor changes, but it's more matter of personal preference when you get to the level of quality that these components are.

Major2309 you may want to check out the site,  overclock.net  , I'm on there and it's where I picked up a lot a valuable information and insight when I did my first computer build a couple years ago now. I fully recommend check the site out BEOFRE you buy ANYTHING.

ALSO ... it should be pointed out, BLACK FRIDAY & CYBER MONDAY, and then Christmas and New Years SALES are right around the corner, and I fully endorse the idea of buying the components of a build like this piece by piece as they are on sale. Especially with Newegg and NCIX (I hate TigerDirect) they are always putting stuff on sale, and sending you cyber coupons after you buy something to buy MORE with ... so take advantage of that, and you'll get it cheaper than buying it all at once, and you're in no real rush to build this right ?

As for the gear, Personally ....

- I'm an INTEL guy, for the CPU and MoBo, BUT to be fair I haven't kept current with the AMD stuff and these newer FX and A series CPU's look pretty hard to beat for the $ as well :dntk , and ASUS ROG does make an AMD version motherboard.

- CASE, I like simple and clean ... a GAMERS case screaming LOOK AT ME does nothing for me. It's a computer, it should be BLACK and RECTANGULAR  :rolleyes:

I like the stuff Corsair, Fractal Design and Silverstone put out for compact ATX to mATX cases.

- GRAPHICS CARD, here I'm an AMD guy. They just make great high performance cards for the money that nVidia has a hard time matching up against. But again at this level

nVidia cards are world beaters themselves in terms of performance, but IF I was buying a new GPU today I'd be getting an AMD R9 290X

- POWER ... I like the CORSAIR PSU units. But any HIGH END unit will do, get what's on SALE at the time.

- Memory has got to be G.Skil or Corsair, and colored to match or contrast your MoBo if your case has a side window!

- SSD's, are a MUST IMO, and CRUCIAL or IBM are the ticket IMO. I strongly suggest staying away from any SSD using SandForce controllers (though they claim they have fixed the issue, it burned many a early buyer of SSD drives) ... and for HDD's I always get WD's Cav blacks.

- For Cooling it's tough to beat the Corsair Hydro stuff, I use AIR cooling in my rig, Noctua like Tulsa listed, but I'd love to do a new build using the Corsair Hydro stuff on the CPU and GPU ... some of the higher end graphics cards came with self contained liquid coolers already on them, and they are the ticket IMO.

- The other stuff, (keyboards - Cherry Reds) (mice - whatever works for YOU) (Monitor - the biggest and as many as your budget allows) is all kind of personal preference items as even more so.

ALL THAT SAID ... have fun with the build, but be careful ... once you get going you want to keep building them I found :D

Edited by LA_Kings_Fan

Look at the motherboard I chose for the Intel. It looks like its pretty good for overclocking/gaming without being $300-400. There are also less expensive boards as well. 

For sure Tulsa. I love those ROG boards and Asus in general. In fact my current build is running an Intel CPU with a Asus P9x79 Pro board. I was looking at the fact that the board and CPU you listed are going for 440+, when the AMD CPU + motherboard Major listed were under $300. The extra $140 could go towards his SSD. The fact he said he's planning on taking it LAN events just changed my mind though, lol. Moar FPS with Intel!

Major, If your serious about gaming or doing any work with video at all then I think Intel will serve you better. The board that Tulsa posted is an Asus ROG (Republic of Gamers) board and they usually have really good overclocking features as well as a really nice UEFI BIOS interface. You could go with something a little cheaper like this MSI Z87-z45 or something similar. Read some reviews. The good thing is, there are a ton of boards for these CPU's right now at many price points. If the Intel proves too expensive, I seriously don't think you'll be bummed by the performance of the AMD. In fact likely you'll never notice any difference unless your running a benchmark suite.

The Stryker case is really nice. I checked them out when they were first released and it was high up on my list, but the Thor beat it out via reviews and the fact I got a killer deal on it. Just keep in mind that the Stryker is a full sized, steel framed case. It's 30.2lbs before you put any hardware into it. That's not alot unless you have noodle arms, but it is awkward to carry around. The Stryker is almost 2ft tall and 2ft long. Just make sure you have the room. You'll be stoked once you start working around inside though. By comparison the Obsidian case that Tulsa has up there is aluminum framed and 21lbs. They're both awesome cases and if you like the Stryker, go for it. You won't be sorry....unless you have to carry it far.

One more thing. If you haven't used and SSD before, there are a few things I learned that I don't often see discussed such as over provisioning to allow TRIM to work correctly. Long story short, if your using a 256GB drive as your primary, have a larger drive on the side to store media, large files etc. Here's a short definition of over provisioning.

SSD overprovisioning can increase the endurance of a solid state drive by distributing the total number of writes and erases across a larger population of NAND blocks and pages over time. It can also improve performance by giving the flash controller additional buffer space for managing program/erase (P/E) cycles and improving the probability that a write operation will have immediate access to a pre-erased block.

I realize it's alot of ish to take in, but it'll save you some frustration later on down the line.

Edited by NoGooD