New Beginners Rotation

Daliger

Beginners Server Map Rotation  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which 3 maps would you definitely want to see on the Beginners server?

Although I missed the last vote I think, I do miss strike. The larger maps always seem to be/do better (well they seem larger). I know a few people that just trawl the servers for specific maps, such as crash, strike etc. Just my pennys worth, now ill go back to my cage and keep practicing my knife skills :-)

Ok I am just catching up with the conversation regarding custom maps. I understand that there may be an adjustment period for new maps however, when I have played on servers that use custom maps, the downloads usually go quite quickly. Usually you are playing the map in under a minute as the maps may be 30-40mb in most cases. I do not see this being a big issue as it can revitalise the game. If it is a question of bandwidth usage and server constraints that may be a separate issue but players downloading the map won't cause the server to die.

Secondly, you do not have to introduce all the maps at once. May I suggest an experiment of possibly adding 2 well known custom maps to see how it goes. The community can vote on which ones they would like but they should be very well made and preferably from a call of duty game so as to retain familiarity. If we are able to add 2 custom maps to the rotation and keep those maps around for possibly 1-2 months we would be able to see the impact on the population of the server. I love playing COD4 and definitely would like to see some new maps in a popular server if possible.

I would like to draw a comparison to TF2. Every so often, they may have an update which may include a new map. Players download the update, get the new maps and move on. Also, most games will have an update to improve/update features and maps and players download them to keep playing. This cycle does not destroy the game/servers unless it is a completely broken update. I believe we should at least try and see what would happen. If it doesn't work out then at least we tried. I do not want to turn the server into a circus but I do want to mix things up a tiny bit.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Can we PLEASE get a new beginners rotation and possibly test out 1 custom map? We need some change please!

Wow Vyder great idea. Thank you for asking!!   :kiss

Downpour would be fun. If we can not get a custom map on beginners and we get some on the 1.7 softcore server? 

I know it was just down a couple weeks ago but when we have a lot of the same peeps on day after day after day we should do the rotation more often. Otherwise they get bored and start looking for different maps

Agreed, its definitely time for a new rotation. I would also welcome Vyder's request for a custom map.

We've discussed the potential pros and cons of adding a custom map, but I think that adding one, perhaps during a period of time in which there is a smaller server population, would definitely worth a try. 

We've had this conversation many times over the years, but since a lot of people are new and weren't around for those, I'll go over it again:

For one, (and the biggest reason custom maps won't happen) that would require making the server a mod server, which means it will be unranked, which is something we do not want. Another thing is, with Mod servers it's hit or miss with our current admin mod, which has served us well for many years...just the thought of having to set up a new one from scratch and testing it makes my BP spike... Not to mention all the custom maps would have to be tested relentlessly for bugs and exploits that could potentially crash the server/machine which is another hassle/headache that I'd personally like to avoid.

We can throw in a few maps that haven't been in rotation for a while but custom maps for the time being are a big "no".

• Like 1

We've had this conversation many times over the years, but since a lot of people are new and weren't around for those, I'll go over it again:

For one, (and the biggest reason custom maps won't happen) that would require making the server a mod server, which means it will be unranked, which is something we do not want. Another thing is, with Mod servers it's hit or miss with our current admin mod, which has served us well for many years...just the thought of having to set up a new one from scratch and testing it makes my BP spike... Not to mention all the custom maps would have to be tested relentlessly for bugs and exploits that could potentially crash the server/machine which is another hassle/headache that I'd personally like to avoid.

We can throw in a few maps that haven't been in rotation for a while but custom maps for the time being are a big "no".

I'd also like to add my points regarding bandwidth, and the ability of players to acquire custom maps:

Well, for starters the moment the rotation changes to include even one custom map we'll have 5-6+ players trying to download the same map at the same time. Then the following evening, after the change, we get a usual nightly flux from EU then we're looking at easily 20+ players trying to download the same map at the same time. I'd like to point out that, that is just the regulars. I'm not counting the amount of unique/new players we get daily. Overall it would be utter mayhem for about 2 - 3 weeks while the server slowly died a painful death.

EDIT: While I love the idea of playing custom maps, it is not going to happen on a server as heavily populated as Beginners. I would like to point Trials+ to the topic in Private Section titled "Custom maps server", if you're considering suggesting such a server.

I agree no custom maps in begineers. We have good numbers and people hate downloads. However seeing a larger rotation and adding a few unique maps we dont normally see like downpour and killhouse and wetworks would be good

The only way I foresee custom maps becoming a reasonable option is if something similar to what happened with ET, happened with COD4, i.e. a few popular mods got a lot of interest and fixed/added some much needed features.

downpour lags people, killhouse is too small and wetworks is like downpour killhouse but on a ship

Right now I am workin on fixing up the promod server with some "stuff" so you all can have fun there but like its been stated over and over again. No.