Drug Tests

Narbisaur

marijuana is a natural plant that involves no chemical processing

aka its safe for you to do and you will never die from it

still bad

marihuana is still under drugs

drugs is baaaadd

BORR*ACHO: Marijuana is something that in most cases is smoked. Smoking is bad for the lungs, so marijuana used that way isn't healthy for the body. Also the "its a natural plant" argument is pathetic. Amanita phalloides, a mushroom, occurs in nature. Eating it is almost  completely guaranteed to be fatal. The oleander plant is equally as deadly. There are "natural plants" that can do just as much damage to the human body as a manufactured substance.  Just because something grows in nature doesn't make it good.

my 2 cents, a marijuana user doesnt bother me at all. a lot of guys i know, including myself, got clean for the job then smoke occasionally after hired. i dont like being blowed and i dont like being drunk either. when i'd like to mellow out or chill or just set a mood for something, i'd take a hit or two from the pipe or maybe a shot or two from the glass. like if im about to go out somewhere or im just at home about to watch a movie or a sports broadcast or whatever. maybe i just had a tough day at work and just wanna blow some smoke and relax in the tub or just in the bed in the dark or something. i wouldnt care, as an employer, to hire someone who failed a drug test. i got hired after failing drug tests before and they simply ask 'how often' or 'what was the occasion?' people just have different poisons. even tobacco, people smoke cigarettes, cigars, chew tobacco, etc. just for to relax/chill/whatever. and plus, alcohol is a drug too and i would much rather someone coming to work high on weed as opposed to drunk. drunkiness is just far too sloppy, uncoordinated, and just plain ridiculous. the high guy would be a nuisance too but atleast he'd still have some common sense in his noggin to work properly, not slur his speech, piss all the time, and stand straight. either way it goes, i dont think its fair either. alcohol and tobacco are just common drugs thats been accepted since the birth of this 'great' nation. just like countries where marijuana is completely legal and they have no problems, there shouldnt be any here.

I think I meant to say that a large portion of people who drink do so specifically for the alcohol, and not for the flavor or sensation of the beverage, first and foremost.

Alcoholism is a different beast for every person.

Who do you think breweries make their largest amount of money from? The people who drink one beer a day (maybe two)? Or the people who buy a six pack every other day and a case every weekend?

Who do you think bars make the most of their money to? People who get one beer on a dinner date? Or the regulars, who drink 5 drinks every time?

I'd think it would also matter what age group one was looking at when determining how much people drink and for what reasons.

Narbisaur

And you could easily tell if someone was drunk.  Way more easily than if they were a little high. People who are high don't stumble around and lose balance. People who are high don't get idiotic and start fights with people and talk shit to people. I think you might not have so much experience with weed (i'm not trying to be rude, at all, please excuse me if I have come off that way). And I would say MOST people drink to feel the effects. Why do you think they go to bars? Why do people buy cheap liquor? Why are there fruity, easy to drink, high % alc/vol drinks like mikes harder lemonade, and the like? It's certainly not for the taste.

I already stated that I have never used weed in my life. But since it is legal here, I know quite a lot of people using weed. At the age of ~15. Many turned out okay, but that's because the people I know at the age of ~15 weren't retards.

NarbisaurAnd of course you smoke to get high.

People take their ADD meds to get high, too. It's just a different kind of high.

People drink coffee to feel the caffeine, too.

And people drink to get drunk. Budweiser is NOT a great beer. It's cheap and if you drink 3 or 4 you can get a lil looser. It's made to get people drunk, and that's why they buy it.

Wine on the other hand is usually a different story. But the majority of people out there are drinking beer, and lots of it.

No, you smoke to relax. Same for cigarettes afaik.

I'd suggest you to look up the origins of beer (those in Europe). Alcohol in beer was never a requirement, and currently isn't. Perhaps in some countries or point of views (especially those who want to pickup drunk chicks), and perhaps those are the majority, but not in my group of friends (and of their friends). Same for wine though.

Edited by rolf

What I was talking about was the majority. I said that people drink to get drunk, and that Budweiser is manufactured and marketed as a great mechanism to do so. Yea, there are people who just drink it for the drinking experience. But the majority are definitely looking for the alcohol (their huge buzzword is "Drinkability," as in easy to drink lots of).

And of course, I can only comment on the USA. because that is the only place I really have any experience with, concerning drug tests and laws.

Then the majority I meet is in that case different than the majority of the US people you're talking about :P

Also, the general opinion of Europe about budweiser makes your point valid :P

I'm just throwing it out there, we've all (myself included) made a lot of statements with little to no facts backing them. To the best of my knowledge, there's no national alcohol survey asking why people drink, so it's hard to make generalizations. Let's just agree that people drink.

True. I'm just against the general assumption that everyone who drinks beer only does so to get drunk.

Btw, on FA, that would more or less need an international alcohol survey :P

I have in my contract that being in under any influence(alcohol, drugs or whatever) at work is prohibited. And I agree with it as I could be dangerous to myself and others under influence. But if I were in a group where one person smoked and not smoking myself weed last week and got randomly tested I could give positive result. So the problem isn´t what employee does in their spare time but the methodology used to test them.