Can't load Demos without ET crashing.

Raider-

So everytime I try hitting replay, game crashes. I've tried seismovision which I think is unsupported now, the newest demo viewer from this website and just regular ET but every time I get this error:

ET 2.60b win-x86 May  8 2006
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\silent\demos/etmain

----------------------
0 files in pk3 files
----- CL_Shutdown -----
-----------------------
Couldn't load default.cfg - I am missing essential files - verify your installation?

I've uninstalled and reinstalled using the download from F|A and no bueno. I really don't feel deleting every thing except demos and configs and starting from scratch only to download everything again. Has anyone had this problem before or know a quick fix other than starting from scratch. I'm hoping this default.cfg is something someone can send me and I can just paste it into the correct spot.

• Leader

Your quoted Search Path looks wrong.

Current search path:

My search path for a Silent Mod demo would be :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\silent\demos

That /etmain on the end should not be there in any circumstance.  The forward slash "/" implies that a human typed it in somewhere, somehow, as the proper file system syntax is a back slash, "\". [Added:  I found that I can enter / into Vista64's Windows Explorer address bar with no problem, as it is converted by the WE to \, so the only problem is probably the etmain part.]

If you are not trying to replay Silent mod demos, then something is really wrong.

Is your operating system Windows or another OS?

==============

I see from Chuckcun's tutorial http://fearless-assassins.com/tutorials/article/200-how-to-get-a-new-etkey-guid-since-pb-dropped-et-support/  that Mac OS-X and Linux use forward slashes, "/".  [Added:  but win may accept them.]

When I built this computer I basically copied my entire ET folder onto my external. I did a fresh install and patched it, downloaded the mods then copied the demos and configs from my external into the proper places. I'm not sure why it would add the etmain line, I never did any manual changes.

• Administrators

Are u using this one to replay the demos? http://fearless-assassins.com/files/file/697-et-demoview-edition/

OR U are using in game options to replay demos? 

• Leader

I was able to replicate your problem, and I got the same error statements in ET's console window:

ET 2.60 win-x86 Mar 10 2005
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:

----------------------
0 files in pk3 files
----- CL_Shutdown -----
-----------------------
Couldn't load default.cfg - I am missing essential files - verify your installation?

I was able to create this error but putting a copy of ET.exe into the \silent\demos folder and executing it from there.  When ET.exe is run, it looks for \etmain as a sub-folder of folder that it is run from.

You should only have one copy of ET.exe in your ET installation.  I would search for other copies in all the sub-folders.  Your "copy of the demos and configs from your external" to the first new installation may have gone awry.  I doubt that a reinstall would remove files and duplicates of files in the wrong places. 

• Like 2

• Clan Friend

I was able to create this error but putting a copy of ET.exe into the \silent\demos folder and executing it from there.  When ET.exe is run, it looks for \etmain as a sub-folder of folder that it is run from.

You should only have one copy of ET.exe in your ET installation.

yes, maybe his et executable is in the wrong place, but you *can* have more than one (multiple patches, demo viewer, etc.).

The only thing is, etmain and silent (and all mod folders) should be subfolders of the folder where et.exe is.

I tried both and seismovision on top of that, nothing would open.

I did find a 2nd et.exe in a subfolder named patch selector 2.6b so I removed the entire folder , didnt need it anyways. Still didn't fix the error and I couldnt find anymore copies, I'm going to delete a few of the folders I no longer need see if it can clean it up.

I just tried to set the default device for opening up dm_84 as ET and it gave me this as the path C:\Windows\system32/etmain.  I checked and there are no files in system 32, not sure if there are supposed to be.

Have you ever tried downloading and running one of the ETPacks?  No installation required, just download and run the game.  I've been using the same one for probably 6 years now and never had any problems.  You should be able to search and find one on crossfire.nu if you want to give it a go.  GL man.

• Clan Friend

Your ET executable can't find files. That means it's in the wrong folder, or the current folder when it starts is wrong.

You should check your fs_homepath and fs_basepath when you are in the main screen

When you open et, in the shortcut it's set up to start in the correct folder (i.e. where ET.exe is?) check the 'start in' in the shortcut properties

• Leader

...check the 'start in' in the shortcut properties

Yes, I get the a very similar error if I add /etmain to the end of the path already in the "start in" dialog box in my ET shortcut's properties.  Only the path complained about differs.

The odd thing about this is that Raider- says he gets the error when he hits 'replay'.  That implies that his game starts normally, whereas the two path-corruption methods I used won't allow the game to start at all.

[ADDed:  Sunlight's other idea solves my second paragraph]