Sometimes we need a reminder

Po3t

So I thought I'd share a story with everyone of one of my patients that has had a profound impact on me.  Since I'm new I'll give a little context.  I'm finishing my PhD in psychology with a specialization in pediatric neuropsychology. What I specialize in is the neuropsychological evaluation of children and adolescents who've suffered traumatic brain injuries and late effects of cancer treatment.  Basically, I figure out how their brain functions following incidents.  Anyways, here is the brief story of "Sarah."

Sarah was 4 years old when she was sitting in the backseat of her car in her driveway when mom forgot something inside and went back into the house.  There was some construction happening on the street in front of her house when a backhoe operator swung the arm around and knocked a very large limb from a tree that was right above the car that Sarah was sitting in.  The branch fell directly on top of where Sarah was sitting, essentially crushing her skull.  She was clinging to life when she was life flighted to my hospital.  She underwent numerous surgeries and I'm glad to say that she is alive and well today.  I first saw her about 18 months after her accident.  She has numerous life-long issues that she will have to deal with the rest of her life.  What was most striking about the whole situation was the guilt that mom continues to experience.  During the interview, she broke down crying repeatedly and the look in her eyes when she looked at Sarah was heart breaking.  I've seen Sarah a few more times since that initial evaluation and she is the model of strength and determination that I can only hope to aspire to. 

The reason I share this is that we (including myself) can get so caught up in the moment that we forget to look at everything around us and appreciate all that we have.  Not material things, but family, friends, and others.  Even though I'm new around these parts, this group of individuals appear to function very much like a family and I appreciate that.  For those of you who have children, take a moment to share with them how much they mean to you.  For those that don't yet, take a moment to tell your parents the same. 

You only get one trip on this giant blue marble.....don't waste it focusing on trivial BS. 

Thanks for reading. 

• Like 9

completely agree, had a reminder last night in why you should never go to bed angry with someone or forget to say how much they mean to you. You or they, may never get another chance and end up dying in the arms of a stranger that hopefully cares enough about your loved ones to try everything and comfort you or them when that's not enough. ( sorry guys had a very bad call last night, but that's EMS someday's  :unsure: ). Take care all

P.S. Like Heretic said can't we just force an application on him now  :thumbsup

• Like 1

P.S. Like Heretic said can't we just force an application on him now  :thumbsup

He's already got an active application :D We just need some to accept it now lol :P

• Like 1

I was taught this life lesson when I had my youngest son. All 5 kids before him were born healthy and happy (besides 1 being born 11 weeks early he had no other problems)
Our youngest was born with hydrocephalus. Most people see that word and have the same reaction as we did when we were told "whats that?"
Its more commonly known as "water on the brain"
Its hard to watch your newborn baby wheeled off for brain surgery and not knowing what chance at normal life he will have. 3 days after the surgery he developed meningitis, so he was back  onto surgery. Finally after 3 weeks in hospital we were allowed to take him home
3 months later his shunt Malfunctioned and needed to have it replaced... So back into surgery again.
It has almost been a year since his last surgery and so far so good. He is doing all the things a normal baby at his age would be doing and we cant be happier.

• Like 2

I was taught this life lesson when I had my youngest son. All 5 kids before him were born healthy and happy (besides 1 being born 11 weeks early he had no other problems)

Our youngest was born with hydrocephalus. Most people see that word and have the same reaction as we did when we were told "whats that?"

Its more commonly known as "water on the brain"

Its hard to watch your newborn baby wheeled off for brain surgery and not knowing what chance at normal life he will have. 3 days after the surgery he developed meningitis, so he was back  onto surgery. Finally after 3 weeks in hospital we were allowed to take him home

3 months later his shunt Malfunctioned and needed to have it replaced... So back into surgery again.

It has almost been a year since his last surgery and so far so good. He is doing all the things a normal baby at his age would be doing and we cant be happier.

Glad to hear the little guy is doing well! When he grows to a strong and healthy man.....kick his butt for making you guys worry like that!!

• Like 2