Lag every 3 seconds punkbuster

Aigle

I recently moved back from Ottawa to Sherbrooke since my coop term with RIM ended and that University is starting on January 4. Now I have HUGE lag when I join our servers. Each 3 seconds my FPS would drop REALLY low and go back to 125. After 2-3 minutes, it stops but my FPS remain really low. However I've been playing with the same ET, same config, everything is the same. After spending 3 hours yesterday on a way to fix that, I ended at posting here.

Here are my digging steps:

After connecting directly to the cable modem, the lag was still there, so the router shouldn't be the problem.

The computer is the SAME. I took it with the SAME configuration from Ottawa and plugged it in Sherbrooke. The only difference is that the computer wasn't plugged during 1 week.

Now I'm using a wireless connection, but being by an ethernet cable doesn't solve the problem.

I downloaded ProcessMonitor from sysinternals.com and I finally realized that PnkBstrB.exe is the only program that is waking up EACH 3 seconds while ET.exe is sending packets.

I've completely clean my ET directory. I didn't reinstalled, but almost did the same: delete all mod folders, PB folder and clean all pk3s from etmain so it should solve the problem if it was a corrupted ET.

Now I'm wondering what is going on. I'll uninstall the punkbuster services and reinstall ET.

In the log I see a lot of PnkBstrB.exe UDP Send/Receive jodion-PC:45301 -> jodion:63270 and then my ET.exe is replying/sending UDP Send/Receive jodion:63270 -> jodion-PC:45301

So I guess the UDP socket to communicate to my ET is on 63270 and that punkbuster service B is on 45301. However I have no way to say if this is normal or not. I did my best by searching on the web, however it didn't really help.

Any help will be great.

Thanks.

• Administrators

I will do some testing tonight and monitor packets. Till then I suggest you open trouble ticket with EB. I would like to know what EB has to say on this issue.

http://evenbalance.com/

Also, do you see red spikes? or FPS drops only? We can also try to disable PB on hardcore for few hours and we can see how it goes.

Can you also run ping -t server IP for 15 mins and post the results? Also, try to monitor packets using Ethereal / Wireshark.

if its a net problem try to stream a movie if it lags its external

for wifi its normal to get connection interrupted ^^

make sure auto update is off

how wide is your new connection ? i explain cos my computer can make 330 fps but on 1 mb internet it doesnt it continously say connection interupted and fps drops.

use hitman pro to clean everything up its free and pawns .

last one update your vid driver :).

just some ideas to try ?

its cos we are we we keep looking from same angle to a problem thats why other ppl who are not smart like me sometimes can help :)

i been on hardcore and seen aigle got kicked a few times and i saw this message all the times they where kicked RESTRICTION: Service Communication.. so dont know if that helps out any

I have the exact symptoms (fps drop about every few seconds, lagometer shows drops and green spikes, no red spikes whatsoever), and I'm also quite sure it's not internet connection that's bugging me, pretty sure it's machine lag. On better computer, with same connection (also wireless) it never happened or I haven't noticed it so far. It also seems to happen at random, it will behave like that for few minutes but then it starts to work normally again. It happened on various ET installations, on both XP and Win7. I don't think it's server related, as far as I noticed, it happens on every server, more or less every time I play. Hope it helps somewhat.

sounds like same problem a lot of people have, others have said they get same lag that I get at same time I am getting it. This is from some time back:

http://fearless-assassins.com/topic/2347-ok-someone-help-me-fix-this-game-its-been-driving-me-nuts/

I just took some screen shots of my lagometer, one with yellow on top is from the screenshot lag, usually only see the spikes that are in others. Lag lasts a minute or 2, stops, and often comes back later in map. Also, on non pb servers I have tried, I don't get the lag.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xziumjdmjyo

http://www.mediafire.com/?2czzzz1nt3k

http://www.mediafire.com/?4mjzznkd2jw

http://www.mediafire.com/?mcjjenxkznt

http://www.mediafire.com/?mm3mjnmbku3

http://www.mediafire.com/?2yzqjyngcmo

I have the exact symptoms (fps drop about every few seconds, lagometer shows drops and green spikes, no red spikes whatsoever), and I'm also quite sure it's not internet connection that's bugging me, pretty sure it's machine lag. On better computer, with same connection (also wireless) it never happened or I haven't noticed it so far. It also seems to happen at random, it will behave like that for few minutes but then it starts to work normally again. It happened on various ET installations, on both XP and Win7. I don't think it's server related, as far as I noticed, it happens on every server, more or less every time I play. Hope it helps somewhat.

It's PB related for sure. On your "better" computer, are you on XP or vista. I suspect that it's on vista only. When I boot my PC on Ubuntu, I don't get the lag. My older laptop which is on XP doesn't get the lag. So for 100% sure, the lag comes from Punkbuster + vista. I've monitored in the background with processmonitor so it wouldn't affect my ET and I've put the lowest filter. Each time I get a lag, the PnkBstrB.exe process communicate with my ET. I'll try to post a ticket on Evenbalance.

I have the same problem as well, fps drop every few seconds at the beginning of maps, wears off after a few minutes, will sometimes randomly appear in the middle of a map, but after I've been playing for a few hours seems to stop period.

I thought I was alone in the world til a week or so ago when I mentioned it on etpub and 2 other people had the same problem... maybe this is really common.

It's PB related for sure. On your "better" computer, are you on XP or vista. I suspect that it's on vista only. When I boot my PC on Ubuntu, I don't get the lag. My older laptop which is on XP doesn't get the lag. So for 100% sure, the lag comes from Punkbuster + vista. I've monitored in the background with processmonitor so it wouldn't affect my ET and I've put the lowest filter. Each time I get a lag, the PnkBstrB.exe process communicate with my ET. I'll try to post a ticket on Evenbalance.

I am on an older pc using windows XP

Welcome to ET, it's pb lags, alot of etpro players have them but they aren't that common in other mods which is strange, there's no way to get rid of them apart from playing on no-pb configs (for etpro) or playing on non-pb servers, you can change your pb_sleep and pb_security and see if it helps

the yellow lag in the bleu line is lag in your home network (when your windows is updating or something like that for me i hate x fire it just dl even if you set it on not while ingame ) the spikes in the green line is the server .

second this game was made for 10 against 10 not 30 against 30 so the stream is a bit off :)

it usualy helps if you set your rate to the maxrate of the server so i have diffrent cfg for diffrent servers with diffrent max vallues also for maxpackets and stuff like that .

for this vista talk :) vista takes lot moore capaciti from a computer than xp it needs at least 2 gb memory as xp just uses 1 :) and remember you need hunk for game and some graffic cards use shared so make shure you got lots :) (32 bit works with 3 gb 64 upto 24 gb or even moore if you can spend what you want .

• Administrators

Seems like connection issue at your side Aigle.

[01.03.2010 23:49:54] VIOLATION (IGNORING QUERIES) #9013: Aigle (slot #8) Ignoring MD5Tool Queries [XXXXXXXX(VALID:498) 7IP:38942]

Can you do port forwarding on your router and disable firewall of your PC and router ?

Seems like connection issue at your side Aigle.

[01.03.2010 23:49:54] VIOLATION (IGNORING QUERIES) #9013: Aigle (slot #8) Ignoring MD5Tool Queries [XXXXXXXX(VALID:498) 7IP:38942]

Can you do port forwarding on your router and disable firewall of your PC and router ?

Don't look at logs. I was doing A LOT of test:

I came in with punkbuster service uninstalled

With PB folder removed from my computer

With killing the process of punkbuster service B

Killing process of PB A

Each time I was getting kick it was normal. My lag is ALWAYS there. I don't get any problems with a kick or anything. I join the server, the lag is there and won't go away. If you search on Google "lag every 2 seconds punkbuster" you will find a lot of post without any solutions for all the games of punkbuster. Those post are recent and aren't going away. There is a lot of tickets opened at evenbalance for that and they are all waiting for a reply.

While I was doing the tests, my computer was directly connected to my modem to be sure that the problem wasn't from my router. I have NO firewall installed and the windows firewall is disabled.

The ping to the server is completely stable, it never fluctuate a lot during the 15 minutes. So the problem doesn't come from the server. I disabled PB from the bpc|box server and joined it. I didn't got the lag at that time. So the lag is from punkbuster and I can't do anything about it. What I don't get is why it's only a little part of the vista users and why only now. I didn't had that problem back 2 weeks ago.

• Administrators

What I don't get is why it's only a little part of the vista users and why only now. I didn't had that problem back 2 weeks ago.

Then issue is in their last update.

Wednesday 12.09.2009 [4:30PM]

Version 2.213 of the PB Client for ET has been released to our PB Master Servers for