SQL, looking to get a head start on my classes.

CaulkLiquor

Hey guys, I am taking THIS program at my college. So far I've got decent marks (all 80+, except for one, my lowest was our introduction to databases, I had trouble comprehending normalization but still got a 79%) but in 3rd semester we are getting into SQL and Microsoft SQL Server (please don't start a flame war over this lol).

I am curious if any of you know of a decent tool to get a decent foundation on SQL and/or Microsoft SQL Server.

Also, F*** Cisco.

It depends on what you're going to learn.

If you're about to play with ER-models, which is also part of SQL, then just draw. If you're testing queries, just write some. I don't like databases really (especially setting it up / ER models and stuff), but I think that waiting for the teacher to explain everything is more useful than to practice on your own without guidance and learn things which are wrong.

TBH I just want a decent foundation in the syntax and semantics of the "language (? lol)"

while formatting, normalization, server management and sanitation are concepts are I will be learning in class, I've already read a bit about the subject. I guess I'm just asking for a decent tool with some basic - intermediate lessons on SQL

there are a couple out there, I just wanted to ask you guys about any leads or experience you might have.

When I had to learn SQL for a project I started by installing MySQL on the Linux distro I had and just messed about with it, using google for answers. Thankfully I had a few friends that were pretty much always on hand to answer any questions that Google couldn't answer.

The way I've always learnt things is by setting myself a small test project, normally based around a simple idea of something I want to build, then just build it using simple trial and error. However, like Rolf mentioned, the downside is that you'll learn to do things your way and sometimes that isn't necessarily the /right/ way.

I dont think there's a foundation tool that can be enough for everybody's need. I think, basically you can start with simple commands or management with SQL, like never approached a programming language and start coding exponential factoring algo already.

We cannot teach all the technicals around here. But maybe start with Hello world basic concept, and move forward bit by bit by concept to learn more of SQL, MSSQL or MySQL. When I was in school, the era of databases program was like 3rd-generation still. So, I never learned the new databases of today, but if you had understand how the concept works, it is really pretty much easy to the new database flow, archi and management imho. Just take some courage learning pills, and absorb what you can, then maybe apply them at your work space. Goodluck