"Initializing" on my screen all the time

1 hour ago, Snoopcat said:

Thanks for your help.

I set the values to 128/128/64, did a vid_restart, all taht after reinstalling the game from scratch and still it doesn't work.

I checked with ET_minimalizer, used memory while playing ET : 64%. ET is using 22% of the CPU and 127Mo memory. I have plenty left so I don't think this is the problem.

If it can be turned of server side, why bother with it, what is it used for ?

The idea behind it was to improve map load times and tbf for the most part it does do that but your talking a second or two if that. Given todays broadband and computer speeds its not really needed IMO but i think its on by default, so if server has had issues with crashes, which it has with so many players of late there is a good chance its been put on by default rather than server admin turning it on.

I can be turned off by server admin though so worth a try and see how it goes?.

Edited by Snuffs99

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

The idea behind it was to improve map load times and tbf for the most part it does do that but your talking a second or two if that. Given todays broadband and computer speeds its not really needed IMO but i think its on by default, so if server has had issues with crashes, which it has with so many players of late there is a good chance its been put on by default rather than server admin turning it on.

I can be turned off by server admin though so worth a try and see how it goes?.

No that's not true. It helps with config string aka max gamestate chars kick. 

image.png

7 hours ago, Snoopcat said:

Hey guys,

Posting a reply here because i get the same problem mentioned : Initializing message not disappearing the whole map (sometimes it does after 10-20min, sometimes not at all).

I tried to set all com_XXXmegs to higher values (zone, hunk, sound..) and did vid_restart a lot of time without success.

Does someone have the final solution to this or is it a server problem ?

My laptop has 4GB RAM and nothing else running while playing.

Please try now - i increased the value to 10 from 6. If even 15 doesn't resolve it - we will make it player count based. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 1

40 minutes ago, daredevil said:

No that's not true. It helps with config string aka max gamestate chars kick. 

Apologies, shows what i know :D read a long time ago it was to improve load times, my bad for wrong info in that case.

Either way can it not be turned off? I wont bet the house on it but i swear it wasn't turned on on NQ1 a few weeks back? Maybe i'm just gong mad.

• Like 1

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Snuffs99 said:

but i swear it wasn't turned on on NQ1 a few weeks back? Maybe i'm just gong mad.

We enabled it back after 2 to 4 times, massive players got auto kicked because of max gamestate chars.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Hello and thanks for your action.

I just tested this morning and it seems ok ! The message stayed like 5s and went away.

There were only 2 people connected. Usually when I play there is more lie 20-30 people so I'll check again next time when the server is more crowded and keep you posted.

• Like 1
  • 100 2

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Snoopcat said:

Sorry for the bad news but I tested again this afternoon (16 players online) and this evening (25+ players online) and the behaviour was the same again : Initializing.. during all the map.

U get same issue even if u do /reconnect? Just trying to find whats causing the issue.. but NQ source code isn't available so it's tough. 

i hope ur not / com setting those values it wont change..

it needs to be set in ur load perimeter line.

im doubting thats a hunk zone  or sound meg thing.. not sittin at ur pc or on discord so it would only be a guess. at this point .  4 gigs a ram is way more than enough fur et.

i would check my install of et.   i would set compatibility mode.  and mess with run time!

"C:\Users\jesse\Desktop\my et\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\et.exe" + set com_hunkMegs "256" + set com_zoneMegs "128" + set com_soundMegs "64"

try setting ur load  perimeter like  mine.

an how many peeps are getting this error .. has anyone tried to get this error to pop off on there pc. interesting indeed. sorry if i just sound like babble . just tryin to be helpful.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

9 hours ago, captnconcrete said:

i hope ur not / com setting those values it wont change..

it needs to be set in ur load perimeter line.

im doubting thats a hunk zone  or sound meg thing.. not sittin at ur pc or on discord so it would only be a guess. at this point .  4 gigs a ram is way more than enough fur et.

i would check my install of et.   i would set compatibility mode.  and mess with run time!

"C:\Users\jesse\Desktop\my et\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\et.exe" + set com_hunkMegs "256" + set com_zoneMegs "128" + set com_soundMegs "64"

try setting ur load  perimeter like  mine.

an how many peeps are getting this error .. has anyone tried to get this error to pop off on there pc. interesting indeed. sorry if i just sound like babble . just tryin to be helpful.

yep that could be it 😆

but in game, if he would add 'seta' that should do the work right? And it would change in all et configs?

I'm trying not to touch my cfg and cuz of that i'm forgetting things 😕

The thing is, your NQ1 is the only server I encounter the problem. I have already set the megs values to different recommandations, did countless vid_restart and even reinstalled ET without a change.

The problem doesn't appear when the server is not so crowded. I think I'll just play another server even if NQ is my favorite mode and come back every now and then to check if the problem doesn't disappear by itself.

u could remove ur nq mod folder . and let it reinstall it see if that fixes it, an no  to question u need to set in ur  perimiterline. there is also a diff place it stores ur ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~  ~ ~ ~  . file 

and [][][][][][][][][][][][][][].pak3 u need give them  full admin also.

are u using a custom cfg?  i would guess sense it does it only on nq1 and no place else and ur basically only person has this issue . its on ur end and not server end. something in ur et is conflicting with server. now if everyone was getting the same problem its def server side or bad file/ setting some where on server.

I know that the cs_method sort out the config string, and removes all informations that aren't necessary at a precise moment, keeping the config string below 16000 bytes, because over that, all ET clients crashes and get disconnect (not the server).  It's like a tool to "free the RAM" if you know what I mean.

For what I remember when it is enabled, the client needs to have a sort of communication with the server to synchronize the data's.

When you have a sort of bad connection (for example with restricted NAT) or poor upload performance, the "handshake" can fail as in your case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Snoopcat said:

The thing is, your NQ1 is the only server I encounter the problem. I have already set the megs values to different recommandations, did countless vid_restart and even reinstalled ET without a change.

The problem doesn't appear when the server is not so crowded. I think I'll just play another server even if NQ is my favorite mode and come back every now and then to check if the problem doesn't disappear by itself.

Changed to 15 from 10. Let's monitor now. Let me know if you face the issue again. 

• Leader

I just joined NQ#1 and the msg was onscreen for about 5 sec and at map change, the times were 5sec, less than 1s (receiving) and 1sec.  37 Players were on.

• Thanks 1

I just joined with less than 15 players and the problem remains the same.

I deleted the NQ folder and downloaded all the files again while connecting on the server without a change.

I don't have any specific config, I've already tried with the ETplayer cfg and it was the same.
Other people from my clan and clan's firends had the message for a long time but not even close to my situation.