Increase ping in close combat

Maximo Decimo

A regular player from Silent server, Am Joku reported me that he has had troubles with his ping while he plays in close combat, i mean, in from of the enemy. Example: his ping is stable around 180-190 but sometimes when he enter in a close combat, his ping increase to 210 or more for few seconds.

I havent seen that problem before so i would appreciate it anyone knows how to fix it and help him.

PD: i only recorded a demo but probably it wont help much because i took it from my office´s pc and it sucks for games.

Demo: http://www.mediafire.com/?z8ns3kq298xnia0

Edited by Maximo Decimo

Happens to me all the time too :P I think its just slow internet - I concluded that you can get decent ping even on poor internet (as long as your connection is stable) but once the server is sending you lots more packets due to close-range, your internet gets jammed up.. I could be wrong but thats the only explanation I came up with since it has always happened to me.. I am pretty good at range but suck close up because of this.

Edited by Chuckun

So, that can means that the problem is his ISP (internet service provider). Maybe.

I forget to mention that he has a good conection, 20 Mb. But sometimes, even you have a high download speed, if the ISP is not working good, there is nothing you can do.

Thank you Chuck for the info :)

Chuckun: that was my own analysis also, but the weird thing is that it is not the same case on jaymod servers. Fa1, fa2 and fa3 are more than playable and close combat does not increase the ping same way; or at least not enough for me to notice it. It only happens, noticeably, on servers that are running silent mod. So forth, I asked Maximo - if he knew - if silent mod is somehow more sensitive to this unstability/ slowness in the connection, which would explain it; although I can not understand how that could be the case.. And as a second note, if someone with this same problem had found some mysterious trick or settings that might remove it or make it more bearable.

But yea it might be a case for where there is nothing that can be done.. was just wondering if there are lots of other people with this same problem on silent mod.

And thanks for the post Maximo

Edited by Joku_.

I'm with Chuckun on this one but maybe he should try and run a WinMTR report (during normal gaming), and also provide his computer specs. I used to have the same issue myself with my older PC, it has since been resolved with better ISP and PC.

Edited by Novice

It is my connection for sure, since it only started after I moved. But the thing I'm puzzled about is why it is effecting so much on silent mod, but not the same way on jaymod..

Have you guys gave thought to 'time nudge'? A result of someone using negatve value for timenudge is that the other players will have their ping increased - i.e. lag initially.

What are the following set to: cl_maxpackets, rate and snaps, fps, affinity (CPU cores)?

Also can you run ping "server name/IP" and tracert "server name/IP" using your command prompt from both locations ? If the latter is showing tha the traceroute is taking more steps this could be part of your problem.

D_R

Edited by Death_Reincarnated

• Clan Friend

I see tons of lost server frames in the demo, but why didn't he record himself?

Of course the lost server snapshots are lost by the one who recorded, and not by the player, so you can't tell if he loses server frames himself or not (I guess yes, but it's just a guess)

One thing is clear, though: his ping is more or less the same troughout the whole demo. A bit unsteady, but nothing so terrible, and it doesn't change during fights.

mtr is a good idea, but it doesn't capture all the infos, it seems.

For example yesterday I had a steady packet loss visible in my lagometer on stopwatch server (red vertical bars, i.e. a server frame didn't arrive) I opened a console window and made an mtr while I was still playing, and while mtr said 0% loss, in game I had obviously red bars or I'm blind.

Of course I got steamrolled, because with such packet loss enemies seem to move at 5fps during some fights. Maybe this is the thing you are experiencing?

Keep your lagometer always on and check if you have high vertical red lines (on etpro, and maybe other mods, lost packets aren't red, but it's just a missing line, a 'hole', in the green part below)

• Like 1

@Joku - the fact it only happens on one server doesn't necessarily mean theres a problem with the server - it simply means that your connection to the server is probably getting bottlenecked at one of the connection points along the way - could be a server issue, or it could be your ISP's routing.. WinMTR is the only way to find out :)

• Clan Friend

was your ingame ping constant sunlight?

my lagometer was more or less flat, but when I have a really steady ping it's like a rectangle (you can't even see a pixel above or below) (the lower part at the right, I was probably dead and speccing one with lower ping)

here can see those red bars instead

lagometer.png

I attached silent and fa2 cmd/ ping and tracert to the post.

Here are the WinMTR datas. And as one can see packet loss is 0 on all servers. Btw why didn't it break down the whole path, but "simplyfied" it like this, is this even correct? But even from this you can see that the loss comes from my side..

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                                 hi.link -    0 | 2079 | 2079 |    0 |    0 |    3 |    0 |
|                             10.96.11.50 -    0 | 2078 | 2078 |   30 |   49 | 1764 |  120 |
|                             10.96.11.49 -    0 | 2078 | 2078 |   31 |   49 | 1644 |  177 |
|                      silent.clan-fa.com -    0 | 2078 | 2078 |   31 |   50 | 1989 |  163 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                                 hi.link -    0 |  741 |  741 |    0 |    0 |    2 |    0 |
|                             10.96.11.50 -    0 |  742 |  742 |   32 |   48 |   99 |   83 |
|                             10.96.11.49 -    0 |  742 |  742 |   32 |   49 |  120 |   68 |
|                        jay1.clan-fa.com -    0 |  742 |  742 |   33 |   47 |  103 |   65 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

|                                 hi.link -    0 | 2118 | 2118 |    0 |    0 |    9 |    0 |
|                             10.96.11.50 -    0 | 2118 | 2118 |   30 |   49 |  198 |   38 |
|                             10.96.11.49 -    0 | 2118 | 2118 |   31 |   48 |  216 |   40 |
|                 108.61.21.94.choopa.net -    0 | 2118 | 2118 |   32 |   48 |  224 |   57 |

Specs: i5 2,53 GHz, Radeon HD 5650, 4Gb DDR3. I run pretty much low(ish) graphics all essentially extra is removed. Some of the settings: 100 maxpackets, 32 000 rate, 125fps.

And to what Sunlight wrote about packet loss and so forth the enemies seeming to move at 5fps during some fights, it seems exactly what I am experiencing on silent, but not quite that heavily. I paid really close attention to my lagometer today and it seems to go on yellow, but not on red like it does for you..

post-3023-0-45916800-1367617106_thumb.png

post-3023-0-71772100-1367617118_thumb.png

Edited by Joku_.

my lagometer was more or less flat, but when I have a really steady ping it's like a rectangle (you can't even see a pixel above or below) (the lower part at the right, I was probably dead and speccing one with lower ping)

here can see those red bars instead

attachicon.giflagometer.png

Same thing happens to me on F|A silent/HC/SW if more than 20 or so join.  No problems in any other mods or servers.  I've noticed quite a few players that seem to also suffer the same problem.

• Like 1