A weird thing that happened to me...

Ol Smoke

This was 1982 and I am at a meeting in Eugene, Oregon, of the Oregon Society of Radiological Technologists.

We had completed the days study groups and were heading into the banquet room for dinner.  As we were

entering the doors, a lady asked if I wanted to buy some raffle tickets for a dollar apiece.  I said, sure and bought

10 of them.

We had dinner and listened to a local stand up comedian who was pretty good.  Then they started the raffle.

All the tickets were in a big round drum and they turned it over several times and a lady picked one out.

She said the number,  and I looked at my tickets and wow!  I won. So I went up to the front and she handed me

a red/black Pendelton® blanket.  I went back to my seat and everybody wanted to see the blanket.  She called

another number after spinning the barrel again.  Boom!  It was my ticket, but another number I had.  So I went

up to the front and she handed me this 35mm camera.  Now everybody is going,  "Fix!" boooo!  So I sat down

and the guys at my table had quite a laugh about it.  So people are yelling, "Mix up the tickets better"  So the

lady reached into the drum and swooshed the tickets around, then spun the drum one way a few times then

the other way a few times.  "There", she said.  "That should stir them up"   She reached in and, you guessed it,

my number again.  Now people are getting angry and I am not the most liked guy in the place.  So I go up

to the front and she gives me a golf putter.  I go back and sit down.  She draws another number, thank God it

wasn't mine.  Then another, and a few more.  Now we come to the grand prize of the night.  A free weekend at

this super nice hotel on the beach, including all meals and this luxurious ocean view state room.  So they spin

the drum and she flips the tickets all over and she reaches deep inside and yee-haw , I win again.

All in all, I won about $600 worth of stuff.  (1982 money- today about $1800)

Now the weird thing is, up until that time of my life, I had won only one thing, a spinning reel/pole outfit when I

was about 15 years old.  I have never been able to explain how my tickets kept getting picked.  Truly weird.

• Like 3