Do you carry a firearm when they leave their home?

Medic Kane

^^ In Western-Europe it is really forbidden to carry a gun, other than from the shop to home and from home to shooting range. I know that holds for Netherlands, Germany, France, Belgium, UK, etc. For Spain and Italy I'm not sure though, but I doubt it's different. Group those together and you have more inhabitants than in the USA.

For Eastern-Europe I have no idea; never been there in my life yet.

You can't transport loaded magazines in Belgium

Gun needs  to be in gun case and suited with trigger lock...

(if I remember my stepdad saying, he owns a gun for sportshooting)

So in Belgium you are better with carrying a stone than a gun :P

But what I have been wondering, most of you guys are speaking of concealing the gun while carrying it.

Why would you want to do that, my logic says the gun is for self defense so showing you got one on ya says: DON'T f*** WITH ME.

Makes more sense than hiding it. Can somebody explain why you want to hide it?

Edited by DrJoske

You can't transport loaded magazines in Belgium

Gun needs  to be in gun case and suited with trigger lock...

(if I remember my stepdad saying, he owns a gun for sportshooting)

So in Belgium you are better with carrying a stone than a gun :P

But what I have been wondering, most of you guys are speaking of concealing the gun while carrying it.

Why would you want to do that, my logic says the gun is for self defense so showing you got one on ya says: DON'T f*** WITH ME.

Firearms are concealed for numerous reasons. 

1. It's really nobody's business if I carry or not.

2. Some people panic when they see a firearm.

3. You fit in better, you're just another guy in the crowd. No standing out as the guy with a gun.

4. Less chance of being asked to leave an establishment if another customer sees your firearm and feels nervous about it.

5. You also won't attract the WRONG attention from a badguy that wants to challenge you somehow.

Nobody carries a gun because they want to pick a fight or start trouble. They carry because they want to be left alone.

• Like 1

Some people don't like to flaunt it. If I were to start carrying a weapon I would conceal it. You draw attention to yourself when you open carry and that is attention I would rather avoid :P

Plus with all the shootings that are in the news these days I am sure there are people out there that would get uneasy at the sight of a gun. Could cause more problems than is really necessary.

EDIT: Antichrist pretty much summed up my feelings.

Edited by Corey

Well, yeah I thought about those things myself.

Although I disagree about the first point: as soon as you are in public is bloody well my business that you carry a gun (my opinion and not going to argue about it). Just like I rather see who got the gun than being in public knowing there is a 'large' chance somebody is carrying a gun on him (again my opinion and not going to start an discussion about gunlaws and stuff again :P).

Thanks for answering.

I believe in more or less every country you can obtain a license to carry a gun, the legal procedure and limitations to allowed gun specifications is what varies I suppose, and I have the feeling people from US seem to practice that right more than EU people. I'm not sure why is there such a difference in opinion when it comes to gun control and bearing firearms between Europe and US. Somehow I doubt US is much more dangerous than Europe that it should warrant using firearms for personal safety. Personally, I would find it a burden carrying a weapon around. I feel uncomfortable around armed personnel, even the police.

Would part of the reason for this discomfort be the disparity in force? IE, there is nothing you can do to defend yourself from the officer?

Dr. Joske. I often open carry for just the reason you stated. Some people call it  a 20 meter (or yard) circle of safety). Proponents of open carry find it more comfortable, and especially in warmer areas where shorts or smaller shirts are worn. There is also a belief among some "that a right not exercised is a right that is lost." It often starts conversations about why you carry (same reason I wear a seatbelt), what a persons rights are, and what the law is. A lot of people simply do not know they can open carry (everyone in my State can), don't know how to get a License to carry a Firearm (needed to conceal carry or during a State of Emergency). I often open carry, and I've never been asked to leave. My bank is fine with open carry. IF a business does not like me open carrying, then they won't get my money ever again. 

People who do not Open carry, conceal carry for many of the reasons already listed. Some people also believe it gives you "the element of surprise" because the bad guy does not know you are armed. 

• Like 1

There is a book done by a Professer

John Lott

"More Guns , less crime"

http://www.amazon.com/More-Guns-Less-Crime-Understanding/dp/0226493660/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365346202&sr=8-2&keywords=john+lott

It's a great book, goes over all the stats. about crime and CCW.

My wife carries and I carry in our state.  We both have a CCW permit.

Would part of the reason for this discomfort be the disparity in force? IE, there is nothing you can do to defend yourself from the officer?

Why would one feel the urge to defend thyself against an officer?

I absolutely have no idea. Perhaps since I can't recall a Rodney King incident in the Netherlands, but nonetheless I really cannot understand it. When people here start walking around with (concealed) weapons good chance I shit more colors than a rainbow, but for officers there's the only exception. I trust officers more than anyone else.

Edited by rolf

Frankly, I'm unsure. I guess I percieve it as a some sort of a threat, regardless of can I respond to the threat on equal terms or not. It's not that an officer would pull a gun on you for no reason, law enforcement shouldn't cause fear in law abiding citizens.

Frankly, I'm unsure. I guess I percieve it as a some sort of a threat, regardless of can I respond to the threat on equal terms or not. It's not that an officer would pull a gun on you for no reason, law enforcement shouldn't cause fear in law abiding citizens.

I agree law enforcement should not cause fear in law abiding citizens, but we all know of cases of martial law and police brutality. Cops sometimes forget they work for the people not the other way around.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/8/burger-king-diner-defeats-would-be-robber-shooting/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

A father who was trying to eat with his family at Burger King was able to defeat an armed robber by pulling his own weapon and shooting at him, Miami police said.

It was at the height of lunch time, about 1 p.m., when a would-be robber walked into a Burger King, flashed his gun at one of the family diners, and demanded the diner fork over money and valuables, police said in a CBS report. The robber was exiting when the father, who feared for his and his family’s life, CBS said, took out his own gun and shot the suspect in the leg.

The suspect then fled in his Ford F-150. Police later found him — 36-year-old Travis Harris — and the driver of the truck, 38-year-old Ramon Smalls, at a gas station down the road, CBS said.

The pair was linked to another robbery of a woman that took place earlier that day, CBS said. Mr. Harris was taken to the hospital for treatment and was charged with three counts of armed robbery, police said.

© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.